What's up with the oblivion hate?

#1gunsndrosesPosted 2/20/2013 1:21:39 PM
The consensus seems to be that oblivion was the weakest TES game of the past 3. Why? I had more fun and playtime with oblivion than I ever did with morrowind, and Skyrim (to me) is roughly equal, if not slightly better than oblivion.

Oblivions world was freaking awesome and that seems to be what many people hate. Idk, it was beautiful. The terrain was pretty varied, too. I found Ayleid ruins to be objectively better in quality and excitement than Nordic ruins, and Oblivion had no shortage of forts, as well. Oblivions questlines were infinitely better than Skyrims, too. There was a large variety of weapons and armor, spellmaking, classes, etc.

What gives?
---
World at War was the best CoD.
#2GodSpark127Posted 2/20/2013 1:28:04 PM
Leveled everything. Everything? EVERYTHING!

That's why.
---
You're in the topic. Topic is in the forum. Troll is in the forum.
#3Joe_CobbsPosted 2/20/2013 1:34:15 PM
-Character creation was god awful.

-Leveled enemies with ridiculous gear.

-Ugly character models and pastel colors.

That's about it for me. I liked it a lot anyways though.
#4gunsndroses(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 1:41:05 PM
The character creation really wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. The graphics were fairly decent for the game's time as well. I admit the levelling thing was a problem, but at least there was a constant challenge throughout the game. I didn't mind it at all; it was preferable, IMO, to being massively and ostensibly overpowered.
---
World at War was the best CoD.
#5MC2011Posted 2/20/2013 1:41:39 PM(edited)
Levelled enemies/loot/quest rewards were the main thing. Then there was the speed trees and generic lego dungeons.

Beyond that, the quests were infinitely times better, the random loot itself was better (I.E. Mudane Ring, Ring of the Iron Fist, Amulet of Axes/Swords vs Skyrim's... Yeah.)
---
T8e w*!m+% i, wh[>e 1)v=d [o6r %8fe.
The woman in white saved your life.
#6konokonohamaruPosted 2/20/2013 1:42:32 PM
Mainly the counterintuitive leveling system that punishes you for leveling your major skills and rewards you for leveling your minor skills
#7lalallaalalPosted 2/20/2013 1:42:39 PM
I enjoyed it.
#8TheBestFallerPosted 2/20/2013 1:44:13 PM
I seriously believe that I am the ONLY person in existence who actually prefers the "leveled enemies" from Oblivion, while everyone else prefers to just complain.
---
I shoulda listened to 'em cause it all made sense, burn the bodies, burn the clothes, burn up all the evidence.
#9darkportal785Posted 2/20/2013 1:44:25 PM(edited)
I enjoyed it.

This. Played through the game multiple times and I never had a problem with any of the recurring themes that people have problems with.

Then again, I play videogames in order to have fun, something that people, sadly, no longer look for.
---
Who's eyes are those eyes?
#10Bigj089Posted 2/20/2013 1:46:52 PM
Joe_Cobbs posted...
-Character creation was god awful.

-Leveled enemies with ridiculous gear.

-Ugly character models and pastel colors.

That's about it for me. I liked it a lot anyways though.

These plus

Leveled enemies

A lot of the dungeons just felt TOO much alike

Terrain, while nice to look at, just didnt have much to it in an exploring fassion

Fewer items you could equip at once

Leveled enemies.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator