So I try to do the first quest of the Mages' College....

#1alexponentialPosted 2/7/2013 12:48:25 AM
as soon as I leave town to go to Saarthal there is a Sabre Cat. I'm only a level 11 mage so it kills me in two hits. If I manage to get around it there's ANOTHER Sabre Cat right around the corner on the way to Saarthal as well. AND sometimes there's even a goddamn dragon that appears in the middle of it all. Do they NOT want me to get to Saarthal until I'm a higher level or something?
#2zeroboboPosted 2/7/2013 12:50:35 AM
i assume by sabre cat you mean snowy sabre cat which are significantly tougher enemies.
yeah, its in the northern snowy area and all snowy/frost/winter/ect enemies are tougher than their normal counterparts.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#3FreeMan5407Posted 2/7/2013 12:55:07 AM(edited)
alexponential posted...
as soon as I leave town to go to Saarthal there is a Sabre Cat. I'm only a level 11 mage so it kills me in two hits. If I manage to get around it there's ANOTHER Sabre Cat right around the corner on the way to Saarthal as well. AND sometimes there's even a goddamn dragon that appears in the middle of it all. Do they NOT want me to get to Saarthal until I'm a higher level or something?

what is your build, what difficulty , your strongest attack?
#4FreeMan5407Posted 2/7/2013 1:10:42 AM
if you are using only robes, i recommend to use alteration and wards , also use the atronach or lord stone, lord stone is better for your character

you also probably need dual cast or a stronger spell probably both
#5jammymacsterPosted 2/7/2013 1:12:41 AM
Hire a follower to distract the sabre cat, summon a creature to do the same or use illusion to calm or scare it away.
---
AKA: Valadez
#6Orpheus_DemigodPosted 2/7/2013 6:11:02 AM
alexponential posted...

I know they walk slowly and it's a bit of a drag but if you follow tolfdir and brelyna there up the path hidden behind the building in town, they will help you fight off the nasties on the way.

If you're taking the main road out of town then swinging right that is not the best way to get to saarthal btw. Use the path on the left in town as you're facing the college. (Tolfdir and brelyna will show you the way)
#7obishawnPosted 2/7/2013 6:48:15 AM
Calm spells are life savers.
---
Winter is coming
#8Hanzou74Posted 2/7/2013 7:46:05 AM
As mentioned above, the shortest way to Saarthal is the path between the jarl's house and Birna's Oddments. Just lure them back to Winterhold and let the guards do the work. Sometimes the Jarl will even jump in and punch a cat to death, if he happens to be walking outside (i seen it).
#9alexponential(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 1:22:38 PM
Orpheus_Demigod posted...
alexponential posted...

I know they walk slowly and it's a bit of a drag but if you follow tolfdir and brelyna there up the path hidden behind the building in town, they will help you fight off the nasties on the way.

If you're taking the main road out of town then swinging right that is not the best way to get to saarthal btw. Use the path on the left in town as you're facing the college. (Tolfdir and brelyna will show you the way)

Thanks, I didn't know that path was there!
#10nihtwingPosted 2/7/2013 2:00:19 PM
There is also a shout(forget the name of it at the moment) you can use. If you hit an animal with it, it will leave you alone for a few seconds, unless it is a dragon.