Trying master, getting kicked up and down the mountain

#1StormthornPosted 3/16/2013 9:49:01 PM
I usually play the game with the difficulty turned way down. I want my weapons to feel sharp and my spells deadly. If I Icy Spear a guy in the face, I want him to die, regardless of what level of bandit or foresworn he is.

But I started playing on Adept with a mixed-bag character. He can do a lot, but doesnt have the perk focus to do anything great. Died once at level four when a Frost Troll just smacked me and I died. Havnt died since.

So then I went to Master (remembering all the complaints people made about it being too easy still) and rolled a new dude....Dear. God.
He died to the first enemy he fought: A stormcloak with a greathammer. The guy just up and killcam'd him.

Rolled a new character (I play my over-adept difficulty characters DiD) and he made it out but the first wolf he met gave him a disease that cut his physical damage by 25% and I didnt notice until after I cleared Embershard Mine. My steel sword was unto tinfoil and my armor was like paper mache.

He hasnt died yet but I cant see how anyone actually plays on this difficulty. The one strategy I think might work is to go from city to city and craft like a madman for hours until I can make some legendary dual-enchanted gear AND THEN do my first quest...but that isnt really my thing. I dont want to raise crafting skills artificially fast.

So now im stuck trying to figure out a way to survive that doesnt rely on exploits or craft skill grinding.
#2Dark_ApostatePosted 3/16/2013 9:58:12 PM
Make the best bow you can and fire from stealth. Use poisons as well as summoning assistance during fights. Never be afraid to retreat and regain stealth.
#3Stormthorn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 10:02:50 PM
Dark_Apostate posted...
Make the best bow you can and fire from stealth. Use poisons as well as summoning assistance during fights. Never be afraid to retreat and regain stealth.

Yeah. Thats how I got past the frost troll on my second try in my Adept playthrough and later took out a Falmer I had no buisness fighting at level 7. Shoot bow. Run. Hide. Repeat about fifteen times.
#4MythrenderPosted 3/16/2013 10:18:59 PM
You won't be able to run in swinging wild, even a fight with a stormcloak in the Helgen opening is going to require more thought, dodging blows, actually blocking if needed etc.
---
GT: Nickguy
#5TarentulaPosted 3/16/2013 10:38:32 PM
I'm the same. I like shooting an arrow in someones face and seeing him die instead of him taking 10 before dying. It's the same with Fallout. I want it to be realistic, just not on me ;p

My strategy is to summon 2 Dremora Lords to keep the enemy busy while I sneak attack with arrows. I try to use the environment to keep out of harms way. Which is easy when fighting frost trolls because they can't use ranged attacks. Just get on something like a pillar. You will have to have a good amount of perks invested in different skills though.

Fus Roh Da works wonders with enemies on cliffs.
Elemental Fury and dual swords is OP
Slow time and become ethereal are great too.

So my advice in general is to think/play cheap.
#6JiminipPosted 3/16/2013 11:41:27 PM
Dark_Apostate posted...

Is this what all the master players do?
---
'Even with an IQ of 6000, it's still brown trouser time.'
#7BipBapBamPosted 3/16/2013 11:44:25 PM
typically if you want to play on master during the low levels you need cheese tactics like jumping on a rock enemies can't reach and spam ranged attacks

it's really boring
---
Victory is my destiny.
GT: Noitrez
#8Evil_SandwichPosted 3/17/2013 12:36:47 AM
Have you tried NOT sucking?

Seems to work fine for me.
#9silverhunter16Posted 3/17/2013 12:42:34 AM
Evil_Sandwich posted...
Have you tried NOT sucking?

Seems to work fine for me.

They're no need for that kind of talk, TC is just looking for some advice is all.
---
"Okay, look. We both said a lot of things your going to regret but I think we can put our differences behind use. For science. You monster.
#10byerly724Posted 3/17/2013 12:45:21 AM
play on lower difficulties but limit the amount of level ups/boosts to your HP that you are allowed. This will give you Better killing capabilities and the enemies will still feel like they can actually kill you.