Spell Absorption 100% in latest patch

#1jimmyoneshotPosted 3/9/2013 11:50:56 AM
I'm currently working on a spellsword character and one of my aims was to get him to resist/absorb magic as much as possible.

I'm now reading however that to do this you need to get both the atronach perk and stone as well as the necromage perk and become a vampire. The problem is I've also read that you must become a vampire BEFORE taking the atronach perk and stone otherwise it's impossible to get 100% absorption but I already have the atronach perk unfortunately.

Is there any way around this in vanilla skyrim? I've heard that this shouldn't matter because the spell absorption cap has been adjusted to 80% after the latest patch, is this true, if so it wouldn't really matter about me taking the perk anyway.

It seems to me the necromage thing was a bug in the first place similar to the restoation potion trick
#2theonyxphoenixPosted 3/9/2013 12:00:46 PM
drink a fortify destruction potion before taking the stone and/or perk to increase the absorption by X%. When taking the perk, it is permanent. WIth the stone, it lasts until another stone is chosen.
#3jimmyoneshot(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 12:05:19 PM
But what about the other effects for example I know that it should increase the power of enchantments i.e. armor with 30% enchantment should increase to 37% or something?
#4theonyxphoenixPosted 3/9/2013 12:07:53 PM
Necromage increases many things by 25%. Enchantments are increase, potion potency is increase, as well as some abilities and perks (specified in the Useful info Sticky). Necromage Vampires can have the potential to be the most powerful characters, but only if you don't mind being a vampire.
#5jimmyoneshot(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 12:12:19 PM
theonyxphoenix posted...
Necromage increases many things by 25%. Enchantments are increase, potion potency is increase, as well as some abilities and perks (specified in the Useful info Sticky). Necromage Vampires can have the potential to be the most powerful characters, but only if you don't mind being a vampire.

Ah right cool thanks. So that fortify destruction potion trick you listed is a definite way of getting past the fact that I've taken the atronach perk before becoming a vampire by mistake?

So at the moment I am wearing a ring which has an enchantment "Destruction spells cost 29% less to cast", should this become 30+% after I become a vampire if I have necromage?
#6messy_mikeyPosted 3/9/2013 12:14:55 PM
jimmyoneshot posted...
theonyxphoenix posted...

Ah right cool thanks. So that fortify destruction potion trick you listed is a definite way of getting past the fact that I've taken the atronach perk before becoming a vampire by mistake?

So at the moment I am wearing a ring which has an enchantment "Destruction spells cost 29% less to cast", should this become 30+% after I become a vampire if I have necromage?

Yes, if you drink a Fortify Destruction potion and take the stone, you can get absorption all the way up to 100% if your potion magnitude is strong enough. Just be aware the other aspects of the stone are magnified too, so you'll get additional extra Magicka and have an even larger penalty to Magicka regen.

And yes, if you become a Necrovamp, the enchantment on the ring will become 36% (29*1.25, Skyrim rounds down).
---
GT: Messy Mike M92
Sniperless Infiltrator since '07
#7jimmyoneshot(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 12:23:22 PM
messy_mikey posted...
jimmyoneshot posted...
theonyxphoenix posted...

Yes, if you drink a Fortify Destruction potion and take the stone, you can get absorption all the way up to 100% if your potion magnitude is strong enough. Just be aware the other aspects of the stone are magnified too, so you'll get additional extra Magicka and have an even larger penalty to Magicka regen.

And yes, if you become a Necrovamp, the enchantment on the ring will become 36% (29*1.25, Skyrim rounds down).

Aw crap I think I'll avoid that if it also increases negative effects. It seems like a bug to me too.

ALSO Has this definitely not been patched? I've just done a test by becoming a vampire and taking the necromage perk and the enchantments on all my gear are still the same percentage. The ring I mentioned earlier for example still only fortifies destruction by 29%
#8Cast_SupremacyPosted 3/9/2013 12:39:27 PM
Oh, 1.9 is capping spell absorption at 80%?
#9jimmyoneshot(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 12:43:12 PM
Cast_Supremacy posted...
Oh, 1.9 is capping spell absorption at 80%?

I'm not sure about that but I certaibly don't seem to be getting any enchantment or potion benefits as a vampire with the necromage perk.

I 'll do a test now by crafting a fortify destruction spell and then taking the atronach stone. I'll post results soon
#10Mick65Posted 3/9/2013 12:50:35 PM
The percentage listed on enchanted items in your inventory stays the same. The adjusted percentage is listed under the effect/item in the active effects section of the magic menu.
---
JAFO