There are serious issues with Destruction magic

#11DetectivPenguinPosted 2/26/2013 8:52:31 AM
Am I missing something? Isn't this a single player game? Who cares if one ability is OP or UP for that matter if you don't like it don't use it? Whats the problem?
---
http://i.imgur.com/fyPeQ.jpg
That's Pennington, a train passenger. He SAYS he's a detective, but I don't know.. THANK YOU mariolover2 for the sig!
#12LatronisPosted 2/26/2013 8:57:36 AM
DetectivPenguin posted...
Am I missing something? Isn't this a single player game? Who cares if one ability is OP or UP for that matter if you don't like it don't use it? Whats the problem?

http://i.qkme.me/36eamv.jpg
---
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o160/The_Original_Latronis/33865d18.jpg
#13vigorm0rtisPosted 2/26/2013 8:57:41 AM
INFRARED PYTHON posted...
I just don't see how people are okay with abusing stunlock and spamming incinerate with 0 cost gear on..

To be fair, 'spamming' takes place in all games, it just doesn't feel egregious if it's fun. Destruction magic isn't much fun.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#14Erroneous_SnakePosted 2/26/2013 9:05:00 AM
shibulator posted...

At least with magic you can summon, reanimate, paralyze, fear, calm, blanket yourself in elements, conjure weapons and shoot elements of any combination at your enemies. Sword and board gets old fast and one hitting everything only speeds that up. The only problem with magic is the cost of spells, which you can alleviate to a degree but it really forces you to pick and choose the enchantments or make different sets of gear and swap mid-fight.

These all are things that are done way better in different games and don't make up for the fact that destruction itself needs to be completely redone. This is all just essentially avoiding the issue.

Paralyzing an enemy adds nothing when there is already stunlock, summoning a dremora so you can watch him slowly walk to your bandit before whacking him doesn't improve destruction. Conjuring weaker versions of daedric weapons doesn't add anything to destruction. Are you catching on now or should I continue?
---
This message has been brought to you from my Galaxy Nexus
#15LinkLuigiPosted 2/26/2013 9:25:33 AM
I don't see why we need three of these at once.
#16Akiba69Posted 2/26/2013 9:34:15 AM
Magic in general in Skyrim was bad.
#17RikashiPosted 2/26/2013 9:48:34 AM
DetectivPenguin posted...

Who cares if things in games are incredibly underpowered and not fun at all right? It's just a single player game after all.
#18turn_basedPosted 2/26/2013 10:09:06 AM
1. Playing any one style in Skyrim can get boring, whether 2-handed, bow, or fireball.

2. Destruction has a good range advantage over melee, shooting a fireball with 150 damage with a 15 foot radius from 100 yards away is a little unbalanced, ain't it?

3. What Elderscroll game didn't give one playstyle the shaft or favor another? Mages kinda stunk in Morrowind, melee squashed everything. Stealth kinda stunk in Oblivion, but mages had paralyze and regenerating magika. Stealth steamrolls Skyrim and mages get handcuffed again. To balance all 3 perfectly would be a zen thing, a pipe dream really.

Me? I have to mix it up with most of my characters 'cause combat is boring if you don't. Sorry, kill-cams doesn't make it 'more funner.'

I just wish enemies levelled higher and had access to half the abilities I have.
:1
#19shibulatorPosted 2/26/2013 10:34:45 AM
INFRARED PYTHON posted...
shibulator posted...

At least with magic you can summon, reanimate, paralyze, fear, calm, blanket yourself in elements, conjure weapons and shoot elements of any combination at your enemies. Sword and board gets old fast and one hitting everything only speeds that up. The only problem with magic is the cost of spells, which you can alleviate to a degree but it really forces you to pick and choose the enchantments or make different sets of gear and swap mid-fight.

These all are things that are done way better in different games and don't make up for the fact that destruction itself needs to be completely redone. This is all just essentially avoiding the issue.

Paralyzing an enemy adds nothing when there is already stunlock, summoning a dremora so you can watch him slowly walk to your bandit before whacking him doesn't improve destruction. Conjuring weaker versions of daedric weapons doesn't add anything to destruction. Are you catching on now or should I continue?

Let me ask you a simple question: What EXACTLY would make destruction better?

Would it be 1 shot kills like what melee and stealth eventually evolve into? OR would it be 2 shot kill? 3 shot? Where is exactly is the PERFECT amount of casts required to kill something?

Does combining destruction with two dead thralls (of any skill combination/equipment layout) and a paralyze spell really sound boring?

Clearly, Bethesda didn't want mages running around with super nukes killing everything instantly the moment a person sees it. Why would they copy what happens in every other RPG with magic? Why does every theme in fantasy/magic based game have to converge into the same mediocre crap that's on the market?
---
"Miracles by their definition are meaningless, only what can happen does happen."
#20ShockWav3(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 7:21:53 PM
Bump for justice.
---
"Since everybody here is deadset on not being intelligent, let me start things off."- SterlingFox