Why does Skyrim freeze so much?

#11darkportal785Posted 2/24/2013 9:35:12 PM
No problems with mine.

I never have problems.
---
I am the bone of my sword. Steel is my body and fire is my blood.
#12JohnnyG118Posted 2/24/2013 9:36:51 PM
512 mbs of decade old RAM?
#13metroidman92Posted 2/24/2013 11:30:45 PM
JohnnyG118 posted...

So theoretically, the NextBox could run it much better if it has BC? Assuming it doesn't use emulation?
---
If you even think about coming after your brother, this bullet will be waiting for you!
#14Bossk791Posted 2/24/2013 11:31:55 PM
darkportal785 posted...
No problems with mine.

I never have problems.

---
Trust not the words of a poet, as he is born to seduce. Yet for poetry to seize the heart, it must ring with the chimes of truth.
#15JohnnyG118Posted 2/25/2013 8:51:38 AM
metroidman92 posted...
JohnnyG118 posted...

So theoretically, the NextBox could run it much better if it has BC? Assuming it doesn't use emulation?

Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it. A huge part of the problem is how compressed the data is; remember that a 360 disc can technically only hold 4.3 gigs of data (same a DVD), and the PC build of Skyrim is about 10 gigs. So even with more console RAM in place there are still likely to be freezes due to the console being unable to properly decode the correct processes within the specified time frame. Most lock-up freezes happen when something within the cell has changed (i.e. an enemy is spawning), or you are moving between cells. A required code string isn't found right away, other code strings continue to load and activate, and then it becomes too late - even when the correct process is found, everything else has skipped ahead too far and now it's out of sync. You can get similar crashes on a PC if you're using a lot of mods which have added all sorts of overlapping code.

Having more RAM in a next gen console will help with retrieval speed and should reduce lock up crashes, but you'll never completely eliminate the time required to decompress the files, so some freezing will still take place.
#16vigorm0rtisPosted 2/25/2013 9:00:16 AM
PimpHandofGod posted...
I'm thinking its the DLC.

This. I never had a freeze until I downloaded Dragonborn. Now I have them... not often, but I've had a few.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#17vonVolikPosted 2/25/2013 3:05:56 PM
When is it freezing?

I started to have freezing issues on load screens after I downloaded the DLC's. I have now been in the practice of clearing the cache out when I load the game. This seems to have cured my freezing problem.

To clear the cache RB + LB + "X" from as soon as I see the Besthada logo until I get the main menu.