Joining or Destroying the Dark Brotherhood?

#21VeezaraPosted 2/11/2013 3:13:23 PM
You don't need to get involved with them, would save destroying them. If you don't kill Grelod then they won't take you to the abandoned shack.
The plate that the Aretino boy gives you is useless and worth less than you can loot off a single bandit. Unless you want to adopt one of the kids from the orphanage there is no real point in killing Grelod if you don't want to join the DB.
#22MikeH7186(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 4:39:42 PM(edited)
Well the only reason I did the Grelod mission was because of the Stone of Barenziah. I downloaded the mod to show their locations (Yes I'm on PC, I forgot which board this is), and at 22/24 the only two left are in the Dark Brotherhood and in the first quest for the College of Winterhold. I would have preferred not joining the College or killing the DB, but with 22/24 collected there's little reason not to finish it.

From what I've heard Shadowmere though a strong horse, is more annoying than anything else. Follows you when you fast travel, runs headstrong into bandit camps while you're trying to stealth, things of that nature.

The house you get, or whatever it is has no interest to me as I have Lakeview Manor.

Meeting the emperor sounds interesting, but as I joined with the Imperials it seems pointless for me to kill him, at least from an RP perspective.

I think I will destroy them on my main save, while making a save just before I decide. Then if I want the achievements bad enough I'll just reload, make an alternate timeline and finish them. I honestly think if the armor set looked better it might be a harder choice. I'm sure someone finds it appealing it's just not for me.
#23Gaming_EsquirePosted 2/11/2013 5:18:30 PM
Two things I find very amusing:

1) those who insist the DB - hired murderers - are "not evil bc a 'demon' decides who dies, not they themselves" and/or "the members themselves are not evil... They are just tools... The real evil ones are those who performed the sacrament"

And

2) those who insist they didn't comit murder on Geold because "there was some item or achievement I wanted so I killed her, and even though it says 'Murders: 1" it wasn't really murder in my mind," and/or "she was evil so she deserved it and I don't consider it murder."

Did she deserve to die? Who's to say. But killing someone for abusing children is murder. Plan as that. You can jump through whatever leaps of logic and double think you want, your stats will always say "Murders: 1".

I REALLY wish there was a way to initiate Destroy the DB and adopt from the orphanage without committing murder.
---
From Dragon Warrior to Skyrim, by way of Final Fantasy and Mass Effect
#24MikeH7186(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 5:31:07 PM
Gaming_Esquire posted...
You can jump through whatever leaps of logic and double think you want, your stats will always say "Murders: 1".

Actually mine says Murders: 0. In fact, to take it one step further if you kill any of the three, or even all three of the people Astrid tells you to initially, none of them count either. It made me question whether it counts as a murder only if you choose to kill them.

For instance, say I join DB and they tell me go kill some random Nord. I kill him because it's part of a mission, and murders remain at 0. However I kill random guy who's not part of the mission, and it increases to 1.

I could be completely wrong as I don't often find myself killing non hostile NPCs, but I can confirm having killed Grelod that I am still at 0 murders.

Quest: http://i.imgur.com/F4skAm7.jpg
Crimes: http://i.imgur.com/t4oBTbD.jpg
#25JohnRyan1228Posted 2/11/2013 5:36:20 PM
Crimson Phantom posted...
Rampagingwalrus posted...
Kill them all.
They are all horrible, badly written "characters" and should be removed from the game by any and all means available to players.

Technically the innocents that they kill are carefully selected by a god being as a necessary evil that NEEDS to be destroyed for the betterment of the world... they don't take every single prayer that comes their way. The nightmother chooses who NEEDS to die...

They are technically not an evil organization

maybe in oblivion, but that is not the case for the skyrim db. in skyrim they hear about a contract and they take it. the black sacrament is just for show. until the night mother shows up
---
If I ever cared about what you had to say, I'd stick a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes.
#26Gaming_EsquirePosted 2/11/2013 5:39:18 PM
You appear to be correct sir. At least UESP says you are. I wonder who that one murder was in MY game stats then ? ;)

That being said, and yes I know it's not real life, but regardless of what the stats show - for her or any other contract - IRL each and every one is cold blooded, first degree premeditated murder.
---
#27MikeH7186(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 5:45:04 PM
Gaming_Esquire posted...
You appear to be correct sir. At least UESP says you are. I wonder who that one murder was in MY game stats then ? ;)

That being said, and yes I know it's not real life, but regardless of what the stats show - for her or any other contract - IRL each and every one is cold blooded, first degree premeditated murder.

Oh I agree, it might not show as one but she's dead by my hand. I can justify it though I suppose. Having just come from the oh so friendly city of Windhelm, and hearing how they treat the minorities, only to walk into an orphanage and hear the harsh words coming from her mouth. I'll just say I liberated some children from an oppressive guardian.

Sounds much nicer than I slit some old lady's throat in front of a group of kids.
#28Gaming_EsquirePosted 2/11/2013 6:32:49 PM
The legal recourse would be to gather evidence and report it to the jarl and get some type of injunction or TRO.

(FYI I usually justify killing her as well)
---
#29ben_foxPosted 2/11/2013 7:06:43 PM
Considering that just getting through the main quest requires you to be a mass-murdering, international incident-causing, corpse-desecrating grave robber, to say nothing of the soul-eating abomination you are simply by virtue of existence, an ostensibly "good" character can probably be let off the hook for rationalizing why (s)he put an end to Grelod. Killing a child abuser is probably going to come in, at the highest, fifth on the list of the horrible things the Dovahkiin does.