Why is it cool to hate Skyrim?

#11waterdeepchuPosted 2/15/2013 10:35:39 AM
Haters gotta hate. Im a vicious critic of Skyrim, for a good reason: I like a lot of it, but I'm very concerned with several issues. I make this displeasure known, in extreme detail. But I in no way hate the game, and that'll be obvious from listening to me even during my ranting.

...Okay except that one time where I posted a link claiming it was a trailer for the next ES game, when it actually linked to a playthrough of the game Athena on the NES. But that was funny.

Still. Its like the anti-pokemon idiots. They're idiots, don't worry about them. They don't have legitimate complaints, and nor do the skyrim haters.
#12magablaster17Posted 2/15/2013 10:43:31 AM
The same reason people hate twilight even tho most of us (myself included) know next to nothing about them. We hate the annoying fangirls/boys that praise it as the best thing sence jesus.
#13Akito_KinomotoPosted 2/15/2013 11:05:33 AM
KroganBallEater posted...
Every time I ever say that Skyrim is one of my favorite games of all time people think I'm trolling.

My guess is that they're either Nintendo or Sony fanboys.

---
I won't forget our promise we made. I close my eyes to make sure.
I will move forward, shaking off the surging darkness.
#14SwtorN00bPosted 2/15/2013 11:13:50 AM
Skyrim a decent rpg with some fun mechanics? Yeah.

But saying that it is the best rpg in existence automatically makes me want to throat punch you.
#15SwtorN00bPosted 2/15/2013 11:15:14 AM
waterdeepchu posted...
Haters gotta hate. Im a vicious critic of Skyrim, for a good reason: I like a lot of it, but I'm very concerned with several issues. I make this displeasure known, in extreme detail. But I in no way hate the game, and that'll be obvious from listening to me even during my ranting.

...Okay except that one time where I posted a link claiming it was a trailer for the next ES game, when it actually linked to a playthrough of the game Athena on the NES. But that was funny.

Still. Its like the anti-pokemon idiots. They're idiots, don't worry about them. They don't have legitimate complaints, and nor do the skyrim haters.

I don't hate the game, But it is a step back from it's predecessors.
#16themagicpainmanPosted 2/15/2013 11:17:09 AM
Beats me, sometimes I think there is a group of people out there who get some sort of sexual pleasure from hating any TES game that isn't Morrowind.

Now granted, the fanboys of THIS game are almost as annoying. This game has flaws and could certainly be improved in a lot of areas. The streamlining did cause some things to be "Dumbed down", and not all of it was for the best. The guild questlines are fairly poor compared to previous games. A lot of quests are just fetch quests or "Go here, kill x". There should have been more undead enemy variety besides armies of draugr everywhere. You don't really feel like you're affecting the world as much as you'd like to, NPCs don't really react to the stuff you've done. Stuff like that. And of course, the many bugs.

At the same time though, there's tons of good **** to be found as well. Despite what I just said about a lot of quests being bland, there are plenty of good ones to be found (Especially Daedric quests. And DB and TG, while not as strong as Oblivion if you ask me, are still fun). A lot of the dungeons, while at times getting a bit repetitive, have their own little stories behind them. Just exploring the world itself is great; some of the environments are pretty breathtaking. Plus, there's always new stuff you never found before. I remember after playing for so long, I was blown away by suddenly finding a lush underground forest cave in the northern shore area. And countless other cool things. Hell, some of the bugs even do cause hilarious and wacky scenarios that aren't detrimental to the game.

