Help me optimize Crafting Skill Leveling

#1theonyxphoenixPosted 2/18/2013 10:08:02 PM(edited)
Including a description on how to efficiently level your crafting skills in the next Useful Info Update. Any improvments, recommendations, corrections, or expansions on the following would be helpful.

Alchemy, Enchanting, and Smithing can be some of the most tedious skills to level but there are easier and quicker ways to reach 100 in these skills. You will want to use the appropriate standing stone (Warrior, Mage, Thief) and have Lover's Comfort active. If you have the Aetherial Crown you can speed up the process by placing the Lover's Stone on the crown. Remove the crown and then rest to obtain the Lover's Comfort bonus. Then re-equip the crown to gain both effects.

Alchemy

The potions which provide the most profit (in decending order) are:

Giant's Toe + Wheat
Giant's Toe + Blue Mountain Flower
Chaurus Eggs + Vampire Dust
Garlic + slaughterfish Egg
Frost Mirriam + Purple Mountain Flower
Ice Wraith Teeth + Vampire Dust
Canis Root + Imp Stool
Blue Butterfly wing + Springgon Sap
Glow Dust + Spriggan Sap
Glow Dust + Hanging Moss
Salt / Deathbell/ River Betty
Thistle Branch + Slaughterfish Scales
Juniper Berries + Skeever Tail
Tundra Cotton + Void Salts
Blue Dartwing + Orange Dartwing

Over 100 Deathbell plants can be found in Hjaalmarch Hold and around the Apprentice Stone and Abandoned Shack there are River Betty spawning sites (look for the Dartwings). The sites generate between 1-3 River Betty each. Travel to Riften and which contains fish barrels that always contain Salt Piles and have a 25% chance of containing River Betty. There are also many locations in Riften that have Salt Piles: 9 in Mistveil Keep Barracks, 6 in The Bee and Barb, 6 in Riften Warehouse, 6 in Haelga's Bunkhouse, 6 in Temple of Mara. Fast travelling between these two locations should provide easily obtainable, valuable, and low risk ingredients. If you have Hearthfire you can plant Deathbell and hatch your own River Betty.

Enchanting

The most valuable enchantments (in descending order) are: Banish, Paralyze, Absorb Health, Turn Undead (tie) Damage Stamina. You will need a supply of weapons to enchant as well as a supply of soul gems for the process. If you haven't leveled smithing (and have a surplus of Dwarven Bows) then you can purchase all of the iron ingots and leather strips from the four weapons merchants in Whiterun. Smith Iron Daggers. Travel to the College of Winterhold at night and speak to the merchants there and buy all of the filled petty soul gems you can afford. Sell them back to the merchants and repeat the process.

Smithing

Smith Gold Ingots (either obtained from Halted Stream Camp and Transmuted into Gold) or from Kolskeggr Mine in the reach. Both yield around 50 Ingots. It takes 632 gold ingots to reach level 100 (or 517 if you have a good supply of gems).

Otherwise you can head to Nchuand-Zel under Markarth which has around 390 ingots worth of dwemer materials or Mzulft which has around 472. You would be looking for Dwarven Metal Ingots, Bent Dwemer Scrap Metal, Large Decorative Dwemer Struts, Large Dwemer Plate Metal, Large Dwemer Struts, Small Dwemer Plate Metal, and Solid Dwemer Metal. These can be smelted. You will need around 675 Dwarven Ingots and 225 ore to reach 100 in smithing. Since these metals cannot be carried by the player due to their excessive weight you will need a follower to accompany you. If you order the follower to pick up an item using their command menu they can exceed their maximum carry weight and haul the entire load for you. Make 225 Dwarven Bows and then upgrade them to reach 100.
---
Testing: Werewolf/Follower Glitch; Armor usable with Mage Armor and hidden +25 armor/pc; Augment Ring of Necromancy
#2RayzoriumPosted 2/18/2013 11:21:37 PM
I'd say go for 3-ingredient potions if it's convenient. Giant's Toe is obviously the big seller here but a third ingredient with Fortify Carry Weight can bump up the sell price by 30%.

Giant's Toe + Wheat + Creep Cluster/Hawk Beak/River Betty/Scaly Pholiota/Trama Root

Just to name a few common ones.
#3theonyxphoenix(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 11:28:46 PM
Rayzorium posted...
I'd say go for 3-ingredient potions if it's convenient. Giant's Toe is obviously the big seller here but a third ingredient with Fortify Carry Weight can bump up the sell price by 30%.

Giant's Toe + Wheat + Creep Cluster/Hawk Beak/River Betty/Scaly Pholiota/Trama Root

Just to name a few common ones.

Would the value of Giant's Toes (or danger of getting them the hard way) potions outweigh the danger in obtaining them (or finding the limited number of placed ones)?
---
Testing: Werewolf/Follower Glitch; Armor usable with Mage Armor and hidden +25 armor/pc; Augment Ring of Necromancy
#4RayzoriumPosted 2/18/2013 11:38:46 PM
I feel like it's worth it. You can't beat a Giant's Toe combo in sell price and the 3-ingredient potions that come closest are a pain to keep track of. Anyone can remember Giant's Toe + Wheat + any Fortify Carry Weight.
#5theonyxphoenix(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 11:59:42 PM
Rayzorium posted...
I feel like it's worth it. You can't beat a Giant's Toe combo in sell price and the 3-ingredient potions that come closest are a pain to keep track of. Anyone can remember Giant's Toe + Wheat + any Fortify Carry Weight.

The value of one of those is about x3 that of Deathbell/River Betty and the number of found Giant's Toes are around 30 so it roughly ends up about the same.
---
#6RayzoriumPosted 2/19/2013 12:25:02 AM(edited)
Damn! Sorry, I totally glazed over that. Deathbell/River Betty is one kick-ass combo; I'm surprised that I haven't heard of it until now. The Salt Pile actually seems to be extraneous, which makes it even simpler.

Edit: Hah. Funnily enough, adding a third Fortify Carry Weight ingredient gives a very nice boost here, too. Nothing particularly special about this effect; it's just the way the ingredients work out. Adds about 55% to the price of the potion.
#7Mick65Posted 2/19/2013 3:57:50 AM
Salmon Roe, Nordic Barnacle, Garlic. Assuming you have Hearthfire.
---
JAFO
#8RayzoriumPosted 2/19/2013 12:38:35 PM
Wow, Salmon Roe is nuts. Beats the pants off of Giant's Toe. Seems hard to get a hold of, though.
#9theonyxphoenix(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 1:02:59 PM
Seems as though Alchemy falls under 1. Expensive, but harder to obtain plentiful amounts of ingredients or 2. Potions with plentiful, but less valuable results.

What about Smithing and Enchanting? Do those two look good as is?
---
#10NepharenPosted 2/19/2013 1:22:19 PM
I would also mention the benefits of home building in hearthfire for those who do not want to invest perks in smithing but want to level it. Seems much easier to acquire iron ingots than it is to acquire iron ore.

Also didn't notice if you mentioned anything about powers that can help level skills. Ancient knowledge for smithing, boosting skill level via enchantment/potion for smithing and alchemy. I don't believe enchanting is based on value of enchantment but it could aid in funding the process so Ahzidal's Insight and Seeker of Sorcery from dragonborn. Scholar's insight for all three if you saved the skill books.