You would think the Orcs and the Dunmer would be bff's

#21nathraxhPosted 2/9/2013 1:50:14 AM
There's a lot of bad blood between the two. The Orcs were at Red Mountain along with the Dwemer and the Nords. The Dwemer are gone, the Nords gave the Dunmer a whole damned island when Morrowind went kaput, but the Orcs haven't really had much to do with the Dunmer since then. That said, hearing the opinions of various Dunmer in Morrowind regarding the Nords and the Orcs, they seem to think more highly of the Orcs. So I guess most of that's forgotten.

But there's no way they'd be able to work together. All the cultural differences would drive them mad.

And did someone say earlier that it was the Orcs and Trinimac trying to launch an exodus and the Dunmer and Boethiah who stopped them? Fairly certain it was the other way round.
---
Dwarf shortage.
#22AddictedToXboxPosted 2/9/2013 1:58:28 AM
Disagree absolutely. When it takes multiple disasters (any one of which has fair odds of wrecking another province all by its lonesome, and in the case of the Oblivion Crisis did wreck other provinces all by its lonesome) in succession to bring you down, you're one of the superpowers.

A superpower isn't defined by how far low it can sink. It's defined by its ability to project its power. Like I said already, the Dunmer are in no position to push the Redguards, Nords, or Argonians around, so why do you consider them more of a superpower than the Nords? I'm not saying they can't become a superpower again. What I'm saying is that they are not a superpower currently.

I don't know where you got that idea.

Um, when you decided to consider the Dunmer a superpower over the Nords just because they've recently suffered devestation.

Their invasion of Morrowind would argue for the positive, and their war with Mehrunes Dagon also involved an invasion of the Deadlands (i.e. leaving their swamps).

Morrowind just had its dick knocked in the dirt. I'd hardly call kicking a nation while its down an impressive feat. House Redoran managed to drive away the Argonians who attempted to encroach on their lands. As for the Oblivion Crisis, I can't argue that. But you are forgetting that unlike the rest of Tamriel, the Hist/Argonians knew they were about to be invaded and prepared for it. An advantage like that can make all the difference. How do we know the other nations wouldn't have been able to pull off similar feats if they had been equally aware and prepared? This is the only moment the Argonians have proven their power. The Nords have proven their strength and prowess throughout history.

Saarthal was only the first settlement of the Nords in Skyrim. Remember that it was before the great migration waves of Ysgramor that brought the majority of the Atmorans to Tamriel. The Nordic oral histories also imply in Aldudagga (Fight Two) that they only had about six hundred warriors compared to thousands of elves - not a very large settlement on a large scale, really. That said, Nords are also prone to exaggeration. And stupid.

You're right. The scale isn't anywhere close to being similar. That was stupid of me.

Also, quick question: why do you hate the Orcs of TES so much?
---
False God! This is the end... the final turn of your Wheel!
#23Brenz0rPosted 2/9/2013 2:34:58 AM
A superpower isn't defined by how far low it can sink. It's defined by its ability to project its power. Like I said already, the Dunmer are in no position to push the Redguards, Nords, or Argonians around, so why do you consider them more of a superpower than the Nords?

Because I'm going on race as a collective, not just their present situation (I had that in my original "superpower" post, but removed it before I posted it - in retrospect, I should have made that much clearer). The Dunmer have only ever been knocked off their perch by a succession of continually worsening disasters where each one could have dropped another province by itself, and they still lived through it in a state that, while not ideal, didn't put them at the very bottom of the pile.

How do we know the other nations wouldn't have been able to pull off similar feats if they had been equally aware and prepared?

The Empire, for one, did have forewarning. Uriel just didn't tell anybody about his prophetic dreams or make sure to get the Empire ready to face the onslaught.

Also, quick question: why do you hate the Orcs of TES so much?

I don't. I just like poking fun at them. I do it for all the races when the chance comes up. I did it for the Nords in my previous post. And everybody knows that Argonians are only useful for jackets, belts and boots.
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN
#24AddictedToXboxPosted 2/9/2013 2:55:16 AM
The Dunmer have only ever been knocked off their perch by a succession of continually worsening disasters where each one could have dropped another province by itself, and they still lived through it in a state that, while not ideal, didn't put them at the very bottom of the pile.

I don't agree with the bolded. Not in the case of the Oblivion Crisis and Argonian invasions, anyways. Each nation suffered at the hands of Dagon's forces, but I wouldn't say they've been crippled by them. I don't think the Argonian invasions would have been successful had the Dunmer not been in their situation thanks to Red Mountain.

The Empire, for one, did have forewarning. Uriel just didn't tell anybody about his prophetic dreams or make sure to get the Empire ready to face the onslaught.

The douche...

I don't. I just like poking fun at them. I do it for all the races when the chance comes up. I did it for the Nords in my previous post. And everybody knows that Argonians are only useful for jackets, belts and boots.

Yes, you do! Admit it! I don't believe I've ever seen you mention one thing you like about them.
---
False God! This is the end... the final turn of your Wheel!
#25Brenz0rPosted 2/9/2013 5:35:08 AM
Each nation suffered at the hands of Dagon's forces, but I wouldn't say they've been crippled by them.

I would argue that after it, they were all crippled to one degree or another (with the exception, again, of the Argonians). Just look at the situation in Cyrodiil: the Emperor is dead, the Empire's future is uncertain, the Amulet of Kings has been destroyed, multiple large cities have suffered extensive damage, and their ability to hold on to the provinces has been severely diminished.

Or Morrowind, where the armies of Daedra razed Ald'ruhn to the ground and consistently drove them back (I think they were attempting to regroup at Ghostgate when Martin did his thing). The Temple was falling apart (neither Vivec nor the Nerevarine were around to help), Indoril was collapsing, and so on and so forth.

Or Summerset, where the heart of their realm and greatest symbol of their power, Crystal-Like-Law, was torn down and destroyed (there's that series by an Altmer who lived through it that describes a... well, a not very nice time to live through).

We don't have exact records for everything that happened in all the provinces, off the top of my head, but what we do have indicate that the Oblivion Crisis was well and truly turning Tamriel upside down.

Yes, you do! Admit it! I don't believe I've ever seen you mention one thing you like about them.

Trinimac was kind of cool. Emphasis on was, naturally, but he was okay all the same.
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN
#26Evil_SandwichPosted 2/9/2013 5:38:55 AM
Dere 6e mAny WalLz in dis toPicZ.
#27FMLGPosted 2/9/2013 6:29:25 AM
This was probably one of the best discussions on the Skyrim Boards.

*claps*
---
Remember FMLG told ya!
Sometimes I miss drugs.Then I read gamefaqs. - Beery <3
#28Ajd_KingPosted 2/9/2013 6:48:33 AM
I think if there's anything we can learn from this topic, it's that the rest of Tamriel should make way for the expanding swamps of the Argonian master race.
---
"Stannis... in spite of everything, he is a righteous man."
- GRRM.