The Dwemer were heartless monsters...

#51Gamer-ChrisPosted 2/16/2013 10:31:58 PM(edited)
Rampagingwalrus posted...
SoulOfFayth posted...
By your logic people are always slaves. If nobody had to work, you'd still have to stay alive. So you'd have to hunt and gather or farm and you'd have to work even harder than in any regular job just to survive and scrape by on the bare essentials.

If you work for yourself, you are free.
Farming, hunting, living off the land, providing for yourself and your family.
If you actually own what you own.

If you are work for somebody else, you are a slave.
If everything you do does nothing for you, but keeps you working another day for another's profit.
If somebody else owns what you own.

Heh, if you think being self sufficient is harder than slaving away in an office, you are deluded.

Well then you realize that you are not a slave because you have the choice to work for yourself, right? That's partly the point I've been trying to make. Personally I don't think working for someone makes you a slave, and if you do that's fine, but part of the point is that you have the option to work for yourself, or not work at all. Slaves don't have that option.
---
I like video games.
#52KabtheMentatPosted 2/16/2013 10:34:11 PM
You're forgetting the fact that you're getting paid, BY SOMEONE ELSE, that enables you to provide for yourself.

What's the difference between working at an office, getting paid, and then buying your own food vs. having a farm and growing your own food? None. When it's all said and done, you're trading your time for some sort of item needed to survive. Getting paid is just a middle man, because you then trade that money (which represents your time) for that food.

And who ******* cares if someone else is making money off of your work? As long as you're being fairly and legally compensated, that's why you hire workers. This anarchist dream world you're on about is a buncha horse ****.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
I don't have a cocaine habit, I just like the way it smells.
#53SoulOfFaythPosted 2/16/2013 10:36:02 PM
Rampagingwalrus posted...
SoulOfFayth posted...
By your logic people are always slaves. If nobody had to work, you'd still have to stay alive. So you'd have to hunt and gather or farm and you'd have to work even harder than in any regular job just to survive and scrape by on the bare essentials.

If you work for yourself, you are free.
Farming, hunting, living off the land, providing for yourself and your family.
If you actually own what you own.

If you are work for somebody else, you are a slave.
If everything you do does nothing for you, but keeps you working another day for another's profit.
If somebody else owns what you own.

Heh, if you think being self sufficient is harder than slaving away in an office, you are deluded.

I bet you couldn't go a month without internet.
If you think that hunting and farming is easier than sitting in an office you are deluded.
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#54RampagingwalrusPosted 2/16/2013 10:38:15 PM
Gamer-Chris posted...
Well then you realize that you are not a slave because you have the choice to work for yourself, right? That's partly the point I've been trying to make. Personally I don't think working for someone makes you a slave, and if you do that's fine, but part of the point is that you have the option to work for yourself, or not work at all. Slaves don't have that option.

American slaves are not the only slaves that ever existed.
Different societies had different rules for their slaves.
It was not always something that was forced upon others, some people volunteered for it.

Also, on the subject of working for yourself...
Where exactly do you think you are going to get the capital to do that?
By borrowing it from somebody else, rendering you an indentured servant of theirs, until you pay back their investment.
Unless they take legal measures to ensure that they will always profit from your work.

As I said, the illusion of choice, the illusion of freedom.
Unless you invent something awesome, or win the lottery, you will likely always be a slave.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
#55Gamer-ChrisPosted 2/16/2013 10:40:20 PM
You need to lay of Alex Jones, man.
---
I like video games.
#56RampagingwalrusPosted 2/16/2013 10:43:20 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
You're forgetting the fact that you're getting paid, BY SOMEONE ELSE, that enables you to provide for yourself.

What's the difference between working at an office, getting paid, and then buying your own food vs. having a farm and growing your own food? None. When it's all said and done, you're trading your time for some sort of item needed to survive. Getting paid is just a middle man, because you then trade that money (which represents your time) for that food.

And who ******* cares if someone else is making money off of your work? As long as you're being fairly and legally compensated, that's why you hire workers. This anarchist dream world you're on about is a buncha horse ****.

The average American worker has a 160% debt ration to their income.
Most people owe more than they will ever be able to pay back.
Not because they are stupid, but because that is how the system is rigged.
Being paid for your work is the smoke and mirrors that lets people think that they are not slaves.

Again, you really need to get beyond the image of the American slave, and realize that slaves commonly had privileges, rights, and even payment for their work.
---
#57KabtheMentatPosted 2/16/2013 10:47:18 PM(edited)
Oh okay. Yeah, you have the world all figured out there it seems.

And;

You need to lay of Alex Jones, man.

---
#58SoulOfFaythPosted 2/16/2013 10:49:32 PM
Umm no, if you spend 60% more than your income you are just bad with money.
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#59RampagingwalrusPosted 2/16/2013 10:49:53 PM
No idea who Alex Jones is... but okay.
You are all more than welcome to think that the world is all peachy keen, and that you are unique and special.
Just knuckle under and accept the world, it is for the best. :-)
---
#60KabtheMentatPosted 2/16/2013 10:51:34 PM
Yeah, you're quite the rebel there.

On the Internet.

On a Skyrim message board.
---