Merchant perk is awesome

#1Omegaforce725Posted 2/24/2013 10:20:57 AM
I started a new character a couple weeks ago, and for the first time ever, I put points into speech and unlocked the "merchant" perk to sell any type of item to any merchant. I can't imagine not ever having this perk now. Before, previous characters I played would have difficulty making gold because I would sell out merchants so fast and get horrendously backlogged with loot just sitting in storage/inventory that I couldn't possibly sell faster than I got new loot.

Now, a quick road trip through Falkreath, Riverwood and Whiterun is usually enough to sell out all the extra loot I have while relieving all those shopkeepers the burden of a heavy coin purse. Selling any item to any merchant is an absolute godsend in this game. Now I have no trouble making money and never have to worry about which merchant accepts which type of item.

I'm just amazed because I had never even thought about investing skill points into speech before. Now, the merchant perk is a must have for any character I make. Definitely recommended to everyone regardless of what build you're running with!
---
Sig not changing until Bucs win Superbowl. Started 8/9/05
#2LockeadonPosted 2/24/2013 10:30:29 AM
it also adds new items to some shops that never appear without it.
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#3Omegaforce725(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 10:35:41 AM
Lockeadon posted...
it also adds new items to some shops that never appear without it.

Yeah I have noticed that actually. Really cool. I know this perk is common sense for some, but through my previous 3 characters I never thought to invest points into speech. This playthrough has been a whole new experience for many reasons, the merchant perk being one of them.
---
Sig not changing until Bucs win Superbowl. Started 8/9/05
#4The_nWjoePosted 2/24/2013 10:39:59 AM
Keep doing new things in this play through. Some might stink, but some may be great. At least you'll know. The replay value of this game depends on doing characters differently. Enjoy!
#5JohnRyan1228Posted 2/24/2013 10:41:36 AM
Just do the best glitch, and it will render that perk iseless

See poll
---
If I ever cared about what you had to say, I'd stick a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes.
#6thermopylaePosted 2/24/2013 10:47:46 AM
th temptation of loot and gold is everywhere.
---
The price of Victory is high, but so are the rewards.
#7FluffyKidJoePosted 2/24/2013 10:55:52 AM
I always take merchant, investor comes in handy at high levels too.
#8neithskyePosted 2/24/2013 11:03:16 AM
Omegaforce725 posted...
Before, previous characters I played would have difficulty making gold because I would sell out merchants so fast and get horrendously backlogged with loot just sitting in storage/inventory that I couldn't possibly sell faster than I got new loot.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but every time I make a new character I always start with the best intentions: "This time I'm going to manage my inventory better!"

Works for a while, but ends the same: when I have to sell I exhaust all the Whiterun merchants then stuff the remainder items into my Breezehome bedroom chest. That chest is a complete mess on each of my characters.
#9aamotPosted 2/24/2013 11:21:49 AM
I'm ashamed to admit this, but every time I make a new character I always start with the best intentions: "This time I'm going to manage my inventory better!"

Works for a while, but ends the same: when I have to sell I exhaust all the Whiterun merchants then stuff the remainder items into my Breezehome bedroom chest. That chest is a complete mess on each of my characters.

Holy crap, you're me.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#10nathraxhPosted 2/24/2013 11:25:22 AM
I almost always get this perk. Problem for me now is that I'm totally dependent on it.
---
Dwarf shortage.