There are serious issues with Destruction magic

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. There are serious issues with Destruction magic
3 years ago#1
Some my very well be more attributed with the mechanics of magic more than anything else, but the fact that there is still this much of a debate shows that people are unhappy. And don't even come in here with that "vocal minority" garbage that has become the white knights sword and shield. You guys trying pulling that with ME3 when everyone was actually pissed.

The problem may not be strength of the spells, but how they require you to play(which would both be fixed with the mechanics were designed differently). Playing with 75+ percent spell reduction while spamming dual cast incinerate with impact is not only boring but lame.

Magic should not be dependent on long distant spam and stuns. High powered spells should have the power to significantly hurt enemies without machine gun firing them. Other games have done magical combat way better by having animations, charge times, and cool downs to make encounters more than spam fest and designed the casting pool and damage output in a way that doesn't insist on exploits.

Everyone loves to claim they play on master with their mage but let's see a show of hands on how many of you are not dual casting and don't have any custom reduction gear? Better yet, who isn't using strictly incinerate and is using just frost magic? I've said it once and I'll say it again. Dragon Age did magic infinitely better and even Mass Effect made a satisfying system, expecting anything less from Bethesda is ridiculous.
---
"Since everybody here is deadset on not being intelligent, let me start things off."- SterlingFox
3 years ago#2
I think the fact that everyone won't shut up about Destruction is a good sign that Bethesda will make some changes in TESVI, even if I don't care.
---
Don't let the dragon drag on!
3 years ago#3
Why is everyone up in arms about this all of a sudden? I'm tired of hearing about it :(
---
"Soul of the Mind key to life's ether, Soul of the lost withdrawn from it's vessel, Let strength be granted so the world might be mended..."
3 years ago#4
Shut up and post on the official boards, then.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
3 years ago#5
Necro_Fear89 posted...
Why is everyone up in arms about this all of a sudden? I'm tired of hearing about it :(

Because there's no DLC news yet and curved sword jokes can only take you so far.
---
The Chief: "...you are also getting a new partner"
Blasto: "Are you engaging in reproductive behavior with this one?"
3 years ago#6
The issues could be fixed pretty easily by having craft-able spells based on the enchanting skill, or a new skill called spellcrafting or something. At the beginning of the game destruction is powerful enough even on master, but it does not keep up with other skills because there are not enough perks to increase the damage output.
3 years ago#7
Necro_Fear89 posted...

Maybe lots of people are playing Destruction mages lately.

I don't know.
3 years ago#8
I just don't see how people are okay with abusing stunlock and spamming incinerate with 0 cost gear on. I have a mage with about 80 hours on it and it becomes so boring and unsatisfying, but without the gear you can't cast enough, and the stun is literally there to compensate for the lack of power.

Any kind of spamming is lame, and the game should not require you to do so. If the shouts had slightly tweaked cooldowns I would rather use them then the actual magic since they are way more balanced. All they would need is a small boost to fire and frost breath and a damage boost to soul tear.
---
This message has been brought to you from my Galaxy Nexus
3 years ago#9
INFRARED PYTHON posted...
I just don't see how people are okay with abusing stunlock and spamming incinerate with 0 cost gear on. I have a mage with about 80 hours on it and it becomes so boring and unsatisfying, but without the year you can't cast enough, and the stun is literally there to compensate for the lack of power.

Any kind of spamming is lame, the game should require you to do so. If the shouts had slightly tweaked cooldowns I would rather use them then the actual magic since they are way more balanced. All they would need is a small boost to fire and frost breath and a damage boost to soul tear.

I feel the same way about smithed+enchanted weapons...... Hell even bound bow with enchantments. Cause man it sure is fun 1-5 shotting everything....if your 5 with ADHD.
3 years ago#10
I feel like you've ignored the other aspects of the magic system in this game. Going pure destruction in a game you already knew had limited damage output seems like a bad idea. Perhaps Bethesda wanted to differentiate from other types of games, forcing the player to rely on more than purely nuking things?

The same could be said for melee, stealth or archery: focusing on one type of offensive tactic will always become tedious. How exactly is increasing damage for a swing of an axe, sword, hammer or dagger any more fun? You are processing roughly the same animations hundreds of times with very little difference in outcomes except how quickly it is over. Sneaking through an area undetected over and over and stealth killing everything gets boring fast. Nocking an arrow and witnessing the same horrible physics engine simulate an arrow being fired gets boring (you cant even pin people to trees or the ground). The entire game gets boring after investing enough time into it; it can only stay fresh for so long.

At least with magic you can summon, reanimate, paralyze, fear, calm, blanket yourself in elements, conjure weapons and shoot elements of any combination at your enemies. Sword and board gets old fast and one hitting everything only speeds that up. The only problem with magic is the cost of spells, which you can alleviate to a degree but it really forces you to pick and choose the enchantments or make different sets of gear and swap mid-fight.
---
"Miracles by their definition are meaningless, only what can happen does happen."
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. There are serious issues with Destruction magic

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived