Awesome video on the dumbing down of TES games

#41JohnRyan1228Posted 2/6/2013 7:42:54 PM(edited)
zerobobo posted...
its also interesting to look at the complaints and bethesdas history.

people often over praise morrowind for alot of bad reasons.

100% handplaced loot. BAD idea. kills replayability and randomness. get top teir gear asap in morrowind, make a b-line to ghostgate and pick up some really easy to snag glass gear.

static never changing enemys in dungeons. limits your options, hampers freedom of exploration. adds tedium to alot of quests.
oh im level 25 and never explored this area before? guess what most of the places were are designed for level 5ish people. its tedious and unrewarding to explore that area and makes an interesting area to explore not really fun anymore since the enemies are so underpowered thats not fun, and oyu're not finding any worthwhile loot.

the reverse can also happen you can explore an area and find way too powerful stuff.
it may be an open world game, but that sort of design makes it fairly linear in how you play it. over here is pointless, its too low, over there is too high, so you get limited options and less freedom.

granted they went way too far in the other direction with leveled everything in oblivion, but if you'll look, they realized the flaws in that design style and changed. granted oblivions leveling system and leveled gear was awful, it was a good learning experience for them.

look at the system in skyrim. its actually very well done. look at bandits, they actually keep looking like bandits, with bandity gear but stay challenging. the randomized mostly leveled loot in chests and such also keep it worth your time to explore anywhere. it also makes sense bandits would stash all their expensive loot so they could pawn it off later. so that glass sword you found in the boss chest makes sense as they'd rather sell it than keep it.

yeah, i would have appreciated more unique items, and some more neat handplaced stuff, but hey im not much of a nitpicker

To each their own, but I prefer the idea that there can be an amazing sword in a dungeon, but if you try to get it at level 5 you will get your ass handed to you. Oblivions leveling was atrocious and skyrims greatly improves, but they should still take a lesson from Fallout and still have some awesome hand placed loot lying around.
---
If I ever cared about what you had to say, I'd stick a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes.
#42Joe_CobbsPosted 2/6/2013 7:46:23 PM
Agree completely with the video minus the value complaint (I couldn't care less).

I'll be interested to see what happens to TES VI but it has me really worried about the series.
#43Achronos117Posted 2/6/2013 7:46:33 PM
I agree with a lot of what this guy says. I don't mind the removal of all the armor slots, because there is lots of variation between the sets in Skyrim and the armor is pretty detailed and sweet looking. I do miss the depth and longevity of the factions of Morrowind, the fact that you could take out everyone including Vivec and the god tier loot in the game from the get go. The Journal is one of my biggest things, I loved how you had to figure out where you to go for your quests based on the journal entries. Overall though, I agree with the sentiment that, while not as good as Morrowind, Skyrim is leaps and bounds above Oblivion (all three are still amazing RPGs in my book).
---
Quick, to the Hinden-Peter!
#44BitakuPosted 2/6/2013 7:57:52 PM(edited)
JohnRyan1228 posted...
Bitaku posted...
The_Ivory_Man posted...
Nearly everything has been improved voice actors, combat, exploration, we are just missing hand placed loot and a "KILL EVERYTHING" switch

I actually think Morrowind had better exploration, but otherwise I pretty much agree. As for the essential NPC thing, I kind of get why it's there in Oblivion and Skyrim. There's a lot of random **** that constantly goes down and kills assorted NPCs, and I'd be pretty irked if a key quest giver was slain randomly during one of the numerous vampire/dragon/misc. raids. That being said, I do think they gave the essential status to waaaaay too many npcs.

So just make YOU the only person who can kill an essential

I'm not really arguing for it, hell, I have my game modded so that there are none. Personally, I'd just like to see main quest and guild quest givers have essential, and throw all the rest to the elements.

Joe_Cobbs posted...
Agree completely with the video minus the value complaint (I couldn't care less).

I'll be interested to see what happens to TES VI but it has me really worried about the series.

I don't know. If Oblivion had come after Skyrim, I'd be worried, but I thought that Skyrim reigned the casualness in a little bit, so I'm not too worried.
---
On a different website I'd say "I'm surprised you got modded for insulting Hitler." but not on GameFAQs. - CatfishWiggins
#45JohnRyan1228Posted 2/6/2013 7:58:18 PM
Bitaku posted...
JohnRyan1228 posted...
Bitaku posted...
The_Ivory_Man posted...
Nearly everything has been improved voice actors, combat, exploration, we are just missing hand placed loot and a "KILL EVERYTHING" switch

I actually think Morrowind had better exploration, but otherwise I pretty much agree. As for the essential NPC thing, I kind of get why it's there in Oblivion and Skyrim. There's a lot of random **** that constantly goes down and kills assorted NPCs, and I'd be pretty irked if a key quest giver was slain randomly during one of the numerous vampire/dragon/misc. raids. That being said, I do think they gave the essential status to waaaaay too many npcs.

I'm not really arguing for it, hell, I have my game modded so that there are none. Personally, I'd just like to see main quest and guild quest givers have essential, and throw all the rest to the elements.

I don't feel the same way. All should be killable. Maybe there can be rival guilds where you HAVE to kill opposing leaders.
---
If I ever cared about what you had to say, I'd stick a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes.
#46Joe_CobbsPosted 2/6/2013 8:01:50 PM
Bitaku posted...
I don't know. If Oblivion had come after Skyrim, I'd be worried, but I thought that Skyrim reigned the casualness in a little bit, so I'm not too worried.

They made some good choices with Skyrim but they also made a lot of bad choices. I'm not saying TES is doomed to a life of mediocrity but I'm worried that the bad will constantly outweigh the good.

Unfortunately, I really have no control over what happens so I just have to sit on the side lines with my fingers crossed.
#47JohnRyan1228Posted 2/6/2013 8:03:59 PM
Joe_Cobbs posted...
Bitaku posted...

They made some good choices with Skyrim but they also made a lot of bad choices. I'm not saying TES is doomed to a life of mediocrity but I'm worried that the bad will constantly outweigh the good.

Unfortunately, I really have no control over what happens so I just have to sit on the side lines with my fingers crossed.

I really don't feel the bad outweighed the good with skyrim. Certainly it was more even than with oblivion
---
#48Mr_Panda72Posted 2/6/2013 8:04:11 PM
JohnRyan1228 posted...
Bitaku posted...
The_Ivory_Man posted...

I disagree, I want monster attacks to wipe out entire towns. I used to spawn daedra by the bucketloads in cities just have them fight the town. A switch or a prompt command when starting a new character would be good.
---
The Fall of Reach was incredible and remains a landmark achievement in books - awesomephatman
#49BitakuPosted 2/6/2013 8:06:07 PM
I'm actually pretty surprised they didn't make it a toggable option in Skyrim, considering how many people were against it in Oblivion.
---
On a different website I'd say "I'm surprised you got modded for insulting Hitler." but not on GameFAQs. - CatfishWiggins
#50Joe_CobbsPosted 2/6/2013 8:07:32 PM
JohnRyan1228 posted...
I really don't feel the bad outweighed the good with skyrim. Certainly it was more even than with oblivion

It certainly is no where near as bad as Oblivion was so I suppose they did move in the right direction. We will just have to wait and see what happens next.

I am cautiously optimistic.