So after a couple hundred Skyrim hours, I've just picked up Oblivion

#1WebstedgePosted 3/12/2013 5:17:32 AM
I tried it way back when it was released but never really got into it. But I saw it for like 19 bucks the other day and now I think I'll appreciate it a hell of a lot more since I'm more experienced with TES now.

Any advice/things to expect?
---
https://p.twimg.com/AirgRzVCEAAPBp6.jpg
#2agentspoonPosted 3/12/2013 5:29:51 AM
Dont level up....EVER!
---
HOLY ****! What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!
#3dooyaunastanPosted 3/12/2013 5:33:25 AM
Heed the guards' advice when they tell you "Stop right there, you criminal scum!"
---
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. - Harlan Ellison
#4D34D2R1T35Posted 3/12/2013 5:39:37 AM
Endurance applies health and does not retroactively look back at your levels, get to capped endurance making sure to get +5 endurance every level

Major skills influence your level, get +10 in any one of those and you're going to level.
Minor skills do no influence your level, you can push them as high as you want.

A +10 gained in any skill per level will give you the added benefit of a +5 in it's sphere of influence upon level up. If you say get 10 heavy armor on your main skill, and swing a blunt one handed weapon which is an off skill and you get it to 10 you are elgible for +5str and +5 endurance.
---
I don't always browse Gamefaqs but when I do
I prefer to keep urban dictionary open and in another tab
#5D34D2R1T35Posted 3/12/2013 5:40:18 AM
Also browse UESP and the oblivion boards, this board is mostly full of trolls.
---
#6Webstedge(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2013 5:43:58 AM
Yeah I've heard about the leveling system. Is it really that complicated or can I figure it out myself? Your summary seems pretty tractable
---
https://p.twimg.com/AirgRzVCEAAPBp6.jpg
#7Lazy JonesPosted 3/12/2013 5:45:48 AM
Dont level up....EVER

Well, maybe no ever but you do have to be much more careful with leveling. I leveled a character the "wrong" way, made the game very difficult. Cool if that's what you want, but I didn't enjoy it. I would recommend you read up on leveling before you get going. Even before you pick you major skills.
---
This is gonna sound weird, but for a second, I think you took on the shape of a unicorn
PSN:drpokerface
#8D34D2R1T35Posted 3/12/2013 5:50:28 AM
Webstedge posted...
Yeah I've heard about the leveling system. Is it really that complicated or can I figure it out myself? Your summary seems pretty tractable

Yeah it's not that bad, just make sure to level one of the endurance skills always to 10 before level up.

Levelling two other skills relevant to your class build is usually also a plus

Just to recap

30 skill levels per level up

10 to a major skill
10 to a minor skill
10 to a minor skill
until capped one of those skills must be an endurance skill.

Also enjoy spellmaking! spellmaking was one of my favourite things about oblivion and I am sad they took it out in skyrim.
---
#9masterpug53Posted 3/12/2013 6:29:31 AM
If you worry about power-leveling on your first playthrough, you will have a miserable time.

Your stat bonuses are determined by how many levels you've gained in the three corresponding skills during that level. Strength, for example, is tied to Blade, Blunt, and Hand2hand. If you gain at least 10 skill levels across these three skills, you will get the maximum +5 bonus to select for strength.

I'm only telling you this^ so you know how it works - On my first playthrough, I didn't power-level and still got all of my stats save Luck near 100 simply by choosing the highest bonuses every time I leveled up, and that's exactly what you should do to.

As a previous poster said, Endurance is the stat you want to get to 100 asap, because it determines how much health you gain on level-up.

And do not put any points into luck. Doing so is useless, unless you are a die-hard completionist. The only thing luck really affects is the success rate of Mehrune's Razor's insta-kill.
---
Simple questions deserve long-winded answers that no one will bother to read.
#10IamI3rianPosted 3/12/2013 6:52:53 AM
Just play however and move the difficulty slider.

Or, you could use a pen and paper to keep track of each stat increase, using trainers & grinding to make absolutely certain you get 5/5/5 or 5/5/1 every level so you don't get 'gimped' then turn the difficulty up after wasting 30 or so hours of your life on not actually playing the game.

Either way, same effect.

It's a fantastic game, when you leave all the OCD gamer baggage at the door.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya.
Little pig, little pig let me in!