Is there any fix for the Dragon Soul glitch?

#1TrialZero654Posted 3/8/2013 3:04:54 PM
im referring to the one where sometimes, for no apparent reason, when you kill a dragon you are unable to absorb its soul, nothing happens, the dragon simply just never starts "melting" and you never get a soul

i've read this glitch can be caused by either killing a dragon too quickly (like 1-shot with a super weapon) or by killing it with a soul trap weapon, both of which are things i always avoid when fighting dragons, most of the time taking several minutes to kill one just to drag out the epic fight

this doesn't happen every single time, but it certainly happens VERY often, i would say at least 40-50% of all the dragon's i've killed so far have failed to yield a soul upon death, and i am at a loss on how to prevent this from happening

it's especially annoying since i only have about a half dozen shouts learned with MANY more to go and this glitch is slowing down that process considerably, not to mention making it very inconvenient if i decide to "respec"
---
"Our glory and our downfall. Embrace the terrible risks of war; drive home the spear." - A Talent For War
GT: Trialzero
#2h3IIfir3pho3nixPosted 3/8/2013 3:45:02 PM
I always thought that if it was a dragon that sits at a specific spot, you can only get it's soul once (for example Ancient's Ascent), but if it was a random encounter dragon you would always get their soul.
---
"At least Harbinger came up with his own catchphrase. Obama has to steal his from Bob the builder." -iamdanthaman
#3DarkSeraphMPosted 3/8/2013 3:47:11 PM
I never encountered this glitch very often, but when I did, it was always in the area where all the hot springs & geysers are. Every single time, without fail, if I killed a dragon in this area of the map, it would never give me a soul.

On another note, I always got souls from dragons at word walls, even if I'd already killed them several times before.
---
Hey there, sweetroll; I just cast Oakflesh... if you know what I mean.
#4IamI3rianPosted 3/8/2013 9:39:56 PM
The way this works:

Oh look, it's <whatever> word wall. There's a dragon, lemme kill it and take its soul.

*happens with no problem*

One month later:

Oh look, it's <whatever> word wall again. There' a frost dragon, lemme kill it and take its soul.

*happens with no problem*

One month later:

Oh look, It's <whatever> word wall a third time. There's a frost dragon, lemme kill it and take its soul.

Nothing happened? Must be a glitch.

Also DS that hot springs dragon is the one from Bonestrewn Crest. = )

So yeah. Different level of dragon at a word wall will give you a soul... Once you've killed that type of dragon at that word wall, no more soul. Random ones are random, and as a result will always give a dragon soul.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya.
Enemy MCC's shields at 50%
#5TrialZero654(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 3:02:00 AM
that makes sense to me, and MAYBE 1-2 of my lost dragon souls can be explained that way, but i have never purposefully gone to any specific word wall just looking for a dragon to kill, every single time this glitch has happened to me, it was just a random dragon encounter while i was out exploring

if this glitch only happened in those circumstances where you kill the same of a certain type of dragon at a certain type of word wall, i would hardly ever see it, or at the very least, i wouldn't see it NEARLY as often as i have,

because i was literally just out exploring the world, attempting to fill in all the undiscovered areas on my map, and i almost always never re-visit an area marked "Cleared" on the world map unless i need to for a quest or something

i will say that it SEEMS to happen to me more often in Solstheim than in Skyrim, but whether thats the case or not, it still does happen everywhere, with seemingly any kind of dragon encounter
---
"Our glory and our downfall. Embrace the terrible risks of war; drive home the spear." - A Talent For War
GT: Trialzero
#6IamI3rianPosted 3/9/2013 3:04:31 AM
Cannot comment on Solstheim, but I know that in Skyrim word wall dragons often go out 'patrolling/hunting' their territory. More than a few times I'd wager the 'random' encounters were word wall dragons.

As I said, in the Rift the dragon that you fight there is pretty much always Bonestrewn Crest's resident lizard.
---
#7JeffDudeLPosted 3/9/2013 3:15:27 AM
Hey Brian, strange request for you buddy......... Can you study the ancient art of Vulcan Mind Melding and give all your TES:Skyrim knowledge to me? thanks bud : )
---
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
http://i.imgur.com/dEL6l.gif
#8IamI3rianPosted 3/9/2013 3:16:45 AM
I'll leave you my Katra when I die, how's that. = )
---
#9JeffDudeLPosted 3/9/2013 3:53:09 AM
IamI3rian posted...
I'll leave you my Katra when I die, how's that. = )

: ) awww thanks.
*hides in the bushes outside with his Deadra Bow Of Souls at the ready*
lol
---
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
http://i.imgur.com/dEL6l.gif