Awesome video on the dumbing down of TES games

#61iedahGPosted 2/7/2013 1:08:46 AM(edited)
iedahG posted...
Call of duty fanboys dont seem so bad now.

... ...
... ... ...
Considering I think CoD and its imitators/brethren are reflective of almost every problem in the video game industry... yes, promoting guns and violence included.... I must disagree, and quite sharply

I dont understand what you mean about the promoting gun violence part but most of the COD fish have come to terms and admit that they are buying into braindead rehashes yearly. Their responses are usually "I buy it because its fun" or if it isnt broke dont fix it, take my money activision".
This new breed of Bethdrones cant even admit that the elderscrolls is being dumbed down with each new release even though everyone and their grandmother knows its common practice now and is being done so this company can make money and are no different from other developers who put their roots behind profit. It could just be denial but either way they act like fanatics.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=) --" Make things easy for people, not difficult."
#62alex1_2_3_4_5Posted 2/7/2013 1:15:39 AM
I started watching the video with the second post in mind (streamling=/=dumbing down) and I thought for sure that would be my response. As he made his initial points, I struggled a little. By the halfway point in the video, I realized most things he said were correct and realized how much I would love the game the way it was supposed to be.
---
White FC: 0132 3012 2303
#63Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 2/7/2013 1:17:32 AM
Streamlining may not be equal to dumbing down, but in the course of streamlining the game some things may be dumbed down.
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#64zeroboboPosted 2/7/2013 1:21:52 AM
what exactly is wrong with CoD?
its a yearly franchise that only slightly changes from game to game, yes. countless sports franchises do the same thing and only really change the rosters. so what is the big deal?

the game runs at a great frame rate. the controls are super tight and well made.

i mean honestly, it's a well made fast paced twitch shooter. whats wrong with that? why does every gaming hipster seem the need to beat up on it, do you think it makes you look smart?

i dont even like call of duty, my main issue with it is the circle designs of almost every map where i feel like im running in circles. the mechanics are well designed though, the shooting feels solid, its controls are so natural feeling its easy to pick up and play. i hate to say it, but its a quality made franchise.

anyone who says CoD is the "death of video games" or any stupid rhetoric like that is an idiot jumping on the hate bandwagon.

also, if you say stuff like "bethdrones" or "biodrones" or "CoD fish" you're also an idiot that thankfully telegraphs it so i can stop taking you seriously early on.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#65Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 2/7/2013 1:34:51 AM
zerobobo posted...
its a yearly franchise that only slightly changes from game to game, yes. countless sports franchises do the same thing and only really change the rosters. so what is the big deal?

the game runs at a great frame rate. the controls are super tight and well made.

i mean honestly, it's a well made fast paced twitch shooter. whats wrong with that? why does every gaming hipster seem the need to beat up on it, do you think it makes you look smart?

i dont even like call of duty, my main issue with it is the circle designs of almost every map where i feel like im running in circles. the mechanics are well designed though, the shooting feels solid, its controls are so natural feeling its easy to pick up and play. i hate to say it, but its a quality made franchise.

anyone who says CoD is the "death of video games" or any stupid rhetoric like that is an idiot jumping on the hate bandwagon.

also, if you say stuff like "bethdrones" or "biodrones" or "CoD fish" you're also an idiot that thankfully telegraphs it so i can stop taking you seriously early on.

Well made it may be, but honestly little changes in COD games aside from the SP (which may or may not have any effort put into it), variations in the guns, some gimmick, and whatever the change to the killstreaks (scorestreaks) are. Most of the time it feels like you are playing the same well made arcadey COD game with each iteration of it.

And death of video game would likely pertain to more of how games seem to becoming more 'casual' for the current generation of gamers. While cod itself doesn't necessarily hold the burden of casualising the game market on its shoulders alone, being the most 'popular' (successful) fps game puts it in the firing range for hate and what not.

And on the subject of the elder scrolls games being dumbed down. Yes I think they did in some way... mainly on the hand holding where you can do nothing wrong.
---
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#66iedahGPosted 2/7/2013 1:40:10 AM

butt hurt much?

Nothings wrong with call of duty, its actually a decent shooter. The problem is other developers try to mimic the formula and ruin their own games. Remember when tom clancy games use to have in depth stage planing and team management? Gone.
Resident evil used to be one of the best horror games, now its a shooting gallery.
Ace combat used to be a skill oriented arcade flight game, now its a on rail shooter with quick time events.
Maybe you should actually read what others said before responding.

Also how does Poking fun at irrational or gullible fanboys make you an idiot? Game faq users....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=) --" Make things easy for people, not difficult."
#67zeroboboPosted 2/7/2013 1:43:43 AM
Kant_Remoob_Eht posted...
zerobobo posted...

Well made it may be, but honestly little changes in COD games aside from the SP (which may or may not have any effort put into it), variations in the guns, some gimmick, and whatever the change to the killstreaks (scorestreaks) are. Most of the time it feels like you are playing the same well made arcadey COD game with each iteration of it.

