Any chance of a magic sneak-attack bonus being patched in?

#1fatclemenzaPosted 2/27/2013 3:42:43 PM
It seems pointless to have the Quiet Casting perk when you still need a half-dozen spells to hit one guy for a kill. An Ice Spike to the spinal cord should hurt just as much as an arrow, right?

The closest you can get to a stealth mage is Bound Sword (or Bound Dagger if you have Dragonborn), but your low One-Handed skill would hold back the assassination damage.
---
He's a well respected man about town,
Doing the best things so conservatively
#2LockeadonPosted 2/27/2013 3:53:58 PM
it would also be nice if you could use magic and shouts/powers on horseback like you can melee and bows

not only cause it forces mages to use other methods if they want to accomplish anything on horseback whether its attacking or buffing or anything, but also because of the hopelessly idiotic mount ai in this game. horses go charging off to battle like melee followers and sometimes (usually) charge off on their own and die if you get off them during combat or after running away.

just to illustrate in case anyone doesn't know, one time i rode by that one place with a crap ton of mages and firetraps everywhere and one of the mages chased me a short distance and gave up. i got off my horse to go kill them and it immediately charged off to that camp and died in about 5 seconds from all the mages hitting it at once and the firetraps. which it ran right into.
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#3LockeadonPosted 2/27/2013 4:01:10 PM
fatclemenza posted...
It seems pointless to have the Quiet Casting perk when you still need a half-dozen spells to hit one guy for a kill. An Ice Spike to the spinal cord should hurt just as much as an arrow, right?

The closest you can get to a stealth mage is Bound Sword (or Bound Dagger if you have Dragonborn), but your low One-Handed skill would hold back the assassination damage.

why would a mage have to have a low one-handed skill? all of my mages tend to have quite high skills in either one handed or archery (cause poisons)
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#4NicodaemosPosted 2/27/2013 4:07:53 PM
it would also be nice if you could use magic and shouts/powers on horseback like you can melee and bows

not only cause it forces mages to use other methods if they want to accomplish anything on horseback whether its attacking or buffing or anything, but also because of the hopelessly idiotic mount ai in this game. horses go charging off to battle like melee followers and sometimes (usually) charge off on their own and die if you get off them during combat or after running away.

just to illustrate in case anyone doesn't know, one time i rode by that one place with a crap ton of mages and firetraps everywhere and one of the mages chased me a short distance and gave up. i got off my horse to go kill them and it immediately charged off to that camp and died in about 5 seconds from all the mages hitting it at once and the firetraps. which it ran right into.

lol horses.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#5fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2013 4:09:05 PM
why would a mage have to have a low one-handed skill? all of my mages tend to have quite high skills in either one handed or archery (cause poisons)

Because my pure mage character hasn't wielded a sword (or any weapon) in combat yet in 42 levels.
---
#6GodSpark127Posted 2/27/2013 4:11:45 PM
fatclemenza posted...

Because my pure mage character hasn't wielded a sword (or any weapon) in combat yet in 42 levels.

Yeah, at this point those limp wrists and weak fingers are just as likely to break as the skin of the thing you are stabbing.
---
You're in the topic. Topic is in the forum. Troll is in the forum.
#7DougymcPosted 2/27/2013 4:43:39 PM
fatclemenza posted...

I would say the closest you can get to stealth mage is with the illusion spells. That said, I would love to see some kind of bonus to magic sneak attacks.
#8thekosmicfool part 2Posted 2/27/2013 5:36:02 PM
How about some magical stealth kills where you sneak up behind people and freeze their heads and then break 'em off, or pump electricity into their heads until they die, or burn their heads into a cinder before they even have a chance to scream?

In other words, flat out Mortal Kombat fatalities.
---
gfaqs9...Never forget. Never forget.
#9nytecrawlaPosted 2/27/2013 5:42:30 PM
No, sneak attack is for sneak attacking characters, not mages. Destruction magic is loud, flashy and in your face. You wanna be a sneaky mage, use illusion spells.
---
Well don't that just beat all?
#10fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2013 6:30:35 PM
Destruction magic is loud, flashy and in your face.

Yet I can cast 46 Thunderbolts at a wall and have nobody hear it via Quiet Casting...
---