Why is it that whenever someone talks of dumbing the game down...

#21STomlogPosted 2/7/2013 11:01:11 PM
Because Morrowind had the best overall balance of complexity and simplicity. I agree that Skyrim improved over Oblivion, though.
---
Xbox (not 360).
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a great game. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is a greater game.
#22DeathEater30Posted 2/7/2013 11:34:23 PM
If morrowind was smart and skyrim is dumb then smart games suck
#23nathraxhPosted 2/8/2013 12:07:14 AM
Each game improves on some things, dumbs down others. A few examples: Skyrim's combat is an improvement on Oblivion's, which was an improvement on Morrowind's, but the removal of spell creation and the shockingly awful factions (which are progressively getting dumber) are both an example of dumbing down.

That's about as much as you can say that's true.
---
Dwarf shortage.
#24Brenz0rPosted 2/8/2013 12:11:06 AM
Bitaku posted...
Cast_Supremacy posted...
Swings and roundabouts. I'd argue that nostalgia goggles makes everyone forget that the interfaces in previous games were horrible and have been steadily improving with each iteration. Progress or dumbing down?

Do you play on PC or 360? Because I thought that Skyrim's interface for the PC was the worst of the lot.

That's because it is the worst of the lot. Skyrim was designed for the X360 and then ported to PC without much consideration given to the differences in playstyle (they did release HD texture packs, but even those aren't a patch on stuff like 2K). Which is probably one of the reasons that SkyUI exists to fix the Bethesda UI mistakes.
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN
#25Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 2/8/2013 12:18:47 AM
It isn't a downhill spiral since Skyrim was a pretty big step up from Oblivion
---
The bears can smell the menstruation
#26SoulOfFaythPosted 2/8/2013 5:18:12 AM
If you play anything else than Arena you're a poser and a casual and a dumb.
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#27DanOverboardPosted 2/8/2013 5:34:20 AM
Apex1619 posted...
I honestly don't care if its dumbed down so long as I enjoy playing it

When all the dust settles, this is the core truth.

If you like the game, you will buy it. If you don't like the game, you will not buy it. If you like attention, you will buy it but let everyone know its downfalls. Become a developer if you want to change the face of video games, or, hell, just play it on PC and bastardize it with mods.
#28lalallaalalPosted 2/8/2013 6:17:06 AM
If I don't like it, it's dumb.
#29PathlessBulletPosted 2/8/2013 6:18:01 AM
No, Morrowind is a better version of Daggerfall. The dumbing down didn't start till Oblivion.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#30Smackdowner1Posted 2/8/2013 6:42:22 AM(edited)
There's a difference between "dumbing" something down, and streamlining it.

Skyrim is Bethesda's best Elder Scrolls yet.

I could never get into Oblivion because of the horrible, over-complicated leveling system. It almost required you to have a notepad nearby so you could keep track of which skills you progressed, and did not over-level so you could get the possible bonus when you slept in a bed. Then there was the fact that due to the horrible enemy scaling, the game was actually easier if you never slept.

Everything about leveling in Oblivion was just... wrong.

I don't miss stuff like repair hammers either. That was never fun.
---
''Malice'' is a registered trademark of Smackdowner Inc.
All Rights Reserved 2002 - 2013