Staves:Useful tools or for RP purposes only

#1silverhunter16Posted 2/21/2013 9:04:05 AM
I want to hear people's opinions on the usefulness of a mage staff at both early and late gameplay.

I personally enjoy using staves with my mage at both early and late stages of gameplay just because it looks and feels right to see a mage wielding one as opposed to one that uses a melee weapon of some kind.

What are your thoughts on the subject?
(Please be civil with all comments)
---
"Screw the rules, I have money!!!"
#2SchesparnPosted 2/21/2013 9:14:11 AM
I'd like them a lot more if:

- It "hid" your other hand while you wielded one. Or let you block with it. It looks stupid to wield a staff and make a fist with the other hand.
- It showed up on your character when put away. Nope, they just vanish when not in use.
---
Look, for the last time: Kirby has explained it over and over!
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk138/Schesparn/11911255317531.gif
#3DarkSeraphMPosted 2/21/2013 9:17:07 AM
Some, such as Summon staves, can be very useful when given to followers that will use them. They're quite useful in the early stages of a mage build, before you get a large Magicka pool/casting-cost reduction enchantments. In the later stages of a mage build, there's not really any advantages to using them.
---
Hey there, sweetroll; I just cast Oakflesh... if you know what I mean.
#4JeffDudeLPosted 2/21/2013 9:19:53 AM
That one "Stave" you get from Sheogorath is brilliant, makes me laugh to use it. is it the Wobbajack? something like that.
---
It really tied the room together....
#5Necro_Fear89Posted 2/21/2013 9:27:10 AM
The ability to make scrolls would be awesome, but I can see why they wouldn't add it. It would basically be a spell-making mechanic that would make the game's already established spells obsolete, since scrolls cost no magicka and don't require perks to use.
---
"Soul of the Mind key to life's ether, Soul of the lost withdrawn from it's vessel, Let strength be granted so the world might be mended..."
#6robitussin217Posted 2/21/2013 10:03:42 AM
Necro_Fear89 posted...
The ability to make scrolls would be awesome, but I can see why they wouldn't add it. It would basically be a spell-making mechanic that would make the game's already established spells obsolete, since scrolls cost no magicka and don't require perks to use.

If they were somewhat difficult to make, cost a lot of gold and offered a good buffer to a magic build, it'd be great to craft scrolls.

For instance, in addition to the normal spells, you could have a set of spells that you can only get in scroll form, like magic or combat buffers over a large amount of time. They could be like super perks, just not permanent. You could have scrolls that transform you into a werewolf or vampire lord but with new buffers to expand their viability in the end game.

So you can rely on normal spells for enemies you wouldn't dream of wasting your hard earned scrolls on. And for funner, tougher situations scrolls.
#7silverhunter16(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 10:03:49 AM
Schesparn posted...
I'd like them a lot more if:

- It "hid" your other hand while you wielded one. Or let you block with it. It looks stupid to wield a staff and make a fist with the other hand.
- It showed up on your character when put away. Nope, they just vanish when not in use.

I agree with this because it does look a little odd for a mage to be wielding a stave and make a fist. It's like some old man holding a cane and balling his fist at you which is not a mage is suppose to look.

I also miss that staves don't go on your back when your not wielding them. I know they're magical and all but for it to seemingly just appear out of thin air is ludicrous.
---
#8silverhunter16(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 10:19:52 AM
robitussin217 posted...
Necro_Fear89 posted...

If they were somewhat difficult to make, cost a lot of gold and offered a good buffer to a magic build, it'd be great to craft scrolls.

For instance, in addition to the normal spells, you could have a set of spells that you can only get in scroll form, like magic or combat buffers over a large amount of time. They could be like super perks, just not permanent. You could have scrolls that transform you into a werewolf or vampire lord but with new buffers to expand their viability in the end game.

So you can rely on normal spells for enemies you wouldn't dream of wasting your hard earned scrolls on. And for funner, tougher situations scrolls.

They have something similar with the Shalidor's Insight scrolls that boost the effectiveness of spells, but there should be scrolls that offer other combat boosts as well like a health boost scroll. There could also be scrolls that create smokescreens that blinds enemies or a doppelganger scroll to summons an illusion to distract them.

Maybe even have rare scrolls that provide a permanent boost that can only be used once and require great effect to acquire. Permanent armor boost, faster movement boost, increased health regeneration speed just to name a few.
---
#9NepharenPosted 2/21/2013 10:29:56 AM
I use staves in the early stages of a mage's career, throughout the career of a warrior builds, and to give magic to my followers. I love the addition of staff crafting with dragonborn. It finally makes it possible to make a destruction mage follower because I could never find the expert destruction staves before.

An interesting build I tried once was a shouting build that that utilized staves. Perks in magic skills but never put any points in magicka and no magic reduction gear. Wore clothing exclusively and carried about 7+ staves at any given time.
#10GriffRobertsPosted 2/21/2013 10:44:14 AM
Staves are amazing for followers, and summoning staves have unlimited range.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.