Every time I play Skyrim, I find myself going back to Morrowind or Oblivion.

#11masterdave81Posted 3/6/2013 1:53:41 PM
I'm actually the opposite. I have become more immersed in Skyrim during my current playthrough. I still love Morrowind, but I recognize what it lacks and what it does well. Oblivion did have good guilds, which is one of Skyrim's biggest weaknesses, but the way the level scaling worked in Oblivion killed the experience for me. I despise having unique items be scaled to my level (random loot is fine). Thankfully Skyrim only has a few leveled unique items that I can work around.
#12JINJ0Posted 3/6/2013 2:44:54 PM
Hard to go back to games I already dumped several hundred (if not thousands) of hours into. There's no replayability for me at that point. New Vegas is entertaining me currently anyway. F*** the Legion! Until my next playthrough...
---
../--~~,~~--,:~|
JINJO!!!.........\O_/_O_,/:::::|....
#13DarkSeraphMPosted 3/6/2013 2:47:28 PM
Every time I play Morrowind or Oblivion, I find myself going back to Skyrim.
---
Hey there, sweetroll; I just cast Oakflesh... if you know what I mean.
#14DarkSeraphMPosted 3/6/2013 2:49:32 PM
yedi posted...
...damn sexy looking... the vanilla Oblivion editor...

Bulls***. There is no such thing as a good-looking vanilla Oblivion character. Prove me wrong.
---
#15JINJ0Posted 3/6/2013 2:55:37 PM
DarkSeraphM posted...
yedi posted...

Bulls***. There is no such thing as a good-looking vanilla Oblivion character. Prove me wrong.

It's definitely possible, but it requires either intimate knowledge of how the sliders work or obscene time investment to pull it off. Considering you'll only see that character's face from the menu or when you decide to critique your pretty-pretty dress-up choices, wellll, it's probably not going to matter when you're staring every NPC right in the plaster cast excuses for faces they have. Still, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas seem to use a more conservative version of character creation based around Oblivion's; in fact, I think it's pretty much the same just with a much stronger "ugly filter".
---
../--~~,~~--,:~|
JINJO!!!.........\O_/_O_,/:::::|....
#16Justin2KrelianPosted 3/6/2013 2:59:00 PM
yedi posted...
For me, the exploration music in Oblivion was just so... soothing... It really was the perfect music to just explore the woodlands and hillsides to. Skyrim's music is certainly awesome, but I just enjoy Oblivions "wander around while accomplishing absolutely NOTHING" music that much more. That, and not getting mauled by trolling dragons who pew pew fire at you then fly away so you can't kill them every 5 minutes made exploration that much more pleasant, even if there was nothing out there to find but a pretty location to look at. I still find myself loading up Oblivion every now and again, warping to a gate of the Imperial City, close my eyes, place a random marker somewhere on the map and then walk to said marker, exploring all the nooks and crannies as I worked my way there.

I think Oblvion's music may be a bit more melodic, but Skyrim's is still great for atmospheric purposes. I would say Morrowind actually has the weakest track out of TES 2-5.
#17yediPosted 3/8/2013 8:17:40 AM
DarkSeraphM posted...
yedi posted...

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1345/obv1.jpg
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7731/obv3.jpg

Did this a few days ago in 45 minutes of fiddling with the editor to prove that you can actually turn the shaved monkeys of Oblivion into decent human beings. Not my best work(those are sadly stuck on my now dead Fatbox360 elite), and my camera on my phone sucks at recording off a screen so the contrast is a little crazy. I could probably make some better ones if further proof is still needed.

Also note, NO, I did not photoshop her face smooth. I used the (hopefully still) well known forehead trick to snap the skin texture back to its cleaner higher resolution rendering. Because I won't argue that the low-res player-character skin texture is a blotchy ugly mess.
---
XBL: rune yedi WII:7327 0713 1219 5379 PS3: yedi
yedi.deviantart.com
#18DarkSeraphMPosted 3/8/2013 8:35:21 AM
yedi posted...
DarkSeraphM posted...
yedi posted...

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1345/obv1.jpg
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7731/obv3.jpg

Did this a few days ago in 45 minutes of fiddling with the editor to prove that you can actually turn the shaved monkeys of Oblivion into decent human beings. Not my best work(those are sadly stuck on my now dead Fatbox360 elite), and my camera on my phone sucks at recording off a screen so the contrast is a little crazy. I could probably make some better ones if further proof is still needed.

Also note, NO, I did not photoshop her face smooth. I used the (hopefully still) well known forehead trick to snap the skin texture back to its cleaner higher resolution rendering. Because I won't argue that the low-res player-character skin texture is a blotchy ugly mess.

Hmm. Okay, I'll concede. Those look pretty good. Is she a Bosmer?
---
#19yediPosted 3/8/2013 8:37:30 AM
Wood elf, actually :P
---
XBL: rune yedi WII:7327 0713 1219 5379 PS3: yedi
yedi.deviantart.com
#20HabefietPosted 3/8/2013 8:37:31 AM
gunsndroses posted...
Jakobs_Fodder posted...
Why Oblivion? Just curious.
I found I could not wait to 100% it. The addition of shivering isles made it more bearable however....

Because the world was warm and welcoming; the guild questlines didn't all suck quite as bad as Skyrim's; spellmaking allowed for infinite replayability as a mage; the game was just awesome.

FTFY

Be honest, the Fighter's Guild and Mage's Guild were horrendous in Oblivion too and the Dark Brotherhood got substantially less interesting once you hit the "dead drops" phase. I mean yeah FG and MG were better than Companions/CoW... but they still blew.