Every time I play Skyrim, I find myself going back to Morrowind or Oblivion.

#1Tbon110Posted 3/6/2013 12:27:34 PM
I don't know what it is, but I can't bring myself to play Skyrim for an extended period of time anymore. The whole lack of character customization and less gameplay options overall compared to the last two titles really gets me down. Sure, combat is as clunky in the other two as it is in Skyrim, but I just have more fun with them. Has anyone else become disillusioned with Skyrim lately?
---
The greatest evil is the indifference of good men.
#2LEGEND_725Posted 3/6/2013 12:30:06 PM
I don't think Skyrim's combat is "clunky" at all. It's just not that deep. What is actually there feels responsive and crisp. The game just needs enemies with more interesting mechanics besides block and attack. Or spam dual wield.
---
RIP Gamespot 5/21/09 - 5/8/12. . .
#3gunsndrosesPosted 3/6/2013 12:41:27 PM
It's funny; every time I play Morrowind, I find myself going back to Oblivion; every time I play Skyrim, I'm indifferent. And I have been playing Daggerfall/Morrowind/Oblivion a lot lately.
---
World at War was the best CoD.
#4Necro_Fear89Posted 3/6/2013 12:49:20 PM
I would love a dodge mechanic, it would really add some strategy to the combat other than have a crapload of armor rating and sponge all the attacks. Even if it's just a back-step animation to avoid hits or a roll or a dodge.
---
Soul of the Mind key to life's ether, Soul of the lost withdrawn from it's vessel, Let strength be granted so the world might be mended- Maiden in Black
#5DougymcPosted 3/6/2013 12:53:12 PM
I am the other way around. I will play Oblivion for a bit, but always end up coming back to Skyrim. I started with Skyrim, though. I still haven't played Morrowind.
#6KoRiy5000Posted 3/6/2013 1:04:02 PM
Necro_Fear89 posted...
I would love a dodge mechanic, it would really add some strategy to the combat other than have a crapload of armor rating and sponge all the attacks. Even if it's just a back-step animation to avoid hits or a roll or a dodge.

THIS! i want to make an agile warrior (brad pitt in Troy) not just a big tank
#7Jakobs_FodderPosted 3/6/2013 1:23:19 PM
Why Oblivion? Just curious.
I found I could not wait to 100% it. The addition of shivering isles made it more bearable however....
---
The official Sheogorath of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
The right and Righteous hand of Whatnos
#8gunsndrosesPosted 3/6/2013 1:35:34 PM
Jakobs_Fodder posted...
I found I could not wait to 100% it. The addition of shivering isles made it more bearable however....

Because the world was warm and welcoming; the guild questlines didn't suck; spellmaking allowed for infinite replayability as a mage; the game was just awesome.
---
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings.
#9KoRiy5000Posted 3/6/2013 1:38:24 PM
gunsndroses posted...
Jakobs_Fodder posted...

Because the world was warm and welcoming; the guild questlines didn't suck; spellmaking allowed for infinite replayability as a mage; the game was just awesome.

i found oblivion way to bright and shiny for my tastes. after playing fallout 3, which has a lot of adult themed quest/language, i found it hard to go back to the happy land of cyrodil
#10yediPosted 3/6/2013 1:41:35 PM
For me, the exploration music in Oblivion was just so... soothing... It really was the perfect music to just explore the woodlands and hillsides to. Skyrim's music is certainly awesome, but I just enjoy Oblivions "wander around while accomplishing absolutely NOTHING" music that much more. That, and not getting mauled by trolling dragons who pew pew fire at you then fly away so you can't kill them every 5 minutes made exploration that much more pleasant, even if there was nothing out there to find but a pretty location to look at. I still find myself loading up Oblivion every now and again, warping to a gate of the Imperial City, close my eyes, place a random marker somewhere on the map and then walk to said marker, exploring all the nooks and crannies as I worked my way there.

Skyrim hinders travel like this by shoving mountains and cliffs in the way EVERYWHERE, so the only way to traverse much of the map is by road, and that's ****ing boring.

That, and the character creation engine was way less restrictive, so I could actually make the character I wanted to(visually), not the character Beth considered "close enough". I know it wasn't the easiest system to work with, what with the moving sliders and all, but still, when I was finished making a character, however long it took, that character was my creation, and that connection kept me interested in that character far longer than Skyrims generic races that leave you, no matter what you do or how long you spend tweaking the sliders, looking just like every NPC of whatever race you picked in the game. I made damn sexy looking wood elves with the vanilla Oblivion editor, and no amount of wannabe anorexic Klingon elves from Skyrim are going to make me feel better about Beth throwing the Oblivion editor under the bus(especially after Fallout 3 added things like proper beards, better face textures and other awesome details into the editor) and instead ran off and ripped off the Bioware "pick your part" system >:\
---
XBL: rune yedi WII:7327 0713 1219 5379 PS3: yedi
yedi.deviantart.com