Why are Forts always occupied by Bandits?

#1Omni024Posted 2/10/2013 9:59:45 AM
Yes ok, there are certain instances where they are not. Yet some other evil thing lives there. My point is this... there has been a civil war raging across Skyrim for a couple of years now. Why aren't any of these forts strategically held by one side or the other? It makes sense that they would be! Valthiem Towers for instance...here's a fort built dead smack right next to a narrow pathway leading into the Windhelm's primary territory. So why is this fort occupied by rogues and bandits? If anything the Stormcloaks would have put the manpower into clearing the place out of any hostiles and pretty much shut down a major roadway. I get that the civil war Quests have you attacking forts, but it still makes little to no sense.
#2WebstedgePosted 2/10/2013 10:00:45 AM
The civil war doesn't actually start until you decide to start it. That's how most things in Skyrim go
---
https://p.twimg.com/AirgRzVCEAAPBp6.jpg
#3Joe_CobbsPosted 2/10/2013 10:01:12 AM
They wanted you to be able to fight people in them instead of them being occupied by civil war place holders.
#4Evil_SandwichPosted 2/10/2013 10:05:19 AM
It's not just bandits.

I came across a fort that had tons of forsworn in it.

Some are guarded by mages too.
#5EvanW1109Posted 2/10/2013 10:18:13 AM
Joe_Cobbs posted...
They wanted you to be able to fight people in them instead of them being occupied by civil war place holders.

This. If they were all storm cloaks or legion held, you wouldn't be able to fight and clear them until you started the Civil War quests, and then only the ones of your opposing faction. If you notice on the war maps, some forts are held and there are camps located throughout Skyrim for both factions.

Also, I believe the story from Oblivion was that most of the forts were used during previous wars and were abandoned since due to lack of need for them, therefore bandits or marauders moved into them. In Skyrim, bandits and forsworn move into them. That's why a lot of the forts are in disrepair or have additional defenses that are not part of the stonework.
#6Omni024(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 10:19:06 AM
Webstedge posted...
The civil war doesn't actually start until you decide to start it. That's how most things in Skyrim go

The war has been going on for quite a while. You just decide to side with someone and help end it.

Oh yeah I know that some are occupied by other people. My point is that this war has been going on long enough for these armies to have fortified their territory. Major strategic holdings like Valthiem and the Fort close to Riften. Usually forts next to major roadways. I just find it strange.
#7thermopylaePosted 2/10/2013 10:22:24 AM
Omni024 posted...
Webstedge posted...

The war has been going on for quite a while. You just decide to side with someone and help end it.

Oh yeah I know that some are occupied by other people. My point is that this war has been going on long enough for these armies to have fortified their territory. Major strategic holdings like Valthiem and the Fort close to Riften. Usually forts next to major roadways. I just find it strange.

from a real standpoint you are correct. in morrowind it would be this way.
---
The price of Victory is high, but so are the rewards.
#8obishawnPosted 2/10/2013 10:32:30 AM
Some forts were just abandoned, it makes an excellent place for a small group of bandits to station there, gives them a place to reinforce their lifestyle.

As for neither side of the civil war taking over certain bases, maybe they don't have the man power or resources. A lot of the civil war quests don't happen until the player comes along to assist.

But still, there are a couple of forts that Imperials/Stormcloaks occupy after you clear them out even if you haven't started the civil war quest line; Fort Amol, once you clear it of mages, the Stormcloaks take it over and Fort... I forget the name, but it is immediately west of the Western Watchtower in Whiterun, Imperials take it over.
---
Winter is coming
#9VodkaMusclesV2Posted 2/10/2013 10:36:51 AM
Because bandits are more strategically inclined than the Stormcloaks and Imperials.
#10WebstedgePosted 2/10/2013 10:38:43 AM(edited)
Omni024 posted...
Webstedge posted...

this is what is supposed to happen sure, but I'm just sayin if you went around adventuring for a few months absolutely nothing would progress in the war due to the dragonborn being the only one who matters and gets stuff done in the world
---
https://p.twimg.com/AirgRzVCEAAPBp6.jpg