Help me optimize Crafting Skill Leveling

#11FreeMan5407Posted 2/19/2013 1:28:36 PM
theonyxphoenix posted...
Seems as though Alchemy falls under 1. Expensive, but harder to obtain plentiful amounts of ingredients or 2. Potions with plentiful, but less valuable results.

What about Smithing and Enchanting? Do those two look good as is?

smithing leather is a reliable/fast way but i guess you already know that

buy all hide/pelts from general store, hunt animals, and buy all leather and strips from merchant smith

i remember everytime i visit a city, i do the cycle buy from general store and then merchant smither, i could level up 1 level even at my +70 smithing skill , pretty effective if you ask me since i don't have any experience booster

the only bad part is can be rather expensive, i suggest take a decent fortify barter gear and sell the armor,becoming more cheaper and effective better than training at higher levels
#12turn_basedPosted 2/19/2013 1:28:44 PM
Alchemy:

How does blue butterfly wings and blue mountain flowers rate? They're availability is rather abundant and paired with hanging moss increases the value even more.

Enchanting:

Fact- The higher the enchantment percentage the greater xp when disenchanting, not the items value. I was told I could smith an item to increase it's disenchant value but it did not work for me.

My strategy to grind enchanting would consist of finding a turn undead item immeadiately, using that on daggers and dwarven bows, while keeping an eye out for the higher level enchantments during the process.

An overall idea to consider if maxing all skills is to pursue enchanting first, since that will speed up alchemy, which coupled with enchanting, can fly through smithing via fortify smithing potions.

Another stone to consider? Lover's Stone. Boosting your speech from selling all of your items, (ONE AT A TIME FOR MAX XP) is something to consider when you have well rested bonus.
---
Redguards Rule!
#13theonyxphoenix(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 3:13:05 PM
@ Nepharen

I wanted to avoid having to use potions to increase smithing and enchanting as I wanted to keep the methods as segregated as possible. As for Ancient Knowledge, though...that is a good point and would be worth adding.

I'm not sure how fast making Hearthfire components levels smithing compared to Dwarven Bows.

@ Freeman5407

Recently ashtardevo gave information on how many of each item you would need to reach 100. Leather, although abundant, required almost twice as many components to reach 100 as the other methods mentioned. It is one of the better methods, but I think the despite the reliable availability, the more minimal requirements of the gold/dwarven method would be more beneficial.

@ turn_based

Deathbell/River Betty is a more lucrative potion than Blue Buttery Wing/Blue Mountain Flower
---
Testing: Werewolf/Follower Glitch; Armor usable with Mage Armor and hidden +25 armor/pc; Augment Ring of Necromancy
#14ben_foxPosted 2/19/2013 4:04:10 PM
It should be noted that Hearthfire makes maxing Alchemy ridiculously easy. Windstadt manor gives you free respawning fish, plus the option of a garden and a greenhouse, which keeps you ridiculously stocked in ingredients.

I'm not sure how well this stacks up but Canis Root/Swamp Fungal Pod + Mora Tapinella + Imp Stool makes a potion that both gives you decent experience and is fantastic to have on you (Paralysis + Lingering Damage Health). This potion can also be made from 100% growable ingredients, which might factor in for those with Hearthfire.

Luna Moth Wing/Vampire Dust/Nirnroot + Chaurus Egg is another possibility. There are well over 200 Chaurus Eggs below Frostflow Lighthouse alone and plenty of Luna Moths and Nirnroot about.

Nirnroot also has the single largest value adjustment when used to make Damage Health poisons, although Damage Health has a fairly low coin (and thus xp) value iirc.

For enchanting jewelry or armor, Waterbreathing gives maximum value with petty soul gems. At any level of soul gem above petty, Fortify Magicka, then Fortify Sneak. Might be handy to know for those who are also grinding smithing with Gold Ingots.
#15NepharenPosted 2/19/2013 4:10:48 PM
theonyxphoenix posted...
I'm not sure how fast making Hearthfire components levels smithing compared to Dwarven Bows.

It seems about effective as crafting iron daggers. The main reason I mentioned it was because if you intend to build a couple of houses anyway, you might as well get the skill increase for it and it doesn't require any smithing perk investments. I haven't built all three houses in a while but I recall reaching somewhere between 65-75 smithing when I was done.
#16jammymacsterPosted 2/19/2013 4:21:16 PM
theonyxphoenix posted...
Deathbell/River Betty is a more lucrative potion than Blue Buttery Wing/Blue Mountain Flower

In my opinion Blue Butterfly Wing and Blue Mountain Flower potions should at least be mentioned due to how vastly abundant they are. I often end up with very large amounts of them.

Also with enchanting. When disenchanting, items with higher value give more experience. So disenchant higher value items and smith them if possible to improve experience gain. Also it should be made clear in the Useful Info thread that when enchanting items, the value of the item created doesn't matter in regards to experience, only for resell value, just to make sure there's no confusion for people reading the thread.
---
AKA: Valadez
#17BoozinFTWPosted 2/19/2013 7:24:34 PM
Resto looping increase alchemy insanely fast. Don't have to use on equipment if you don't want to. Can be 100 in minutes.
---
Not changing this until Tony Romo is replaced
#18theonyxphoenix(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 7:27:06 PM
BoozinFTW posted...
Resto looping increase alchemy insanely fast. Don't have to use on equipment if you don't want to. Can be 100 in minutes.

I'm trying to stick to legitimate methods and calculations that don't involve exploits or glitches so that those who want to refrain from such things have the ability to do so. Once you start resto-looping things it makes most other calculations and restrictions pointless.
---
Testing: Werewolf/Follower Glitch; Armor usable with Mage Armor and hidden +25 armor/pc; Augment Ring of Necromancy
#19BoozinFTWPosted 2/19/2013 7:31:39 PM
theonyxphoenix posted...
BoozinFTW posted...

I'm trying to stick to legitimate methods and calculations that don't involve exploits or glitches so that those who want to refrain from such things have the ability to do so. Once you start resto-looping things it makes most other calculations and restrictions pointless.

Sure, I understand but isn't leveling in and of itself exploiting, ie make potions you won't be using just for the purpose to level?
---
Not changing this until Tony Romo is replaced
#20jammymacsterPosted 2/19/2013 7:34:09 PM
BoozinFTW posted...
Sure, I understand but isn't leveling in and of itself exploiting, ie make potions you won't be using just for the purpose to level?

No, you're using legitimate methods to level the skill. Plus as a role-play point you're actually practicing alchemy regardless of if you use the items. Resto looping is a glitch. So using that is an exploit.
---
AKA: Valadez