Opinions about Vampirism

#11VeezaraPosted 2/23/2013 1:48:08 PM
I'm not fond of the weakness to sunlight Fast traveling with low health can cause instant death if you arrive during the day. I'd say werewolf is the better supernatural form. It doesn't have any negative effect to the character, can fight at same strength during the day and no weakness to fire. Only downside is no rested bonus.
Being a vampire you are constantly reminded of the weakness when outside during the day. As a werewolf you don't really need to think about your beast form when fighting a a human/elf/orc/lizard/cat.
#12Gamer-Chris(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 1:55:02 PM
I don't like the idea of being an animal though. I kind of like the way my character looks as a vampire too.
---
I like video games.
#13DEV1ANTGAMERPosted 2/23/2013 2:02:21 PM(edited)
Veezara posted...
I'm not fond of the weakness to sunlight Fast traveling with low health can cause instant death if you arrive during the day. I'd say werewolf is the better supernatural form. It doesn't have any negative effect to the character, can fight at same strength during the day and no weakness to fire. Only downside is no rested bonus.
Being a vampire you are constantly reminded of the weakness when outside during the day. As a werewolf you don't really need to think about your beast form when fighting a a human/elf/orc/lizard/cat.

Sunlight causes no damage during the day in Skyrim, it only lowers your MAXIMUM health by a certain amount. If fast traveling is killing you, then something is wrong with your game as even level 1 characters have 100 health and the stage 4 penalty is only -60.
As far as the rest of the sun weakness (no regerating health/stamina/magic) that is easily remedied by enchanting or even just taking "The Lady" standing stone blessing. If you have necromage, you will be flagged as undead which will make all healing spells, alteration spells, and potions more effective on you to help with healing as well.

That all being said, the fire weakness you gain IS constant and hard to ignore. With Dawnguard, a Dark Elf can shrug it off as it becomes only 50% at stage 4 (matching their natural resistance to fire), but without Dawnguard it's 100% which means double damage from dragon fire and stuff. Again, fixable with enchanting, but more of a hassle than the health thing.

Finally, werewolf form doesn't give any penalties (aside from no rested bonus)... but it's benefits are non-existant too. It gives no boosts to any skills when you're not transformed, no new spells or perks, no good passive abilities (disease resistance is bugged against everything except vampirism), and nothing except the transformation really. The transformation in and of itself is decidedly mediocre too, as it lowers your defences considerably if you're used to wearing good armor, leaves you with no reliable way to heal or guard and no ranged attacks, unequips all your gear, and can't be "turned off" at will the way Vampire Lord form can.
#14TheeKingOsirisPosted 2/23/2013 1:59:45 PM
Definitely wait until your map is full before going vamp.

Made that mistake and ended up walking everywhere and constantly looking for a cave to duct into to hide from the sun.

I love vampire lord though, but without it? Man I don't know, it makes it so much more fun. I can't see playing as one otherwise.
---
...zzz...
#15LockeadonPosted 2/24/2013 2:12:37 AM(edited)
imo breton is better against magic than any of the races that defend against a single element. not only do they get a passive bonus against ALL of them but they can get 100% spell absorption easily with dragonskin and atronach stone. making them another way to not only deal with the fire weakness but also ALL magic affects, including destruction magic enemy shouts poison disease etc etc etc.

and the auriel's bow that you get partway through either storyline can shoot blood-drenched arrows at the sun which will eliminate all effects of the sun weakness for the rest of that day.

so if you just shoot one at the sun every morning when your powers start to fade you will be fine the rest of that day even if you go to another area or even fast travel if its still the same game-day when you get there.

on a side note vampires get a number of bonuses and powers which mostly benefit stealth (ie nightwalker 25% stealth bonus embrace of shadow sorta vampiric sight illusion 25% bonus (muffle and invis)) or crowd control (illusion 25% vampiric servant vampiric charm) and vampiric drain can help with survivability. so if you use either/both of those in your playstyle being a vampire has alot to offer you even without necromage which will of course make any vamp which is well planned that much stronger. also the vampire side has side missions which can give you rings and amulets one of which increases mana by 100 and mana regen in both forms and another increases unarmed damage in human or vamp form and also increases health by 100. both of these can be very useful especially for human form and even more so if you take necromage.
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#16VeezaraPosted 2/24/2013 5:46:25 AM
DEV1ANTGAMER posted...
Veezara posted...

Sunlight causes no damage during the day in Skyrim, it only lowers your MAXIMUM health by a certain amount. If fast traveling is killing you, then something is wrong with your game as even level 1 characters have 100 health and the stage 4 penalty is only -60.
As far as the rest of the sun weakness (no regerating health/stamina/magic) that is easily remedied by enchanting or even just taking "The Lady" standing stone blessing. If you have necromage, you will be flagged as undead which will make all healing spells, alteration spells, and potions more effective on you to help with healing as well.

That all being said, the fire weakness you gain IS constant and hard to ignore. With Dawnguard, a Dark Elf can shrug it off as it becomes only 50% at stage 4 (matching their natural resistance to fire), but without Dawnguard it's 100% which means double damage from dragon fire and stuff. Again, fixable with enchanting, but more of a hassle than the health thing.

Finally, werewolf form doesn't give any penalties (aside from no rested bonus)... but it's benefits are non-existant too. It gives no boosts to any skills when you're not transformed, no new spells or perks, no good passive abilities (disease resistance is bugged against everything except vampirism), and nothing except the transformation really. The transformation in and of itself is decidedly mediocre too, as it lowers your defences considerably if you're used to wearing good armor, leaves you with no reliable way to heal or guard and no ranged attacks, unequips all your gear, and can't be "turned off" at will the way Vampire Lord form can.

I mean if you fast travel and arrive during the day(even though it is the next day, I experianced it fast traveling from Near Harkon's cout to windhelm.) after taking heavy damage and not healing. The sun can kill you then if your level of vampirism changes during the travel.
A human during the day would usually heal automatically during a fast travel but a vampire doesn't(or at least didnt for me.) Even though night would obviously have come and gone off screen. Another way the sun can finish you off is if you take heavy damage inside a cave or building, don't heal yourself then step outside during the day.

Gamer-Chris posted...
I don't like the idea of being an animal though. I kind of like the way my character looks as a vampire too.

I thought vampires were connected to bats.
#17LockeadonPosted 2/24/2013 6:06:05 AM
Veezara posted...
DEV1ANTGAMER posted...
Veezara posted...

I mean if you fast travel and arrive during the day(even though it is the next day, I experianced it fast traveling from Near Harkon's cout to windhelm.) after taking heavy damage and not healing. The sun can kill you then if your level of vampirism changes during the travel.
A human during the day would usually heal automatically during a fast travel but a vampire doesn't(or at least didnt for me.) Even though night would obviously have come and gone off screen. Another way the sun can finish you off is if you take heavy damage inside a cave or building, don't heal yourself then step outside during the day.

Gamer-Chris posted...

I thought vampires were connected to bats.

bats wolves and mist are three three things vampires can traditionally turn in to

and again shooting the sun every morning with auriels bow and a bloodsoaked arrow will completely eliminate all sun related problems for the rest of that day even if you change areas. i dont think you even have to wait till the sun comes out
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider