Will Dawnguard ruin my game?

#1PacificCoastHWYPosted 2/20/2013 10:17:38 PM
I got it when it was on sale but I've read so many horror stories about the vampires killing everyone. Is this an overblown story or does it happen often?
#2ToxicLimePosted 2/20/2013 10:18:53 PM
I've yet to see anything serious happen. It's the internet, people will exaggerate everything they can.
---
PSN: Toxic-Limes
X360 Gamertag: GodLy EviL
#3rodman870Posted 2/20/2013 10:27:54 PM
They go door to door massacring every living thing in sight! Once they kill all the people they kill each other just for fun!

haha. No it's not a big deal. They attack towns occasionally, but if you have any good set of skills, a decent follower, a town full of guards, and that whole "reloading" thing you should be fine.

Really they're the vampiric equivalent of dragon attacks..
---
I like tacos more than burritos.
I'm going to eat a taco, then a burrito. Get it right people...
#4theonyxphoenixPosted 2/20/2013 10:30:50 PM
you can reverse pickpocket powerful weapons on NPCs to help kill the vampires.
#5PacificCoastHWY(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 10:35:41 PM
I just dont want that trader from Whiterun to die lol
#6zeroboboPosted 2/20/2013 10:36:21 PM
its easy to avoid. just dont enter towns at nighttime or dusk.
even if you do, if you have autosave enabled, you can just load and be more prepared to beat off the vampire attack before they kill anyone.

personally, i bought dawnguard, i enjoyed playing through it, i uninstalled it for future playthroughs months ago and i doubt i'll ever install it again, simply because the vampire attacks are annoying. yes you can avoid them, yes if they go badly you can load. but the benefits of the DLC do not outweigh the frustration and annoyance of the vampire attacks imo.

i mean maybe im crazy and OCD, ive deleted character with 40+ hours on them merely cus they had a bugged quest item that i had no way of removing from their inventory and it bugged me so much i couldnt keep playing that character. so maybe im not the best so shed an opinion on this.

but hey, vampire attacks are super annoying, they make no sense in the story or lore, they serve absolutely NO purpose other than being super god damn annoying and making you either save scum which feels dirty, or constantly wait outside towns for fear vampires might spawn when towns are supposed to be safe haven.

i honestly think dawnguard is a bad DLC for that simple massive design flaw in it. if random vampire attacks didnt happen in towns then i'd absolutely recommend it since the DLC is a fun questline. people will say, "just rush through it and the vampire attacks stop" well i guess they've never played an opene world game.......

i'd never recommend dawnguard till they patch out the nonsensical vampire attacks, because i'm serious, the vampire attacks make absolutely NO SENSE in context of the story. it'd actually hinder the vampires goals i mean i could understand finding a skulking vampire trying to stealth feed on someone. but not ramdomly butchering people. why the hell would they do that? it makes absolutely no sense.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#7Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 2/20/2013 10:40:53 PM
I remember that whole "Wanderer" BS people were saying was going into peoples homes and killing them even if you weren't in the house when it happened. It was really sad since quite a few people believed this BS.
no but really people will make up just about anything for no reason
---
The bears can smell the menstruation
#8DougymcPosted 2/21/2013 1:11:48 AM
I haven't had anybody die in months, even when they do attack (unless you count guards). I used to have almost every non-essential blacksmith dead, but I was very slow to react to the attacks back then.
#9silverhunter16Posted 2/21/2013 4:09:06 AM
I think they toned down the occurrence of vampire attacks. Before you couldn't walk into town at night without a group or 2 of vampire minions attacking, but now they only occur every once in awhile
---
"Screw the rules, I have money!!!"
#10DarkSeraphMPosted 2/21/2013 5:03:26 AM
It's completely overblown. I lost exactly one NPC to vampire attacks, and it was that drunken racist that stands just inside the Windhelm gate with Rolff Stone-Fist. No great loss.

1. Don't go outside in a city at night.

2. Don't fast-travel to a city if you will arrive at night. Time your traveling or travel to the stables and wait until daytime before you enter the city.

2a. If you must travel at night, travel to the main gate. I.e. if you're going to Whiterun, don't FT to Dragonsreach. The vampires will always spawn at the main gate, so while you're standing outside Dragonsreach, the villagers are getting massacred at the gate.

3. If you see a strange NPC in hooded robes called The Traveler, ready yourself. S*** is about to go down.
---
Hey there, sweetroll; I just cast Oakflesh... if you know what I mean.