Awesome video on the dumbing down of TES games

#101Akito_KinomotoPosted 2/7/2013 7:05:20 PM
How did people manage to sneak Call of Duty into this discussion?
---
I won't forget our promise we made. I close my eyes to make sure
I will move forward, shaking off the surging darkness.
#102JohnRyan1228Posted 2/7/2013 8:05:47 PM
Akito_Kinomoto posted...

By being idiots
---
If I ever cared about what you had to say, I'd stick a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes.
#103DarkImpact2021Posted 2/7/2013 8:34:43 PM
Some of the features are streamlined and others are just dumbed down. I understand some of their design decisions such as combining short blade, long blade, dagger, blunt weapon, etc... but some skill sets I feel dumbed down the game. In particular, acrobatics and athletics. Oblivion pretty much killed Acrobatics because it lost Morrowind's over-the-top jump mechanics that gave it a unique edge other games don't have. Atheltics persisted in Oblivion, but was removed (for the worse) in Skyrim.

I also understand the necessity for adding Fast Travel, but I do wish they would have kept more modes of transportation. I really liked the Carriage in Skyrim and I would often roleplay taking it into town for supplies since I use one of the Hearthfire homes. I wish they would have kept some of the other modes of transportation like Mages' Guild teleportation and spells like Mark and Recall and Divine Intervention.

Although I don't feel this dumbed down the game, I can't really say it was streamlined when they got rid of the Journal Entries. It was a personal little touch like Morrowind's jump mechanics that just made it unique. I loved going through my mission 'journal entries.' Much more interesting than a simple quest update.

Than like I noticed mentioned earlier, I really feel like the removal of Hard Loot from the game lost some of the appeal of Loot Hunting in the game. Especially with the naming system of Weapons and armor in the game. In Morrowind (and to a small degree Oblivion) it was very clear cut the difference between basic/enchanted weapons and special weapons, which I always enjoyed collecting.

I could go on forever about how they shouldn't have added physics to items or they should have added a better system for manipulating items that you're trying to put onto shelves or display cases and how combat should have done this instead of that, but for the most part I've covered the things that I feel dumbed down or steamlined the game, but ultimately the changes are done and gone. Oblivion and Skyrim were both excellent games in their own right and although Morrowind is still my favorite game in the series, each game has brought it's own thing to the table and the games have excelled for being unique on their own, but similar enough as a franchise.
#104KotomineKireiPosted 2/7/2013 8:38:52 PM(edited)
Akito_Kinomoto posted...

Whenever "dumbing down" and video games are both present, Call of Duty lurks, waiting for the opportune moment to present itself and strike frustration into the minds of gamers everywhere...
---
"EVENT ENDED!"
---
#105Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 2/7/2013 9:31:46 PM
KotomineKirei posted...

6. That may be true, but since the bigger market makes more profit for the developer/publisher, they ignore the smaller markets and make things for the bigger market, while trying to convert the smaller market.

I think mainstreaming of games sort of hurts the creativity in them.
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#106kamahl25Posted 2/7/2013 9:35:23 PM
It's amazing how opinions are tossed around like facts nowadays in the gaming world

In your opinion games are being dumbed down

In my opinion they are not
#107Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 2/7/2013 9:44:31 PM
I honestly hope bethesda doesn't take the streamlining hammer to fallout 4.
---
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#108kamahl25Posted 2/7/2013 9:45:47 PM
Kant_Remoob_Eht posted...

I hope they do just so I can come to the boards and see you whine more
#109turn_basedPosted 2/7/2013 9:49:22 PM

I guess you haven't played 3 yet, eh?

:1
---
Redguards Rule!
#110Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 2/7/2013 9:50:56 PM
kamahl25 posted...

I hope they do just so I can come to the boards and see you whine more

If they do streamline it, I assume they would first get rid of the SPECIAL system and replace it with Health, and whatever for the other two. They would merge unarmed and melee skills together, guns and energy weapons would get merged together, survival and medicine would get merged together. The perk system would change so that it isn't fully based on your level but more of your skill level. I also assume they will shove in the ability to craft your own guns, and be able to make one tier of guns straight from the beginning wether or not you have a very low guns and repair level.
---