So, how fun is the "Magic Tank" class? Shield + Destruction?

#11HoonDingPosted 2/28/2013 9:46:00 AM
Lotta people who haven't even tried spellshield builds ITT, making some mad assumptions. It's my favorite character build.
---
Don't let the dragon drag on!
#12turn_basedPosted 2/28/2013 9:57:58 AM
VOLCOM333 posted...
Quick question, i was going to try this, but hot keys auto swap to your left hand and remove your shield. Any way to avoid this?

Keep your primary attack spell in your right hand and hotkey your shield and another spell or potion to your left. You cant hotkey your right hand really, it's a wee bit broken.

For me, at least.
#13shibulatorPosted 2/28/2013 10:11:02 AM
This class is what made me wish there was second tier version of frost cloak.
---
"Miracles by their definition are meaningless, only what can happen does happen."
#14Evil_SandwichPosted 2/28/2013 10:25:07 AM(edited)
Try using Ignite in one hand and Spellbreaker in the other.

And get Whirlwind Cloak too it's the best cloak spell in the game cuz it has a chance to knockdown enemies who get too close.
#15Spinder1Posted 2/28/2013 10:25:01 AM
^Ignite is definitely a good idea for a build like this. It doesn't have to be the game-breaking AoT-boosted version... the regular one is cost-efficient, powerful and can be spammed virtually non-stop with a decent set-up. It allows you to actually fight much like those pesky enemy mages, running around at high speeds to dodge attacks while launching nonstop projectiles. If they can do it, I say it's only fair that you can too, but using Ignite is a more fun way than 100% reduction and accompanying untouchability.

I'd make Ignite my main offensive spell, Freeze against fire immunities and MT spells thrown in where appropriate. I think it would be a fun build if you use Ignite, to avoid the frustrating issue of over-expensive spells.
---
Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat. Let him be the king of ashes
#16BigRobb2389Posted 3/1/2013 7:41:17 AM
Ignite would be amazing for this build. I wish it was around when I did my sorcerer.

With the upped survivability compared to a spellsword, you can last longer and give that DoT some chance to take hold. Whereas with a spellsword, you may need that upfront damage, I call it impact damage, lol. just damage done by going all out in offense, you want to leave a big enough impact to carry you throughout the fight. haha. i just made that up.

I wasn't there for ignite, so whirlwind cloak wasn't an option either. But i'm not quite sold on that. You have a few ways to disorient your opponent with just your shield. In tough areas, it certainly wouldn't hurt, as it probably is the best cloak, but I think for general use, you are better off with just damage, an elemental cloak, you have your shield there to control the enemy.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/BigRobb/