hardcore gaming? *slight wall o' text..kinda

#11sakatuya(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 11:32:04 PM
GodSpark127 posted...
More difficult generally means more hardcore.

That said, there is a fine line between legitimate difficulty and slamming your face into a brick wall just for the sake of slamming your face into a brick wall.

That's how I feel when I play it, and I'm seriously trying to get into this game but it almost seems like its not worth it. When I play skyrim its no worries I may get my ass handed to me through the first half of a tough fight but I bounce back which is far more satisfying, but dark souls is just..I don't know. I know the two games are completely different I just didn't expect dark souls to be so unforgiving...PREPAIR TO DIE..they don't lie. JUST LET ME PASS THIS DAMN AREA! Kill your way to the end get ambushed or corned DIE. Respawn a year away and fight again! Cause everyone LOVES repetition. Like a nightmare..sorry to rant..tiz late.
---
thrill me.
#12GodSpark127Posted 2/18/2013 11:36:20 PM
Schesparn posted...
_o

You say you were literally raped in that game? See, I don't remember that part. Funny, that.

Molag Bal, shows up when you least expect him.
---
You're in the topic. Topic is in the forum. Troll is in the forum.
#13the_arisenPosted 2/19/2013 1:01:45 AM
I wouldn't consider Dark Souls to be a hardcore game... it is simply just a game of repetition and timing (and a highly overrated one in my opinion). It was ok but definitely not worth the 60 I spent on brand new.

You wanna know what I consider a game for hardcore gamers - any of the marios, the old sonic games, the old donkey kong games, tetris, super meatboy... why you ask... because they are purely based on your skill. You cant exploit the game and even memorizing the levels is only going to get you so far. You dont get any upgrades you start out as good as you will ever be, and the game only gets harder from there. Most people just kinda go "oh they are based for kids look at the bright colors and fun animations... this is so casual" However anyone who says that is fool.

No one can deny the Elder scrolls games have been streamlined a bit, and we could argue all day whether or not this is a good or a bad thing. Does it change the fact that most of us have had countless hours of enjoyment while playing skyrim? No no it doesnt
---
Find what you love and let it kill you - Bukowski
#14GodSpark127Posted 2/19/2013 1:14:45 AM
the_arisen posted...
I wouldn't consider Dark Souls to be a hardcore game... it is simply just a game of repetition and timing (and a highly overrated one in my opinion). It was ok but definitely not worth the 60 I spent on brand new.

You wanna know what I consider a game for hardcore gamers - any of the marios, the old sonic games, the old donkey kong games, tetris, super meatboy... why you ask... because they are purely based on your skill. You cant exploit the game and even memorizing the levels is only going to get you so far. You dont get any upgrades you start out as good as you will ever be, and the game only gets harder from there. Most people just kinda go "oh they are based for kids look at the bright colors and fun animations... this is so casual" However anyone who says that is fool.

No one can deny the Elder scrolls games have been streamlined a bit, and we could argue all day whether or not this is a good or a bad thing. Does it change the fact that most of us have had countless hours of enjoyment while playing skyrim? No no it doesnt

Not to mention no saving. You want to beat the game? You better have 6+ hours to do it in one run. And a lot of f***ing continues, lol.
---
You're in the topic. Topic is in the forum. Troll is in the forum.
#15webbc99Posted 2/19/2013 5:48:30 AM
I think the difference is the level of investment required to beat the game. It's an effort vs. reward thing.

Consider a game that I feel is one of the more "hardcore" games out in recent years: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP).

This game pits you against giant monsters, with a time limit of 50 minutes, three lives, and limited healing resources. I was stuck on a particular quest (where you have to kill two monsters called Tigrex at the same time) for about a week. The improvement in my skill and the level of my determination required to overcome that challenge was far more than anything you could find in Skyrim. That's imo what "hardcore" gaming is all about. It's about the level of investment required to beat a game.

Sometimes it's not all about skill - sometimes it's about character building, planning and number crunching. Sometimes it's about time investment. But the key thing is the level of investment.

Most games now are designed to be beaten by anybody. The "casual" gamer. The gamer who will quit or cheat rather than to have to try and work out a puzzle if he gets stuck. The gamer that will get frustrated if he has to replay a level. These games have a very low skill floor, and (in the case of Skyrim) have "streamlined" so much that options you used to have no longer exist. It's now impossible to fail. There are not many Ornstein and Smough (Dark Souls) difficulty fights. Even the new Monster Hunter games are way more easy than they used to be.

The level of investment required to beat these games is minimal. You may spend a lot of time on Skyrim because it's a good game, but there's not really any progression at any point and no investment from YOU as the player. You're not involved, really, in any meaningful way. You could scrape through most fights, even dragons, just pressing the attack button over and over. You just wander around aimlessly doing stuff, passively getting strong over time with no real direction.

The problem is a) games need to make money. With accessibility comes easier games, which are less likeley to be "hardcore" in nature.

And b) with the internet in wide-spread use now, it's quite difficult for any secrets or puzzles or even fight tactics to exist without being trivialised by a youtube video. It's really hard to design a good game knowing that.

Just think when we all played Final Fantasy VII - knowing how to get a Gold Chocobo was like arcane knowledge, whispered in school playgrounds to other nerds. Nowadays it's really hard for things like that exist. And imo that sort of thing used to be "normal" and would be "hardcore" by today's standards if it wasn't something a quick google could tell you.

Another example: That dude in the Arcade that used fatalities on you on Mortal Kombat 2. That sort of arcane knowledge that just doesn't exist anymore in the world of gaming, for the most part.

Sorry this went on for ages. It is an interesting topic :)
---
PSN: Toastie88 | XBL: Mor7al S7rike | Steam: webbc99
Playing: World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, PSASBR
#16SoulOfFaythPosted 2/19/2013 5:50:35 AM
People 'like' ridiculously hard games because they can brag about beating them and them being 'too easy'.
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#17RikashiPosted 2/19/2013 5:53:17 AM
webbc99 posted...

It's not. This thread has been done before a million times already.
---
Wait a moment... pencil processors offline!?
Not changing this sig until Stephen Kings 'It' gets a proper movie adaption.
#18webbc99Posted 2/19/2013 5:55:14 AM
Rikashi posted...
webbc99 posted...

Which proves that people find the topic quite interesting. Think about it for a second :P
---
PSN: Toastie88 | XBL: Mor7al S7rike | Steam: webbc99
Playing: World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, PSASBR
#19RikashiPosted 2/19/2013 5:57:39 AM
webbc99 posted...
Rikashi posted...
webbc99 posted...

Which proves that people find the topic quite interesting. Think about it for a second :P

The Stormcloak vs Empire threads still pop from time to time and end up in 300+ posts f***fests. You call those interesting as well? :p
---
Wait a moment... pencil processors offline!?
Not changing this sig until Stephen Kings 'It' gets a proper movie adaption.
#20GriffRobertsPosted 2/19/2013 6:03:13 AM
Don't forget the Destruction magic arguments.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.