And death of video game would likely pertain to more of how games seem to becoming more 'casual' for the current generation of gamers. While cod itself doesn't necessarily hold the burden of casualising the game market on its shoulders alone, being the most 'popular' (successful) fps game puts it in the firing range for hate and what not.

And on the subject of the elder scrolls games being dumbed down. Yes I think they did in some way... mainly on the hand holding where you can do nothing wrong.

you know.
games in general aren't being dumbed down. you can get real nitpicky, but there are far more complex game mechanics now than there were 10 years ago, games are also more detailed now, they have alot more polish.

"casualising" games is not the death of games. it is actually going to help the game industry as a whole. today playing video games is a pretty normal thing for young adults, its becoming common for females to play video games too. thats a GOOD THING. games like CoD and Halo and such, lots of "gaming hipsters" scoff at them and bash anyone who likes them, but they're fantastic for the industry.

also, why on earth does it make you better if you like games like skyrim and mass effect and another person likes games like CoD and madden? people have different tastes.

the gaming industry has never been bigger or more diverse. theres hardcore realistic shooters like ARMA, theres arcadey military stuff like CoD, theres huge open world RPGs like skyrim, theres super challenging dungeon crawlers like dark souls, the indie gaming scene is bigger than ever.

hell last year a turn based strategy game came out on consoles and it was AMAZING. (X-com btw). it oddly plays better with a controller than it does with a mouse, and its a turn based strategy game! 5 years ago that game would have never been able to be released, but its a pretty damn successful game and thats awesome.

CoD is fine. sleezy DLC practices are what needs to be addressed. CoD only charges for new maps, thats fine. Dead Space 3 has what are essentially cheat codes as DLC now thats a problem.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#68Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 2/7/2013 1:57:50 AM
zerobobo posted...

Kant_Remoob_Eht posted...

you know.
games in general aren't being dumbed down. you can get real nitpicky, but there are far more complex game mechanics now than there were 10 years ago, games are also more detailed now, they have alot more polish.

"casualising" games is not the death of games. it is actually going to help the game industry as a whole. today playing video games is a pretty normal thing for young adults, its becoming common for females to play video games too. thats a GOOD THING. games like CoD and Halo and such, lots of "gaming hipsters" scoff at them and bash anyone who likes them, but they're fantastic for the industry.

also, why on earth does it make you better if you like games like skyrim and mass effect and another person likes games like CoD and madden? people have different tastes.

the gaming industry has never been bigger or more diverse. theres hardcore realistic shooters like ARMA, theres arcadey military stuff like CoD, theres huge open world RPGs like skyrim, theres super challenging dungeon crawlers like dark souls, the indie gaming scene is bigger than ever.

hell last year a turn based strategy game came out on consoles and it was AMAZING. (X-com btw). it oddly plays better with a controller than it does with a mouse, and its a turn based strategy game! 5 years ago that game would have never been able to be released, but its a pretty damn successful game and thats awesome.

CoD is fine. sleezy DLC practices are what needs to be addressed. CoD only charges for new maps, thats fine. Dead Space 3 has what are essentially cheat codes as DLC now thats a problem.

Dumbing down is part of casualising. How many games get you to use your brain to figure out what you need to do? Health getting low? Just let it regen, because everyone has Wolverine like healing powers (wether or not it fits within the game).

And gaining a wider consumer base doesn't help the gaming industry entirely. While sure the companies get more money (yay for them), that also means they have to take out/change features or parts of their games to fit the market.

And while more complex game mechanics/better graphics are all fine and dandy (though in the elderscrolls it sort of bounces back and forth with the game mechanics), the hand holding is rather annoying and is a unneeded game mechanic.
---
#69KotomineKireiPosted 2/7/2013 2:05:55 AM
zerobobo posted...
they streamlined it.
its not dumbed down.

basically i tune out anytime anyone goes "rah rah they dumbed this down!" because very rarely do they dumb anything down.

"dumb down" and "streamline" are both correct, as they both can mean to simplify something(albeit one can be more insulting to those who only buy the game after it is simplified)

In the case of TES, "dumb down" seems to be more appropriate.
They removed the attributes(a staple of most RPGs), removed spell creation, and reduced the amount of spell, armor, and weapon types, had enemies level with you, etc.

There's more, but I can't recall currently.

Point is, they removed these because the audience they are aiming for now, most likely, are confused by:
Stats
(What do Strength, Intelligence, Personality, etc. do?? It's too confusing!!)
Variety
(There's so many, which do I choose!? I just want to beat things up!)
Difficulty
(*level 1 fighting level 20*He won't die!! This game must be broken!!)

In my opinion, they are aiming for Call of Duty players, but if they continue doing so, we who would want games like Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout, etc. will be left in the dirt, because nearly everyone else is doing it too.
---
"EVENT ENDED!"
---
#70Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 2/7/2013 2:07:28 AM
I hate hipsters... And i couldn't care less whether I've been hating them before it became the norm to hate them... because then that would be hypocritical...
---
The bears can smell the menstruation