Why is it cool to hate Skyrim?

#1KroganBallEaterPosted 2/15/2013 7:57:36 AM
Every time I ever say that Skyrim is one of my favorite games of all time people think I'm trolling.

My guess is that they're either Nintendo or Sony fanboys.
---
OMG Krogan!!!! That would hurt my precious little fanny!!!! LOL!!!!! - GamerGirlz after I told her to shove a stick of rhubarb up her fanny.
#2masterpug53Posted 2/15/2013 8:05:07 AM
Because it has more than a handful of flaws, which makes it automatically suck. The amount of things the game does right doesn't even enter into the equation - all a detractor needs to do is point out any one of these myriad of flaws, followed by a huehuehue or whatever the current popular internet toss-off happens to be - or simply point out said flaw with the proper inflection to indicate that it is the stupidest and most glaring error ever to stain the history of gaming - and they've unquestionably won the argument.

Or to amend a Community quote, people aren't necessarily anti-Skyrim so much as they're pro-anti.
---
Simple questions deserve long-winded answers that no one will bother to read.
#3nytecrawlaPosted 2/15/2013 8:17:07 AM
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Every person who blindly states that Skyrim is the greatest game ever, regardless of its flaws, creates a person who must call it the worst thing ever, regardless of its merits. For the most part the people who frequent this board enjoy this game. There is just the vocal minority that screams about the tiny flaws all the time. Granted, there have been some topics that legitimately discuss ways to improve the game, but they are few and far between. They also more often than not invite the 'Skyrim is perfect' troll to come in and ruin whatever intelligent discussion was being held.

People will always complain, and rightly so given that they paid money for the product and have a right to point out its flaws and praise its merits. There will always be outliers who take it too far in either direction. The trick is figuring out who they are, tagging or ignoring them and moving on. This board is only as enjoyable as you make it. Contribute quality topics and posts, ignore or report the obvious trolls and don't attempt to force your view or ideas onto anyone else. Each of us has an opinion, and they are all equally valuable, even if you don't necessarily agree with them. If there are people who refuse to acknowledge others in a respectful manner, you don't have to tolerate or stand for it. Lawlessness on the net is a larger symptom that is more fit for a separate topic however...

tl;dr: Because people don't like to have their opinions invalidated.
---
Well don't that just beat all?
#4HabefietPosted 2/15/2013 8:21:10 AM
nytecrawla posted...
There is just the vocal minority that screams about the tiny flaws all the time.

Okay let's be fair here some of the flaws are pretty substantial.

Otherwise I agree with your post for the most part.
#5nytecrawlaPosted 2/15/2013 8:24:39 AM
There are some major flaws, yes. The people that scream about this game being the worst ever always seem to be incoherently pointing at the small things though. Like how a feature that wasn't that good to begin with in a game from a decade ago needs to come back. But for every one of those you get someone who screams about the graphical detail of the stones on the rings and how they can identify them based on cuts and clarity or some nonsense. Idiocy is an equal opportunity employer.
---
Well don't that just beat all?
#6koutsu88Posted 2/15/2013 8:34:50 AM
there more sheeple then people thats why

too many try to fit in by agreeing with the first opinion of something thy hear
tus becoming sheeple

a prime example would be the hate spewing morons on the Aliens: cm board

/rant
---
"there is no use lecturing pigs" kazuya shibuya. (ghost hunt)[GT:koutsu 88] [save timsplitter4] [Dragonlord of TBWNN]
#7PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 2/15/2013 9:09:46 AM
IDK about how trolls think or why it would be cool to hate on a game. But I can speculate on why a normal person might "hate" the game.

The game was obviously rushed, and for people who, you know, expect PROGRESS in a sequel, rather than one step forward/two steps back, it may have seemed a bit lacking.

Tack onto that glitches in the hundreds, amyriad of other valid complaints, and the stigma with PS3..... and you've not only got an angry fanbase but a legion of trolls with hard facts to hit you with.

The truth is there are way too many reasons to even list as to why someone may hate OR love the game.

It seems to me that a lot of the current die hard fans, the ones who get upset that people could hate "their" game and try to defend it, are either new to Bethesda open world rpgs, or are just looooong time fans of TES. It is definitely understandable why someone new to this type of game would be slack jawed in disbelief that anyone could possibly dislike this "masterpiece" of a game. But look at it this way - Everyone else has played this game three times already (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas - all practically the same gameplay) and find this to be nothing special or different in the least. Add on to that years and years of playing rpgs and/or reading fantasy and this game just looks less and less like a masterpiece, and more like more of the same (or worse, a dumbed down simplified version of more of the same). That's how I see it anyway.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.
#8carwreck1Posted 2/15/2013 9:32:45 AM
Cool on this forum maybe. None of my friends who played the game hated it. Having played every Tes, and most of the fallouts I will say that I am sadly immune to the euphoria that comes with experiencing this type of game for the first time. Skyrim is my least played of the past three Tes, but I still found it to be enjoyable despite any failings it has.

I'm afraid ill probably never again capture the thrill and excitement I had while playing Morrowind many years ago.
#9KabtheMentatPosted 2/15/2013 9:34:45 AM
Welcome to what it's like being a CoD fan.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
I don't have a cocaine habit, I just like the way it smells.
#10iedahGPosted 2/15/2013 10:24:30 AM
People dont hate skyrim, they just hate the people who play and praise skyrim as the best RPG that came into existence.
Its no different then the call of duty scene. Even the most doucheist elitist can admit that call of duty is a decent game but it annoys them to hear people spout nonsense about how revolutionary the gameplay is just because it has a lot of flash and fluff for people with short attention spans. You are reminding them about how much was taken away from them when RPGs were "Streamlined" to gain mass appeal.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=) --" Make things easy for people, not difficult."