What if they did away with the Lockpicking skill?

#1HoonDingPosted 2/26/2013 10:57:47 AM
I've made this exact topic in the past, but considering how many times we go through Destruction magic and the Civil War, I don't think it's unfair to repost this.

The minigame's difficulty can based solely on the level of the lock. Maybe we can even bring back lockpicks of varying qualities (novice lockpick, journeyman's lockpick, etc.). And for other character types, we could bring back Open spells, and even the ancient art of bashing a locked door until it opens from Daggerfall.

Lockpicking, as it is, isn't exactly something worthy of an entire perk tree, and I'm not sure how they could really flesh it out compared to other skills. I'd much rather just see more alternatives to opening locked doors that don't involve a lockpicking skill. I mean, how many lockpicking perks are worth the perks it takes to reach them?

Maybe even Pickpocket should be absorbed back into the Sneak skill. There would still be pickpocket relevant perks, of course (who doesn't love literally stealing the shirt off of a guard's back?), but it would all be dependent on the Sneak skill.

This is of course assuming they get replaced with more worthwhile skills, like Acrobatics+Athletics, or Unarmed.
---
Don't let the dragon drag on!
#2RikashiPosted 2/26/2013 11:00:42 AM
I'd rather see them expand the skill and give it other uses, like setting or disabling traps.
#3SchraiberPosted 2/26/2013 11:02:36 AM

And for other character types, we could bring back Open spells, and even the ancient art of bashing a locked door until it opens from Daggerfall.

I definitely like the rest of your post but this is ABSOLUTELY essential. It's totally immersion-breaking when my warrior brute has to pick a lock to make sure he gets all the goodies in a dungeon.
---
\m/LOVEFUL WAVES\m/
AIM: Dudely Snake
#4DarkSeraphMPosted 2/26/2013 11:12:03 AM
Agreed. I don't know a single Skyrim player that puts perks into Lockpicking. Hell, one good enchantment and you don't even have to play the mini-game anymore. I have no idea why they got rid of the Open spell, and I would even like a Lock spell so I can RP locking my s*** up behind me. A pure mage carrying lockpicks just doesn't make sense to me.
---
Hey there, sweetroll; I just cast Oakflesh... if you know what I mean.
#5konokonohamaruPosted 2/26/2013 11:15:34 AM
Two skill tree ideas to replace Lockpicking:

Mechanics
-- lockpicking gets easier as you level up
-- perks that allow crafting and setting of traps, increase effectiveness of traps

Thievery
-- consolidates pickpocket and lockpicking
-- allows for another skill tree (acrobatics perhaps?)
#6turn_basedPosted 2/26/2013 11:18:52 AM
Rikashi posted...
I'd rather see them expand the skill and give it other uses, like setting or disabling traps.

Totally!

And yes to the 'bring back the Lock spell!' That would be hilarious.

I think pickpocketing is a fun tree, but to be seen by everyone else while being unseen by your mark is really broken. Stealth needs to be applied to the detection/crime report mechanic.
#7niko-mp3Posted 2/26/2013 11:28:04 AM(edited)
I actually use it on a few characters with no shame maybe for RP or because I neglected it in the past. Some characters seem 'overdone?' on perks so I don't mind spending the final few on lock picking. Or if you go to prison a lot the unbreakable perk can be useful. One way to make the perk more worthwhile would be to have the chance of a rare item or the value of what is in a chest decrease based on how many picks it took you to open it.

Also I haven't done it in a while but you can break some locks with frost spells.
#8Necro_Fear89Posted 2/26/2013 12:01:34 PM
I want them to improve on it not remove it completely, make me want to play as a character with lockpicking skills. I would also love it if pickpocketing would be improved, instead of it completely freezing the world around you have it be realistic as you actually have to target say a person carrying their coin pouch around their waist. Target the pouch, slowly walk up to the target and try to reach for it while remaining out of view, stealth and pickpocket skills all come into play.

I find it silly how I can enter an NPC's inventory, go make a sandwich IRL, leave the game on, then come back and take off all their clothes and weapons and them not realize a freaking thing or realize that they are nude.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble about something else lol
---
"Soul of the Mind key to life's ether, Soul of the lost withdrawn from it's vessel, Let strength be granted so the world might be mended..."
#9nathraxhPosted 2/26/2013 12:04:47 PM
Schraiber posted...

And for other character types, we could bring back Open spells, and even the ancient art of bashing a locked door until it opens from Daggerfall.

I definitely like the rest of your post but this is ABSOLUTELY essential. It's totally immersion-breaking when my warrior brute has to pick a lock to make sure he gets all the goodies in a dungeon.

A-goddamned-men.

A flimsy wooden door, and my giant Orc can't smash through it with his head? Either remove the skill completely, or provide alternatives for warriors and mages to open locks without using lockpicks (open spells for mages, brute force for warriors).
---
Dwarf shortage.
#10MetalJ471Posted 2/26/2013 12:17:15 PM
If they did away with lockpicking i'd like them to add the ability to just smash open doors and locked boxes for those of us with all the tact and subtlety of a sledgehammer , those of us that love whatever blunt object we carry and call a weapon (please note that was NOT a wang joke)
---
I have 0 friends on facebook