Another Dawnguard topic. (sorry)

#1TherasPosted 2/21/2013 5:16:52 AM
Recently came into some points and had a few questions about the DLC that the reviews I found didn't answer.

Do the vampire attacks on the villages/towns happen before you start the DLC and do they continue after you finish it?

Are the attacks random where a quest marker pops up and tells you a village is under attack or does it just happen when you fast-travel to a town and it's dusk or night time? If so can you avoid attacks on towns by traveling to the stables or outskirts and waiting till day time?

Are the crossbows under powered and not worth getting?

Finally is it worth getting for someone who has no interest in becoming a vampire or roleplaying one?
---
-
#2DarkSeraphMPosted 2/21/2013 5:48:46 AM(edited)
Theras posted...
Recently came into some points and had a few questions about the DLC that the reviews I found didn't answer.

Do the vampire attacks on the villages/towns happen before you start the DLC and do they continue after you finish it?

Are the attacks random where a quest marker pops up and tells you a village is under attack or does it just happen when you fast-travel to a town and it's dusk or night time? If so can you avoid attacks on towns by traveling to the stables or outskirts and waiting till day time?

Finally is it worth getting for someone who has no interest in becoming a vampire or roleplaying one?

Vampire attacks begin as soon as the first quest begins, which will happen as soon as you hear about the Dawnguard from either a random guard or a specific NPC that walks around recruiting people. They will end as soon as you complete the questline.

They only happen when you walk through a door into a town at night. So if you're already in a town, don't go outside until daytime. If you're fast-traveling to a town, fast-travel to the stables and wait until daytime to go inside the city, or time your fast-travel so you arrive during the day. There was a topic around here a few months ago that gives the exact travel time from city to city.

Crossbows are not underpowered and are pretty neat, and you can get exploding elemental bolts for them.

It is certainly worth it even if you don't want to be a vamp. I have been playing TES since Morrowind and have never once been a vampire or even wanted to be.
---
Hey there, sweetroll; I just cast Oakflesh... if you know what I mean.
#3Theras(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 6:47:44 AM
Thanks for the informative and speedy reply. I'll most likely download it later today, much appreciated DarkSeraphM.
---
-
#4silverhunter16Posted 2/21/2013 7:10:37 AM
DarkSeraphM posted...
Theras posted...

Vampire attacks begin as soon as the first quest begins, which will happen as soon as you hear about the Dawnguard from either a random guard or a specific NPC that walks around recruiting people. They will end as soon as you complete the questline.

They only happen when you walk through a door into a town at night. So if you're already in a town, don't go outside until daytime. If you're fast-traveling to a town, fast-travel to the stables and wait until daytime to go inside the city, or time your fast-travel so you arrive during the day. There was a topic around here a few months ago that gives the exact travel time from city to city.

Crossbows are not underpowered and are pretty neat, and you can get exploding elemental bolts for them.

It is certainly worth it even if you don't want to be a vamp. I have been playing TES since Morrowind and have never once been a vampire or even wanted to be.

Several of these are slightly incorrect.
Vampire attacks will being as early as level 8 whether or not you choose to participate with the dawnguard MQ and will continue until the MQ for dawnguard is complete.

Vampires can also attack the stables outside of town and any small
settlements like riverwood at night and sometimes they may glitch and attack during the day.

Crossbow are not underpowered however be aware that they're only steel and dwarven crossbows and they make use of bolts to fire instead of arrows. The bolts also only come in steel and dwarven with magical bolt with fire,frost, or shock damage. Also crossbows have Upgraded versions of the standard steel and dwaven crossbows that ignore 50% of armor that can still be enchanted to have more effects.

The DLC is very interesting and has more positive than negative features so it is well worth it
---
"Screw the rules, I have money!!!"
#5DarkSeraphMPosted 2/21/2013 7:18:37 AM
silverhunter16 posted...
<Several of these are slightly incorrect.
Vampire attacks will being as early as level 8 whether or not you choose to participate with the dawnguard MQ and will continue until the MQ for dawnguard is complete.

Vampires can also attack the stables outside of town and any small
settlements like riverwood at night and sometimes they may glitch and attack during the day.

Crossbow are not underpowered however be aware that they're only steel and dwarven crossbows and they make use of bolts to fire instead of arrows. The bolts also only come in steel and dwarven with magical bolt with fire,frost, or shock damage. Also crossbows have Upgraded versions of the standard steel and dwaven crossbows that ignore 50% of armor that can still be enchanted to have more effects.

The DLC is very interesting and has more positive than negative features so it is well worth it

You're correct; I'm sorry. I never personally experienced a vampire attack before starting the quest Dawnguard, but after doing some research it seems you're right. Sorry, TC.
---
Hey there, sweetroll; I just cast Oakflesh... if you know what I mean.