Dragonborn level help

#1amenbrotherPosted 2/14/2013 7:25:10 AM
So I made some new characters to play Dragonborn and realized its a harder area than I thought. What level do you all think is really needed to be able to survive there? I am thinking about level 20 should be ok but wanted some other opinions. I usually play on adept or expert by the way, also I see there is some certain level required quests?
#2NepharenPosted 2/14/2013 7:47:31 AM
Many recommend around 30...

I've played through it twice, one time with a character in the teens and they were beaten down pretty severely until mid 20's but that could just be how long it took for me to adjust my playstyle. You can probably handle it at lower levels if adequately prepared with a solid tactic and numbers. Just remember that there are times when you must solo rendering you followers useless.
#3raptalienPosted 2/14/2013 8:10:04 AM
I was 20 when I started. I almost died so many times and had to run away.

Found it easier with a companion at level 25+
---
It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be.
#4amenbrother(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 8:10:19 AM
Nepharen posted...
Many recommend around 30...

I've played through it twice, one time with a character in the teens and they were beaten down pretty severely until mid 20's but that could just be how long it took for me to adjust my playstyle. You can probably handle it at lower levels if adequately prepared with a solid tactic and numbers. Just remember that there are times when you must solo rendering you followers useless.

Thanks for the reply, do you think it helps if I have a solid build though? Like if I mainly level good combat tree's I could go there a little lower level?
#5amenbrother(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 8:11:22 AM
raptalien posted...
I was 20 when I started. I almost died so many times and had to run away.

Found it easier with a companion at level 25+

Dang what kind of play style where you using? Like a warrior, mage, or thief?
#6MrGazzoPosted 2/14/2013 8:26:37 AM
It's surprisingly easy with a level 39 character with 100 One-Handed. But I also have a few points on Blocking though, but mostly I don't block with my shield. And this was on expert.
---
Haytham Kenway = Roger Moore
#7NepharenPosted 2/14/2013 8:31:34 AM
I used a sword and board warrior. Solsteim itself isn't bad with a companion that tanks while you do damage.

The main quest has times where you solo and the enemies both hit hard and regenerate their health quickly as you fight them. To be fair, I played on master without any custom made or modified gear so you may have an easier time finding the correct balance of defense and attack power easier than I did.

Some tactics I used during these solo sessions: sneaking and summoning frost atronachs with staves (went against the warrior build but worked nonetheless) and werewolf form for the raw attack power.
#8amenbrother(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 8:35:44 AM
Nepharen posted...
I used a sword and board warrior. Solsteim itself isn't bad with a companion that tanks while you do damage.

The main quest has times where you solo and the enemies both hit hard and regenerate their health quickly as you fight them. To be fair, I played on master without any custom made or modified gear so you may have an easier time finding the correct balance of defense and attack power easier than I did.

Some tactics I used during these solo sessions: sneaking and summoning frost atronachs with staves (went against the warrior build but worked nonetheless) and werewolf form for the raw attack power.

I see how it would be easier with a sword and board but I have a dual wield guy and a 2 handed guy I want to take there. Looks like I wont be going any time soon though... also I want the Deathbrand armor on 1 of them but I hear you cant even start the quest until level 29!
#9NepharenPosted 2/14/2013 8:59:56 AM
Deathbrand equipment would suit your dual-wielder well and would probably help you out quite a bit. I do remember there being a minimum level to start the quest but I can't remember what it is, 29 or 30 sounds about right...

For you two hander may I recommend a fully charged ebony blade. It doesn't have phenomenal attack power but it makes you an incredible tank and you won't have to worry about your health as much. An extra 30 health guaranteed per swing can go a long way.
#10amenbrother(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 9:31:39 AM
Nepharen posted...
Deathbrand equipment would suit your dual-wielder well and would probably help you out quite a bit. I do remember there being a minimum level to start the quest but I can't remember what it is, 29 or 30 sounds about right...

For you two hander may I recommend a fully charged ebony blade. It doesn't have phenomenal attack power but it makes you an incredible tank and you won't have to worry about your health as much. An extra 30 health guaranteed per swing can go a long way.

Exactly what I was thinking about the Deathbrand just sucks I have to wait so long to get it! Do you mean a fully charged absorb health ebony blade or what do you mean?