hardcore gaming? *slight wall o' text..kinda

#1sakatuyaPosted 2/18/2013 10:34:44 PM
I recently picked up a copy of dead souls and I'm really trying to get into. Why? Because I've heard it compared here on these boards as more hardcore then the casual gameplay of skyrim and wanted to form my own opinion..and a new game to play. It was twenty bucks so it seemed like a good price..new too. Anyways after a few days of playing and countless deaths due to being corned and literally raped. Like ' hardcore ' raped. I have to ask, Is this what separates the hardcore from the casual? Work your way through ridiculously strong beginning enemies and most likely die and lose everything just to fight the same guys again, just to maybe get a little further and die again? I've read the 'dumbing down' topics here...so many..and I personally don't see it in skyrim. Don't get me wrong though there's a few things I do miss but I feel there on the right path.. That said I enjoy it but I don't get why some say its to casual.
Is it the lack of building up your stats? Dark souls has a good amount which is cool and I started with oblivion which had acrobatics and such, and hope to purchase morrowind goty soon and I understand that morrowind has a bunch of different attributes/stats/weapons/factions being called the best of the series for good reason I'm sure. Do you consider that more hardcore than skyrim or similar? I don't want to start any arguments I just want to know what you guys consider hardcore gaming. Because..Ima lil cunfuzeadid...
---
thrill me.
#2GriffRobertsPosted 2/18/2013 10:38:52 PM
The main problem is that "hardcore vs. casual" gaming is a f***ing stupid concept to begin with.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#3KabtheMentatPosted 2/18/2013 10:39:22 PM
It's hard to say. I guess people that are playing Mario Party wouldn't be considered hardcore. I, on the other hand, have hundreds of video games across several platforms and PC. Been into it for 25 years. Some might consider that hardcore.

What people call dumbing down is usually streamlining. Streamlining isn't always a bad thing.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
I don't have a cocaine habit, I just like the way it smells.
#4VelvenCrossPosted 2/18/2013 10:45:23 PM
Its all just hipster slang. Not a lot of SNES era gamers use any of that slang for example. To each his own I guess.
#5sakatuya(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 10:55:05 PM
I agree with you all I just thought I was missing something. Like having 25 years of gaming..daum man I got about 15 and don't plan on quiting anytime soon but that's something I'd consider hardcore. When I hear people say' that game is sooo hardcore' I picture an egoraptor animation.
---
thrill me.
#6sakatuya(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 11:05:12 PM
I guess I mean dark souls. Wow.
---
thrill me.
#7GodSpark127Posted 2/18/2013 11:09:10 PM
More difficult generally means more hardcore.

That said, there is a fine line between legitimate difficulty and slamming your face into a brick wall just for the sake of slamming your face into a brick wall.
---
You're in the topic. Topic is in the forum. Troll is in the forum.
#8RebelElite791Posted 2/18/2013 11:15:09 PM
Inb4 moderation/warning.
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
#9GriffRobertsPosted 2/18/2013 11:20:48 PM
That said, there is a fine line between legitimate difficulty and slamming your face into a brick wall just for the sake of slamming your face into a brick wall.

This. There's a difference between legitimate difficulty, and downright obtuse or frustrating game mechanics. That's where a lot of this groping over "streamlining" comes from. The game is easier because it's less stupid.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#10SchesparnPosted 2/18/2013 11:27:49 PM
_o

You say you were literally raped in that game? See, I don't remember that part. Funny, that.
---
Look, for the last time: Kirby has explained it over and over!
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk138/Schesparn/11911255317531.gif