Why do my spells just tickle enemies, but theirs kill me in 3 hits? Magic sucks.

#1fatclemenzaPosted 2/10/2013 9:09:33 AM
Every time I want to do a magic playthrough, this fact just turns me off of the idea. What's the point of using magic when it just doesn't kill fast enough? You're basically helpless until you enchant gear for infinite MP since even early enemies can sponge loads. God help you if you come across an Adept Mage or higher, since they'll destroy you while soaking up anything you shoot at them.

There's no Sneak bonus for magic for some reason, despite having a skill that allows you to cast silently. I stealth magic playthrough sounds like a ton of fun, yet isn't possible.

The only viable offensive magic strategy you can even do later in the game is Impact + Dual Cast Fireball to cheese enemies to death, which is boring as hell and not fun in the least. Meanwhile an Archmage puts you down with 2 Thunderbolts...

All decent spells have a charge time before you fire, and the non-lightning ones travel in nearly slow motion. The top-tier spells are laughably dumb with their 5 second charge times that don't do nearly enough damage to be effective. When are those even practical to use?

Why did they make magic so horrible? In Oblivion you could create your own spells which made them at least fun to experiment with, but here there's literally one playstyle you can do.
---
He's a well respected man about town,
Doing the best things so conservatively
#2WebstedgePosted 2/10/2013 9:12:59 AM
play more conjuration
---
https://p.twimg.com/AirgRzVCEAAPBp6.jpg
#3myztikricePosted 2/10/2013 9:14:51 AM
yes flame atronach made it all possible on my pure mage master playthrough
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so ****in' hysterical.
#4KaeporoPosted 2/10/2013 9:22:09 AM(edited)
inb4 Bethesda cultists provide undeniable proof that the destruction talent is worth a damn.

It's cute that the same developers who produced this wonder of a game haven't been able to fix many of the glitches associated with a number of the skill perks. If they won't bother to push out a halfway decent patch concerning those issues, I wouldn't expect them to consider gameplay balance.

Yes. Balance exists in single player games. A well-balanced single player game where the player has a number of entertaining and viable options for character progression is ultimately more interesting than the alternative.

As an additional note, I've always loved how people claim that 100% casting consumption reduction somehow makes magic effective. It removes one of its flaws. Melee and range never had that issue.

Impact stagger-lock is the only viable magic tactic (to piggyback off the TC) but it gets boring fast. The issue with magic in Oblivion was that all of the spells essentially looked the same. The issue with magic in Skyrim is that the only useful spells essentially look the same.

---
Gamertag-Kaeporo
Official Zweihander of the Dark Souls board
#5WebstedgePosted 2/10/2013 9:17:22 AM
yeah once you get an atronach you basically sit by and watch it crush your low level enemies and get a powerful ally for support with high level ones

and once you can dual cast dremora lords or storm atronachs the game becomes permanent easy mode
---
#6fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 9:19:25 AM
Any atronach I use gets pummeled into submission within seconds of spawning unless I play on Easy.
---
He's a well respected man about town,
Doing the best things so conservatively
#7KaeporoPosted 2/10/2013 9:20:54 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8lalallaalalPosted 2/10/2013 9:22:16 AM
Did the other destruction whine topic hit 500 or something?
#9WebstedgePosted 2/10/2013 9:22:42 AM
fatclemenza posted...
Any atronach I use gets pummeled into submission within seconds of spawning unless I play on Easy.

this doesn't sound right... what kind of enemies are you fighting? I'm assuming they're low level if you just started, and a flame atronach should be able to handle low level enemies at range with ease, while a frost atronach will be able to hold its own for a good amount of time
---
#10Arkma3Posted 2/10/2013 9:24:45 AM
lalallaalal posted...
Did the other destruction whine topic hit 500 or something?

I like this. A lot.
---
...Always look on the bright side of life, doo doo...