White-Gold Question

#1JayAitchPosted 2/18/2013 4:39:11 PM
So, lore-wise, is it feasible that the Empire could have stood a change against the Dominion had they not surrendered? I know that Hammerfell was successful at keeping the Dominion out (albiet major casualties), so couldn't their forces combined with the Empire's have defeated them? Or would it have just turned into a bloody war of attrition?
---
I'll show you my Secret-Fire
#2RikashiPosted 2/18/2013 4:42:22 PM
Defending your own lands is a lot easier than invading others and routing their main forces. No way that the Empire, even with help from Hammerfell, would be able to take on the Thalmor.
---
Wait a moment... pencil processors offline!?
Not changing this sig until Stephen Kings 'It' gets a proper movie adaption.
#3Gamer-ChrisPosted 2/18/2013 4:46:57 PM(edited)
JayAitch posted...
So, lore-wise, is it feasible that the Empire could have stood a change against the Dominion had they not surrendered? I know that Hammerfell was successful at keeping the Dominion out (albiet major casualties), so couldn't their forces combined with the Empire's have defeated them? Or would it have just turned into a bloody war of attrition?

Some people will argue that yes, the Empire could have stopped the Dominion. Personally, I don't think they could have. They could have kept the Dominion out of the north (Cyrodil, High Rock, Hammerfell, Skyrim, Morrowind), but they more than likely wouldn't have been able to support a campaign into Valenwood and Elsweyr (and much less Summerset Isles). The Empire is exhausted. And i think that played a big role in the signing of the White-Gold Concordat. The people are tired. Banning Talos worship is a small price to pay to stop the bloodshed that could lead to the collapse of the Empire.
---
I like video games.
#4Fate_AssassinPosted 2/18/2013 5:05:53 PM
The Empire would have ended up losing. Not only did the AD wipe out the Blades, they may or may not have started riots in some cities. So the empire might have been able to push the AD out of their territory, but it would have been a moot victory.

Not only that but the way the AD conducted the war was basically perfect. Not only were the able to bliztkreig their way to the Imperial City, when they got their they took over it then started to break the people. Then last but not least the probably bride at least some if not all of the Elder Counsel.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
3/13/2013, shipment date
#5RampagingwalrusPosted 2/18/2013 5:11:17 PM
Could have stood a chance, yes.
Doubtful that they could have actually invaded Summerset though.
But they could have prevented the Dominion from invading again, leaving them stranded on their island, as the Empire chipped away at their landlocked allies.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
#6Jstretch19Posted 2/18/2013 5:11:25 PM
The common misconception is that the Dominion still had enough forces to totally overwhelm what was left of the Legion after the Battle of the Red Ring, when that's just not true. The Thalmor's goal is to wipe out humanity and unbind the wheel. If they had enough forces to truly take on the Legion after Mede retook the Imperial City, they would've.
---
Screw GS
#7JayAitch(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 5:13:17 PM
Thank you very much for the answers, all. So basically, the Empire (most likely) would have been able to keep its current territories, but an invasion of the Dominion would have (most likely) been impossible?
---
I'll show you my Secret-Fire
#8Fate_AssassinPosted 2/18/2013 5:13:48 PM
Rampagingwalrus posted...
Could have stood a chance, yes.
Doubtful that they could have actually invaded Summerset though.
But they could have prevented the Dominion from invading again, leaving them stranded on their island, as the Empire chipped away at their landlocked allies.

How when the AD have the strongest navy right now?
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
3/13/2013, shipment date
#9HabefietPosted 2/18/2013 5:14:42 PM
Jstretch19 posted...
The Thalmor's goal is to wipe out humanity and unbind the wheel.

Source RE: the wheel? Haven't been keeping up with some of the more meta stuff.
#10Gamer-ChrisPosted 2/18/2013 5:15:23 PM
JayAitch posted...
Thank you very much for the answers, all. So basically, the Empire (most likely) would have been able to keep its current territories, but an invasion of the Dominion would have (most likely) been impossible?

Pretty much.

And now that Skyrim is split in two, it's even less likely the Empire could invade the south with any degree of success.
---
I like video games.