The easy way to explain CHIM

#31SythiriusPosted 2/18/2013 1:43:46 PM
dcorzo posted...
shibulator posted...
Easy way to explain CHIM: It's refarded.

This. So much this.

To be fair, a lot of CHIM is taken straight from eastern mysticism. It's not like the matrix completely. It's not just realizing you are in a dream, but that everyone is actually you. To love yourself and be egotistical, is actually to love everyone, so what you do for the good of the self, you do for the good of the many.

It goes even further with Dagoth Ur, who had kind of a reverse CHIM effect going on where instead of realizing everyone else was himself, he was sort making everyone Ur zombies. Helping to bring them to immortality through corprus but ultimately eating their minds and replacing it was his own corruption, of which he was at the center, dreaming.

There are so many implications to all this that are so interesting to explore, but I can see why one would get tired of it on this board where people talking about CHIM happens nonstop.
---
"You are solved!" -Lord Vivec
#32the_arisenPosted 2/18/2013 1:45:57 PM
So one could almost (<--- see word to the left before going ballistic) say that Dagoth Ur was trying to become the dreamer himself?
---
Find what you love and let it kill you - Bukowski
#33SythiriusPosted 2/18/2013 2:09:50 PM
the_arisen posted...
So one could almost (<--- see word to the left before going ballistic) say that Dagoth Ur was trying to become the dreamer himself?

Haha, don't worry. I won't go nuts on you.

Actually, that is exactly what Dagoth Ur was trying to do.
---
"You are solved!" -Lord Vivec
#34The_Ivory_Man(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 2:53:22 PM
THE POWER OF CHIM

Rebel would become a god and kill all of us if we ever ended up in the TES universe
---
If you are 100% sure Redguards are the master race copy and paste this into your signature
#35RebelElite791Posted 2/18/2013 2:56:53 PM
A_Dirty_Liberal posted...
RebelElite791 posted...
JINJ0 posted...
I'm pretty sure CHIM was a fun, tongue-in-cheek way of alluding to the player's ability to save, reload, and decide the fate of his/her character and the surrounding characters and events. That the writers then decided it should be taken seriously and expanded upon just makes dedicated fans have a lot of fun exploring the history and metaphysics of the series. I love that they did that. :)

You're wrong. No offense.

He's half right, offense. A major part in the elder scrolls has always been modding, and thus being able to change things at a whim. This is old news to me, but I'll post two sources for your reading pleasure off page 1 of google.

http://thepixelbeat.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/the-elder-scrolls-what-is-chim/

http://fallingawkwardly.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/the-metaphysics-of-morrowind-part-3/

No, he's wrong. Offense.

One blogger's incorrect interpretation is not fact.

It has noting to do with any 4th wall/meta crap.
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
#36RebelElite791Posted 2/18/2013 2:57:45 PM
dcorzo posted...
shibulator posted...
Easy way to explain CHIM: It's [NUMINIT].

This. So much this.

D'aww, inb4 moderation.
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
#37the_arisenPosted 2/18/2013 3:12:39 PM
How do we know that Rebel hasnt already attained CHIM... and is bending the meaning of it to his own reality.... >.<
---
Find what you love and let it kill you - Bukowski
#38RebelElite791Posted 2/18/2013 3:14:22 PM
the_arisen posted...
How do we know that Rebel hasnt already attained CHIM... and is bending the meaning of it to his own reality.... >.<

You don't~*~*~**~*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5aW08ivHU
---
#39kamahl25Posted 2/18/2013 3:19:19 PM
RebelElite791 posted...
JINJ0 posted...
I'm pretty sure CHIM was a fun, tongue-in-cheek way of alluding to the player's ability to save, reload, and decide the fate of his/her character and the surrounding characters and events. That the writers then decided it should be taken seriously and expanded upon just makes dedicated fans have a lot of fun exploring the history and metaphysics of the series. I love that they did that. :)

Yup since you were there at Bethesda HQ when they came up with it
#40RebelElite791Posted 2/18/2013 3:22:32 PM
kamahl25 posted...
RebelElite791 posted...
JINJ0 posted...

Yup since you were there at Bethesda HQ when they came up with it

No, since they've never given any indication of that. Silly fan theories/meta jokes are not canon.

Burden of proof. You think it's a 4th wall/console reference? Prove it. Can't? Too bad, quit b****in.
---