Awesome video on the dumbing down of TES games

#91SoulOfFaythPosted 2/7/2013 12:23:50 PM
lorddrago88 posted...
Skyrim may be less complex than Morrowind, but I found it much more fun.

Complain about changes and what not, but if a game isn't fun, it's not worth playing.

Thats cus ur dumb lol u dont like smart games man i feel so much better about myself now.

yeah that was sarcasm too.
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#92Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 2/7/2013 3:32:51 PM
Justin2Krelian posted...
Belgarion05 posted...

- Lack of conversation options is not streamlining

I didn't watch the video yet, but Skyrim's dialogue system >> Morrowind's. I'll take "I work for Belethor. At the General Goods store" over "Vivec is a big place, even us residents get lost sometimes" said by a dozen characters any day.

Actually the dialogue was more on that you could learn large amounts of info about that person/the place they are living/other things by talking to them, while the npcs in skyrim don't have near as many.

And honestly I would rather have them say that than the rather old sayings the guards like to say.
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#93swervingcarzPosted 2/7/2013 3:47:05 PM
that vid was cray cray long
#94The_nibletPosted 2/7/2013 3:48:12 PM
guys this is like politics even though we may not agree with him on many points all sides must be heard.
---
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4723/mudcrabkill.png
The Infamous Mobb Deep.
#95Justin2KrelianPosted 2/7/2013 4:39:54 PM
Kant_Remoob_Eht posted...
Justin2Krelian posted...
Belgarion05 posted...

I didn't watch the video yet, but Skyrim's dialogue system >> Morrowind's. I'll take "I work for Belethor. At the General Goods store" over "Vivec is a big place, even us residents get lost sometimes" said by a dozen characters any day.

Actually the dialogue was more on that you could learn large amounts of info about that person/the place they are living/other things by talking to them, while the npcs in skyrim don't have near as many.

And honestly I would rather have them say that than the rather old sayings the guards like to say.

The guards are generic, I'll give you that. But the fact that so many Morrowind characters give you the SAME information makes it much less interesting.
#96sunbro1Posted 2/7/2013 4:43:39 PM
HatchetHound posted...
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not

It's sarcasm.

The sad thing is that i couldn't actually tell due to the fact that many people on this board actually believe things like that.
#97Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 2/7/2013 4:44:48 PM
Justin2Krelian posted...
Kant_Remoob_Eht posted...
Justin2Krelian posted...
Belgarion05 posted...

The guards are generic, I'll give you that. But the fact that so many Morrowind characters give you the SAME information makes it much less interesting.

True. Though in Skyrim it does seem a little lacking, but most of the dialogue is unique-ish (Skyrim did do much better than Oblivion though).
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#98SxmfctPosted 2/7/2013 4:58:31 PM
tag
---
"We play the game without having to worry about viruses, system instability, OS deterioration, Compatibility issues, or crappy controls." - 95_Eclipse
#99KotomineKireiPosted 2/7/2013 6:31:22 PM
zerobobo posted...

no. they are not aiming for the Call of Duty players. TES is an RPG franchise. COD is a shooter franchise. yes there is overlap where people play both genres but they are different demographics.

stats. well in TES they've usually been pretty pointless. they dont really have much significance and were easly boosted. losing them did nothing to hinder the enjoyment of the game unless you're a crazy person.

the change to the pacing of the game, with the well done level scaling in skyrim is good game design. the hand placed enemies of wide ranging levels is bad pacing for an OPEN WORLD GAME. it narrows your options and limits freedom, the opposite of what the game is supposed to be.

Oblivion is a mess of overly complex (not hard to understand mind you), just a pain in the ass, stats and leveling systems a god awful level scaling system. Fallout, i assume you mean the newer 360 games, are super streamlined compared to the origional so you listing that as a precious "hardcore game" is laughable.

basically, stop whining you have no idea what you're talking about. your bandwagon hatred of popular games makes you look petty.

and basic captialism, if there is a market for it and profit to be made, someone will make it and sell it. so dont worry buddy.

big games like CoD, TES, halo, ect. are fantastic for the gaming industry because it mainstreams it.

also, morrowind was not that good, take off your damn nostalgia glasses people, i played the hell out of it and i loved it, but damn its not this crazy holy grail of RPGs like so many people seem to think it is.

1. I'm almost confident, that they are aiming for the majority, which usually means Call of Duty players or people who do not usually play RPGs.
After all TES is almost all action, no RPG, now.

2. Stats aren't pointless and there was no reason to remove them.
There were instances in TES games where you could use your attributes, though I do believe they could have gone with Fallout's approach to attributes and made them more meaningful than they were.

3. Leveled enemies and loot make the game bland and you end up expecting the same old, same old every fight or place you loot.

4. I didn't say anything about Fallout being a hardcore series.
As a matter of fact, I didn't mention the words hardcore in my post, at all.
Though, I'd say, at the least, the recent Fallout games have kept a good bit of what made Fallout games what they were.
Also, the only things that were a pain in Oblivion, were the repair system and looking at most NPCs' faces.

5. I don't hate Skyrim(though I consider it bland, and full of things that could have been better), and I generally don't hate games(Call of Duty 6+ and Velvet Assassin being exceptions)
So, perhaps you could stop jumping to conclusions...?

6. That may be true, but since the bigger market makes more profit for the developer/publisher, they ignore the smaller markets and make things for the bigger market, while trying to convert the smaller market.

7. I played Morrowind just recently(thus no nostalgia), and I have to say, you're semi-wrong.
While it isn't the holy grail of RPGs, it was still a very good game with a great atmosphere.
---
"EVENT ENDED!"
---
#100EdgeofLethePosted 2/7/2013 6:46:24 PM
Video was a bit repetitive, but I agree with a lot of things he says. Some of it is stuff that Bethesda gets right in FO...

Oh well. I still bought it, he still bought it...
---
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle