is it worth doing the master mage missions to get the rewards?

#1The_N8dogPosted 3/15/2013 2:09:22 PM
I don't regularly use magic. Some conjuration...
Is the reward some master level spells that cost 600 or 700? If so, then I guess there's no point in getting them. I'm just a bit of a completionist and hate to have quests unfinished.

Is it worth it to "Oghma Infinium" my way up the magic ranks, or should I just leave that to the mages?
---
Retrouprising.com - Just about the best video game site ever made!
#2SpoonForkKnifePosted 3/15/2013 2:12:09 PM
I am pretty sure after you complete the quests you can buy spells that you otherwise wouldn't be able to.
---
7+7=cat tango+cash=marshmallows I like spoons
There is a direct correlation between the sales of Alphabetty spaghetti and the intelligence of cows
#3BipBapBamPosted 3/15/2013 2:15:31 PM
honestly all of the master spells suck so even if you ARE a mage they aren't worth doing
---
Victory is my destiny.
GT: Noitrez
#4ShmickMofoPosted 3/15/2013 2:16:18 PM
As far as conjuration is concerned you just get a flame/frost/storm thrall. Basically your atronach but they stay with you until they die. If you have the half cost perks they are decent enough, and if you enchant to reduce the cost more they are pretty great seeing as they don't drain all your magicka.
The cost really depends on how dependent you are on magicka. If you use weapons to fight and an atronach as back up then the cost wouldn't be as important imo
---
I am as serious as a juicy batch of AIDS- SkunkySkunk
#5The_N8dog(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 2:18:06 PM(edited)
Yeah, but my magic is only around 400, and I have absolutely no magic skill/perk tree upgrades. It sounds like it wouldnt be beneficial to complete, unless I just want to have the missions completed.
---
#6FreeMan5407Posted 3/15/2013 2:17:31 PM
The_N8dog posted...
I don't regularly use magic. Some conjuration...
Is the reward some master level spells that cost 600 or 700? If so, then I guess there's no point in getting them. I'm just a bit of a completionist and hate to have quests unfinished.

Is it worth it to "Oghma Infinium" my way up the magic ranks, or should I just leave that to the mages?

yes the spells have a very high cost, but you can complete the quest and buy the spells later
#7NicodaemosPosted 3/15/2013 2:22:37 PM
Destruction - If you don't plan on using a guide, not really. Only 1 non-garbo spell.

Restoration - Questionable. Restoration becomes little more than a gimmick after Adept spells, and the merchant often glitches out after this quest, making it hard to buy one of the new spells.

Conjuration - Absolutely. But you either need to take the master perk (not bad since Conjuration is the only school where the master perk isn't useless) or get some serious cost reduction.

Illusion - Sure.

Alteration - Spells aren't that amazing, but it's easy to do.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#8Mick65Posted 3/15/2013 2:26:54 PM
The_N8dog posted...
Yeah, but my magic is only around 400, and I have absolutely no magic skill/perk tree upgrades. It sounds like it wouldnt be beneficial to complete, unless I just want to have the missions completed.

As far as I remember, the only 'cheevos' you get is by completing the College of Winterhold quest line. And you don't need to cast any spells to do that.
Kinda stupid that you can be the Arch Mage and not know anything more than flames and healing, but that's the way it is.
---
JAFO
#9The_N8dog(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 2:37:20 PM
TY all!
---