Then the DLCs add all sorts of fun stuff, breathing new life into the game. Dragonborn adds some cool new puzzles to its dungeons, for example. I've had about 400 hours on this game, and there will be a lot more to come. To me, the good outweighs the bad. However, I do hope Bethesda doesn't let the success of the game go to their heads and ignore the MANY legitimate criticisms about the game for their next title.

tl;dr: Game is flawed, but also has a lot of good. A lot of people seem to just want to hate this game no matter what, others have plenty of legitimate reasons and complaints. I still ****ing love this game, but I hope Beth doesn't ignore the criticisms.
---
"Combine Cloak and Dagger with Boots of Swiftness so CC doesn't stop you from moving faster toward defeat." - Frost_shock_FTW
#17SoulOfFaythPosted 2/15/2013 11:28:14 AM
Because it's not Morrowind, because it's the newest game in the series, because it's the most popular game of the series.
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#18Epic_McDudePosted 2/15/2013 11:30:41 AM
Because it has more than a handful of flaws, which makes it automatically suck. The amount of things the game does right doesn't even enter into the equation - all a detractor needs to do is point out any one of these myriad of flaws, followed by a huehuehue or whatever the current popular internet toss-off happens to be - or simply point out said flaw with the proper inflection to indicate that it is the stupidest and most glaring error ever to stain the history of gaming - and they've unquestionably won the argument.

Or to amend a Community quote, people aren't necessarily anti-Skyrim so much as they're pro-anti.

This is the greatest post on this board.

Also, where's our settlement-building thread, damn it?!
---
"Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!" -Dracula, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
#19yediPosted 2/15/2013 11:57:16 AM(edited)
because it's been almost a year and a half and I STILL have low-res gloves and weapons 75% of the time, dragons still have their textures fail to load past the "black snake with flat boxes for wings" phase at least once each time I've popped the game back into the tray and try to pick it up again, the combat is probably the most shallow action RPG combat going(seriously, Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls have left me spoiled as far as ARPG combat is concerned leading to rather high expectations that Skyrim doesn't even try to shoot for...), and the loot system/variety is 100% lol-worthy compared to every other RPG I've played in the last 20 years.

Oh, and the creation system is WORSE than its predecessor. I can make better looking elves in vanilla Oblivion than I can in Skyrim because I have the freedom, should I choose to plunk the time into it, to make elves that don't look like anorexic Klingons(and lets be up front about it here, every single elf in this game looks the same from more than 5 feet away aside from skin color) or a Nord female that doesn't have forehead wrinkles that look like she scalped Triple H. And the voice work still ranges from iffy to 'bleargh'(I swear my female nord grunts like a man and my male nord whimpers like a woman when hit, and I STILL cringe when starting a new guy hearing "I SaAID NEXT PRISoneR...?" from the Imperial captain when you're about to be executed).

Every quest, no matter what, falls back to "There's a cave. I need something in it. There's 20 dudes between you and it. Go." which exacerbates the crapitude of the underwhelming combat by forcing it to the front lines.

Seriously, aside from the environments(which are stunning even compared to recent games like FarCry3), Skyrim was 100% a step down from Oblivion. Even Jeremy Soule's epic soundtrack couldn't save this pile of mediocrity from wearing out on all but the most dedicated. If you like it, cool beans, but there's plenty of things to hold against this game, and Skyrim was a serious step back for me on much of what I enjoyed in Oblivion and Morrowind, and given the Viking vibe of Skyrim I wanted to love it, I really, really REALLY did. But it just kept letting me down and now it's lucky to see play more than once every 3-5 months or so because it's just so basic and bland at everything outside of its setting that playing it simply makes me want to play something else because that something else lets me do what I'm doing in Skyrim, only... better.
---
XBL: rune yedi WII:7327 0713 1219 5379 PS3: yedi
yedi.deviantart.com
#20PraetorXynPosted 2/15/2013 12:18:49 PM
Skyrim was a disappointment to longtime TES fans for many reasons, mostly "dumbing down."
When I say that, I'm not talking about replacing skills with perks etc., I'm talking about general design choices of the game. I still rate Skyrim higher than unmodded Oblivion, which I consider the low-point of the series.

This video does a great job explaining things better than I cuold. It's a good watch, especially for people who never played Morrowind, but even to those woh have it will probably do a good job of reminding you of some of the intricacies you've forgotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JweTAhyR4o0