Why are Forts always occupied by Bandits?

#11EvanW1109Posted 2/10/2013 10:41:34 AM
obishawn posted...
Some forts were just abandoned, it makes an excellent place for a small group of bandits to station there, gives them a place to reinforce their lifestyle.

As for neither side of the civil war taking over certain bases, maybe they don't have the man power or resources. A lot of the civil war quests don't happen until the player comes along to assist.

But still, there are a couple of forts that Imperials/Stormcloaks occupy after you clear them out even if you haven't started the civil war quest line; Fort Amol, once you clear it of mages, the Stormcloaks take it over and Fort... I forget the name, but it is immediately west of the Western Watchtower in Whiterun, Imperials take it over.

There is another one filled with Forsworn that I cleared and then had to clear again of Imperials when I did the Civil War quests. I found it funny that I went through the same one but also a great job by the developers. Fort cleared by an adventurer, now abandoned, free Fort for the first Faction to get there lol.
#12RampagingwalrusPosted 2/10/2013 11:09:10 AM
The forts start populated by random peons.
Unless you have a civil war quest to clear it, at which point it becomes populated by soldiers.

Alternatively, if you clear the peons out of it first, the next time the area loads it will be populated by the Hold's soldiers.

Why it is like this... well, because Bethesda half-assed (read: abandoned the majority of) the Civil War questline.
The 11.11.11 release date is why the game is so "empty" everything they wanted to add, they did not have time for.
So we get a whole lot of nothing.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
#13Hanzou74Posted 2/10/2013 11:16:57 AM
Fort Neugrad: Before the civil war quests of course, if you clear the bandits you will find a "Bandit's Journal". It explains how the bandits took the fort from the imperial troops garrisoned there, who were cut off after the Helgen incident.

Fort Dunstad: Nothing is explicitly mentioned, but you find the body of a named NPC in the Staggering Sabercat (the bar inside the fort). Sort of implies there were residents of some kind that met a bad ending with bandits involved.

Bandits are plentiful and they need a place to live, too.
#14VrrestoPosted 2/10/2013 12:20:35 PM
Because Skyrim is just a dungeon crawler.
#15RebelElite791Posted 2/10/2013 1:11:04 PM
Rampagingwalrus posted...
The forts start populated by random peons.
Unless you have a civil war quest to clear it, at which point it becomes populated by soldiers.

Alternatively, if you clear the peons out of it first, the next time the area loads it will be populated by the Hold's soldiers.

Why it is like this... well, because Bethesda half-assed (read: abandoned the majority of) the Civil War questline.
The 11.11.11 release date is why the game is so "empty" everything they wanted to add, they did not have time for.
So we get a whole lot of nothing.

I dont see how that's "half-assing it"

EvanW1109 posted...

This. If they were all storm cloaks or legion held, you wouldn't be able to fight and clear them until you started the Civil War quests, and then only the ones of your opposing faction. If you notice on the war maps, some forts are held and there are camps located throughout Skyrim for both factions.

What he said.

It makes perfect sense as is, and rushed or not, the game is not "so empty omg deep as a puddle"
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
#16RampagingwalrusPosted 2/10/2013 1:46:46 PM
RebelElite791 posted...

What would you call cutting everything but the bare minimum then?
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
#17RebelElite791Posted 2/10/2013 3:36:44 PM
Rampagingwalrus posted...
RebelElite791 posted...

What would you call cutting everything but the bare minimum then?

Mind providing some sources about what they "cut"? And I dont mean "stuff they could have added in but didn't" I mean stuff they actually cut. Substantial stuff.

And having enemies in forts should make the game LESS empty, since you can actually wantonly kill them without repercussions like if every fort had CW soldiers.
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.