I played this game a lot, so will I like oblivion?

#1pcmike2Posted 2/10/2013 1:36:14 PM
I have 2 characters in skyrim with over 200 hours for each, one's a brenton warrior, the other is a highelf battlemage.

Would I enjoy oblivion? What are some major differences in terms of magic/combat?

Also, is it better to be a mage in oblivion than a warrior or doesn't matter?

Is the leveling system annoying/game breaking?
---
SSBB FC:0946-1920-8546
#2SavagegattsPosted 2/10/2013 1:46:16 PM
the leveling system is a little more complex unlike skyrim and the faces are a little ugly but the storys good. the (land) of cyrodil is a little repetative but it works and also you can make a class of your own or chose one. the graphics are ok a little blocky compared to now a days but its good. I would recomend it if you want to try it
#3thermopylaePosted 2/10/2013 1:50:14 PM
it is different. no crafting but you repair armor/weapons. magic is powerful and theres spell making. everything is leveled. you wont see daedric weapons/armor till about level 20 same with enemies. combat is more clunky but you can run faster even backwards. even so once you get used to it its fun just different.
---
The price of Victory is high, but so are the rewards.
#4OddratPosted 2/10/2013 2:08:32 PM
The skill system is a little ass backwards. You actually don't want to use your favorite skills lest you want gimped stats. You'll have to make a chart and keep track of your skills if you want the best possible character. The graphics have not aged well either, and are quite the eyesore when you compare them to the likes of Skyrim. Despite its flaws its still enjoyable though, and the guild quests/quests in general are considered by many to be better than Skyrim's. I would give it a try.
#5ggrissomPosted 2/10/2013 3:23:10 PM
I disliked Oblivion when it came out. I figured I enjoyed Skyrim so much that I could go back to Oblivion and enjoy it now. I was wrong, it still sucks. Level scaling is terrible. You get stronger and the game punishes you for it. I mean, it TOTALLY makes sense for those bandits to have full deadric armor, right?
---
PSN= MKEBrewCrew
#6SchesparnPosted 2/10/2013 3:32:41 PM
Do you intend on modding it, if you get it? That can solve a lot of grievances people have with the game.
---
Look, for the last time: Kirby has explained it over and over!
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk138/Schesparn/11911255317531.gif
#7zeroboboPosted 2/10/2013 3:43:26 PM
the leveling system is honestly one of the worst ive ever seen and ive been playing RPGs for a very long time.

the dungeons aren't as well designed as skyrims. very barebones.

it'd be rough going back to it after skyrim, as they improved so much mechanically.

but its still a TES game at heart, huge world to explore, neat quests sprinkled in a sea of lame ones. the guild quests were alright, nothing great though (the dark brotherhood is grossly overrated).

its not aged well, i'll say that, neither has morrowind. they're both worth checking out though. you can probably get them for super cheap.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#8justaguyx2Posted 2/10/2013 6:01:12 PM
zerobobo posted...

but its still a TES game at heart, huge world to explore, neat quests sprinkled in a sea of lame ones. the guild quests were alright, nothing great though (the dark brotherhood is grossly overrated).

The Dark brotherhood had one of my favorite missions ever. I think it was called "Who did it". That being said, breaking out then back into that jail was a d**n grinding chore.
#9Justin2KrelianPosted 2/10/2013 9:26:56 PM
ggrissom posted...
I disliked Oblivion when it came out. I figured I enjoyed Skyrim so much that I could go back to Oblivion and enjoy it now. I was wrong, it still sucks. Level scaling is terrible. You get stronger and the game punishes you for it. I mean, it TOTALLY makes sense for those bandits to have full deadric armor, right?

You realize Skyrim basically does the same thing, besides perhaps the armor.
#10RebelElite791Posted 2/10/2013 9:35:33 PM
Justin2Krelian posted...
ggrissom posted...

You realize Skyrim basically does the same thing, besides perhaps the armor.

Not really. There are still plenty of weak enemies in Skyrim no matter what level you are, and you don't *only* run into X Y and Z enemy types in a certain level range (which is why people who say Oblivion has more enemy types be trippin)
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.