Something I wish Bethesda would take from Bioware

#1Belgarion05Posted 2/15/2013 12:58:03 PM
It would be really cool if Bethesda could figure out a way to display multiple weapons on your character instead of having them appear out of thin air. In Skyrim, the left hand dual wield weapon comes out of thin air, as does a staff.

I think Bethesda should try to implement something like what Mass Effect has. You can have any amount of weapons/gear in your inventory, but any equipped weapons show. I'm guessing they don't do this now because of clipping issues and perhaps they just don't want to make the animations. To be fair, I can see how conflicts with weapon placement could emerge.

In Mass Effect, you have 4 weapons on at all time. A sniper rifle and an assault rifle on each side of your back, a shotgun on the small of your back, and a pistol on your hip.

I don't think this would work too well with medieval weaponry. What I would suggest, is that they implement a priority "slot" system, for variable locations on the body.

For example, if you wanted to play a diversified character that uses all types of weapons, you could have options to place weapons in these locations:

- Two handed weapon: same place that Skyrim has it
- Full size one handed (sword, mace, axe): hip, left AND right side of back (image how a shield rack looks in Skyrim, just on your character's back), left/right hip
- Shield: on arm or on back (need medieval nerd input: were shields ever placed there?)
- Bow: same place as Skyrim
- Quiver: Back, small of back, or hip
- Short blade/dagger: left/right back, left/right hip, left/right small of back, left/right thigh/boot

You would implement items in order of priority. If you had a 2h weapon, then you could not have a quiver on the small of your back, etc.

It would also be nice if there was a hand slot for staves and two handed weapons. A staff would be carried in Gandalf fashion, and a 2h weapon like a warhammer could be slung over your shoulder. A battleaxe could be carried in Gimli fasion, with hand right under the blade of the weapon, with the shaft going behind you. Since an open world rpg like Skyrim is not likely to have hand animations like opening doors, I think this is reasonable.

Of course, I know that this is a pipe dream. Let's be honest, Bethesda can't avoid clipping as it is (looking at you, hairstyle with 4 braids), and I'm sure they would never put that much time into the animations required for it to work. This is just something I thought would be awesome, not something that I would ever expect to happen.
---
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
#2KabtheMentatPosted 2/15/2013 1:01:24 PM
I rather have them take the better writers Bioware typically has first.

Also, I think part of the reason the lack of crap that's displayed on your character might have something to do with the graphical limitations of the consoles.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
I don't have a cocaine habit, I just like the way it smells.
#3Joe_CobbsPosted 2/15/2013 1:01:30 PM
I'd like that and it's possible they could pull it off. I've seen at least one mod that does this.
#4seth4461Posted 2/15/2013 1:02:03 PM
Bethesda can't even manage to get quivers to sit on a character right :( But it would be nice for aesthetics. Shame they can't manage to program well over there.
---
You may not be as good as I am, I may not compare to you, but until you prove either; I'd wager we'd both be better off staying quiet about it.
#5yediPosted 2/15/2013 1:12:26 PM
there are a LOT of things they need to steal before aesthetics. Like a combat system that revolves around more than how much can you click the trigger before your hand cramps up. Or writing that goes beyond generic gibberish you'd expect out of 8th graders.

Frankly, I'm cool with being able to swap through weapons at will since you may need a specialized weapon at any time(not that it really matters since matching elements and effects to weaknesses outside of Master difficulty is pretty much a waste of time), even if it means that weapons pop out of thin air when swapped to. However, the system used to do so is so archaic and shoddy it is it hurts. Seriously, Two Worlds 2 did equipment swapping better, and that game is a steaming pile.
---
XBL: rune yedi WII:7327 0713 1219 5379 PS3: yedi
yedi.deviantart.com
#6iedahGPosted 2/15/2013 1:16:20 PM
Its really not that complicated.

You can display all sheathed weapons with a simple ini. edit and theres also a mod that removes the display limit. Clipping is a very simple issue to fix because all you have to do is change the bone location or angle.
I dont know why the developers never made this a default setting. They obviously didnt care about overlap and clipping because its all over the quivers, two handed weapons, beast races, a ton of armor pieces , mace rings and robes.

What they really need to work on is the favorites menu because with the current system you are constantly pausing and ruining the flow and challenge of the combat.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=) --" Make things easy for people, not difficult."
#7drclaeysPosted 2/15/2013 1:22:15 PM
Friends,

Bioware has all these sexy chicks you can flirt with. Get involved with, have relationships. IN beth game, all I get are woman that talk about tha damn golden claw I found for them like 200 days ago. they are STILL thanking me.

i dont care about weapons popping out of thin air. I want morigan from Dragon Age and Miranda from Mass Effect to make a showing.

Thank you for sharing.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan.
#8Jstretch19Posted 2/15/2013 2:01:46 PM
KabtheMentat posted...

Also, I think part of the reason the lack of crap that's displayed on your character might have something to do with the graphical limitations of the consoles.

No. I want the likes of Hudson, Gaider, and Hepler no where near TES.
---
Screw GS
#9DairycowsPosted 2/15/2013 2:26:11 PM
Jstretch19 posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

They may be bad, but no worse than the current writing staff. I think it'd likely be a wash.

Characters might be a bit better, but it'd be like comparing a smooth, flat wall made of stone to a brick wall. Both walls, both boring, but at least the brick wall has a little texture.
#10Jstretch19Posted 2/15/2013 2:31:02 PM
Dairycows posted...
Jstretch19 posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

They may be bad, but no worse than the current writing staff. I think it'd likely be a wash.

Characters might be a bit better, but it'd be like comparing a smooth, flat wall made of stone to a brick wall. Both walls, both boring, but at least the brick wall has a little texture.

I'll stipulate to that as long as the characters are DAO caliber, and not DAII caliber.
---
Screw GS