Questions for those of you who have successfully done a pure mage playthrough

#21NicodaemosPosted 2/11/2013 3:37:38 PM(edited)
1) Did you use Bound weapons at all? I could see them coming in handy for fights that are up-close and personal.

2) What was your primary spell for offense? I hope to not have to rely on Impact + Fireball spam to beat everyone. That's cheesy.

3) Did you wear armor? Or rely on the Alteration armor spells?

4) Did you go heavy in Enchanting?

5) In what order should I invest points to the magic trees?

1) Yes, the bow.

2) Bound Bow.

3) Alteration spells. Of course, never getting hit is the most optimal.

4) Yes, mostly for Archery damage. For the rest, I kept magicka-cost reduction to a minimum, mostly stacked regen.

5) I would take note of what's giving your character the most problems at the time (Damage? Survivability? Going oom?), and try to build your character accordingly.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#22JohnRyan1228Posted 2/11/2013 3:38:26 PM
You don't have to use impact. I personally enjoyed paralyzing enemies followed by hurling destruction spells at it. if my magic got low I would switch to a bound sword
---
If I ever cared about what you had to say, I'd stick a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes.
#23GBALoserPosted 2/11/2013 3:43:19 PM
fatclemenza posted...
1) Did you use Bound weapons at all? I could see them coming in handy for fights that are up-close and personal.

Early game, yes. After like level 10, no

2) What was your primary spell for offense? I hope to not have to rely on Impact + Fireball spam to beat everyone. That's cheesy.

If you have DB, get Ignite ASAP. Stacking DoT FTW.

Only Dragon Masks for their effects, otherwise no to either

On my first mage, yes. On my current one I'm still debating, but I'm not really seeing a need to do so as of yet

Necromage (if you want to play with a Vampire Mage), Augment flame 2/2 (destro), AoT (illusion), Magic Resist and Atronach (Alteration, probably won't be leveling it much until you get Detect Life), Necromage (if you want to play with a Vampire Mage)

Thank you.

---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#24JohnRyan1228Posted 2/11/2013 3:52:25 PM
GBALoser posted...
fatclemenza posted...

Early game, yes. After like level 10, no

If you have DB, get Ignite ASAP. Stacking DoT FTW.

Only Dragon Masks for their effects, otherwise no to either

On my first mage, yes. On my current one I'm still debating, but I'm not really seeing a need to do so as of yet

Necromage (if you want to play with a Vampire Mage), Augment flame 2/2 (destro), AoT (illusion), Magic Resist and Atronach (Alteration, probably won't be leveling it much until you get Detect Life), Necromage (if you want to play with a Vampire Mage)

Thank you.

For alteration there are other options too. For example you can just cast alteration spells while a mudcrab chases you around, or cast waterbreathing while standing in water
---
If I ever cared about what you had to say, I'd stick a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes.
#25fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 6:19:50 PM
Hey all, little update here.

I'm currently level 20, just finished the College of Winterhold. Been playing on Adept. Nothing too incredibly hard so far, but there was this one Drauger Deathlord I fought at level 17 who OHK'd me with his Ebony Bow. That took some tactics to beat. My magic skills are all around 50 right now.

I've had J'zargo as my follower, and frankly, I'm not very impressed. All he does is use Sparks, and doesn't like to use the Storm Atronach Staff I gave him. Who else could I use as a good follower?
---
He's a well respected man about town,
Doing the best things so conservatively
#26NicodaemosPosted 2/14/2013 6:26:42 PM
I've had J'zargo as my follower, and frankly, I'm not very impressed. All he does is use Sparks, and doesn't like to use the Storm Atronach Staff I gave him. Who else could I use as a good follower?

J'zargo is a waste of space. What you need is a disposable meat-shield. So, Uthgerd, Sven (assuming he can stay alive long enough), any housecarl etc.

I'd just keep the atronach staff on the MC, unless you have more than one.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#27KabtheMentatPosted 2/14/2013 6:36:55 PM
Hey, what are you doing here? Get back on the Black Ops 2 board!
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
I don't have a cocaine habit, I just like the way it smells.
#28fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 6:40:23 PM
J'zargo is a waste of space. What you need is a disposable meat-shield. So, Uthgerd, Sven (assuming he can stay alive long enough), any housecarl etc.

I'd just keep the atronach staff on the MC, unless you have more than one.

I'm looking for a follower who can do mage stuff and won't get in the way. Aranea looks like a well-rounded mage.

Hey, what are you doing here? Get back on the Black Ops 2 board!

lol stalker >_>
---
He's a well respected man about town,
Doing the best things so conservatively
#29KabtheMentatPosted 2/14/2013 6:50:42 PM
lol. seems like it, but I'm actually playing Skyrim right this second. Bought Dragonborn, so I got all of the DLC as of now and figure about time I should play the damn game.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
I don't have a cocaine habit, I just like the way it smells.
#30Mick65Posted 2/14/2013 7:01:01 PM
I'm looking for a follower who can do mage stuff and won't get in the way.

http://uesp.net/wiki/Dragonborn:Talvas_Fathryon

If you don't have the DLC, or want a battlemage type, Belrand from Solitude is good.
---
JAFO