Awesome video on the dumbing down of TES games

#131JohnRyan1228Posted 2/8/2013 6:36:29 PM
Kant_Remoob_Eht posted...
JohnRyan1228 posted...
GriffRoberts posted...
Making the game easier so that it appeals to a bigger audience is also casualization

But why is the game easier? Is Morrowind harder because it's old school and hardcore to the max? Or is it because of frustrating game mechanics and a really steep learning curve? Hell, look at all the reasons Daggerfall's difficult: Pointlessly labyrinthine dungeons, convoluted interface, and straight up broken gameplay.

I think Skyrim's only easier as a result of improved gameplay mechanics, especially in combat. Compared to Oblivion, it can be easier and harder at times, now that they've treated the ridiculous level scaling problem.

This is actually a decent point. But still I would be happy with a steeper learning curve

Do any recent games have a steepish learning curve that doesn't really hold your hand?

Not that I can think of. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like a couple.
---
If I ever cared about what you had to say, I'd stick a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes.
#132Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 2/8/2013 6:48:12 PM
zerobobo posted...
turn_based posted...
I honestly hope bethesda doesn't take the streamlining hammer to fallout 4.

I guess you haven't played 3 yet, eh?

:1

Fallout 3? I've played it and NV. They kept most of the general things, SPECIAL system, perks, traits (with NV at least). Though they did limit some things, it still felt like it had some sense of rpgness to it. I will ignore the limited map size compared to the older fallout games mainly due to how the map system was set up with them (the old ones that is).

But I wonder if fallout 4 would go back to being a perspective view game. Mainly with how awkward it seems like to use VATS in first person.

yes having a horribly imbalanced SPECIAL system kinda defeats the purpose. using guns? why the hell do you have a strength higher than 6? melee character get rid of that perception you dont need it. agility and intelligence are SUPER AWESOME. charisma? why bother! they honestly should have ditched the SPECIAL system as its well, bad int he new games, it was great in 1&2 as there were consquences for having super low stats.

in fallout 4 if they keep the SPECIAL system, i REALLY hope theres SEVERE consquences to having any stat being super low.
most people had a 1 charisma in FO3/ NV cus well it was utterly pointless. it should severely limit your dialogue options and make peaceful solutions to quests impossible with a 1 charisma. with a 1 charisma you shouldnt be able to talk your way out of a paper bag.

you're talking about dumbed down and you think FO3 and NV did it right? PLEASE. im offended.

Right, you know what they should have been like Skyrim and removed the attributes. Perks on every one or two levelups? Naw they should make it so you only have a skill tree that you get one point to spend in it. Vats should get completely replaced by something else. They should also pull a Oblivion and make later game cities already quick travel-able to.

And some of the issues of the attributes deal with going from a turn based system perspective view game to a realtime fps one. Since there are no turns agility has less use aside from APs and reload speed. Perception use is different... what with being mainly from a first person or third person view.
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#133Joe_CobbsPosted 2/8/2013 6:51:03 PM
Do any recent games have a steepish learning curve that doesn't really hold your hand?

Dark Souls. That's all I can think of though.
#134Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 2/8/2013 6:52:15 PM
Joe_Cobbs posted...

Yeah I already knew about that one, other than there aren't really that many if any at all that require the player to think more.
---
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#135Mental_CrushPosted 2/8/2013 7:32:03 PM
Joe_Cobbs posted...

Yeah I already knew about that one, other than there aren't really that many if any at all that require the player to think more.

How about the first Dragon Age? I didn't really play it much but I don't remember it being easy...
---
"We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."
#136Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 2/8/2013 7:34:56 PM
Mental_Crush posted...
Joe_Cobbs posted...

How about the first Dragon Age? I didn't really play it much but I don't remember it being easy...

Maybe... I played it too, but I don't remember anything from it.
---
#137WheezinEdPosted 2/8/2013 7:59:24 PM

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, STALKER series, Gothic 3, Crusader Kings II, Mount & Blade, etc etc etc. There's actually quite a few.
---
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/6348/problemjc.jpg
#138clone11Posted 2/8/2013 8:08:15 PM
Yeah, Dragon Age: Origins definitely doesn't hold your hand much and can be pretty difficult at times, especially if you play on a difficultly that has friendly fire enabled.

However, at the same time, playing a well built mage in DA:O can turn a lot of the toughest fights into easy mode.
---
"Bravery is by far the kindest word for stupidity..."
#139GriffRobertsPosted 2/8/2013 8:42:08 PM
Overly Labyrinth like dungeons? I would rather like having those.

You say that now, but... no. There's nothing fun about aimlessly wandering a giant dungeon for up to hours on end. Mazes sounds cool for video games, but they're almost never well received. For instance, I had to go through a dungeon to find a painting; after wandering around for about 45 minutes, I caved and looked it up in a guide. Lo and behold, I was exploring a gigantic section of the dungeon that literally has nothing to do with the location of the painting. Or anything.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#140Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 2/8/2013 9:53:32 PM
GriffRoberts posted...
Overly Labyrinth like dungeons? I would rather like having those.

You say that now, but... no. There's nothing fun about aimlessly wandering a giant dungeon for up to hours on end. Mazes sounds cool for video games, but they're almost never well received. For instance, I had to go through a dungeon to find a painting; after wandering around for about 45 minutes, I caved and looked it up in a guide. Lo and behold, I was exploring a gigantic section of the dungeon that literally has nothing to do with the location of the painting. Or anything.

Maybe, but it would be better than walking into a cave and it has very little areas to explore.
---