Player character in the game version of Skyrim....

#1Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 3/17/2013 8:23:21 PM
So video game wise, is the Dragonborn the partial Mary Sue/Gary Stu of the TES universe (in Skyrim that is)?

- Able to be good at everything.

- Able to get away with anything and just get either a fine or some jail time.

- Able to lead all the guilds in the province, yet have no one know who they are.

- Can enchant, and smith a set of armor and some weapons better than any daedric artifact can be.

- Able to best anything with relative ease, aside from dragons.

The player character of the game version of the TES universe during the timeline that Skryim is playing out in, fits into being a Mary Sue/Gary Stu almost perfectly...
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
You do good, people will hate. You do bad, people will hate. You just sit there, people will hate. Welcome to the COD community.
#2IamI3rianPosted 3/17/2013 8:28:43 PM
WTF is Mary Sue/Gary Stu?

I'd argue that you're a better dragon than the dragons are too. = )
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya.
My dragon shout flow is sweeter than a SodaStream!
#3CRtwentyPosted 3/17/2013 8:29:32 PM
Based on how the devs have handled the PCs from the previous games I'm gonna say No.

When TESVI drops it will be revealed that everything we saw in Skyrim happened, but there will be no evidence that it was the Dragonborn. (The MQ and Dragonborn DLC excluded, since nobody else is capable of finishing those)
---
"I just came out of a PIE, you swooning harpy! That is totally bat-**** insane!" - Mehrunes Dagon
#4Kant_Remoob_Eht(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 8:34:55 PM(edited)
IamI3rian posted...
WTF is Mary Sue/Gary Stu?

I'd argue that you're a better dragon than the dragons are too. = )

Mary Sue/Gary Stu (female/male), are names for a character that are well usually overpowered in a story/piece of media. They can do no wrong, they can't fail, they are good at everything, everyone likes them, they can do anything.... I sort of forgot the rest, but pretty much they can do anything... no matter what.

That's why I said they Player character in the game version of the TES universe fits into that category.

CRtwenty posted...
Based on how the devs have handled the PCs from the previous games I'm gonna say No.

When TESVI drops it will be revealed that everything we saw in Skyrim happened, but there will be no evidence that it was the Dragonborn. (The MQ and Dragonborn DLC excluded, since nobody else is capable of finishing those)

I was talking about the small instance that the in game version of the Skyrim timeline that takes place in this game.... not in the actual lore itself. In lore... the Dragonborn and the rest of the people who were the player characters weren't mary sues/gary stus. In game however...
---
You do good, people will hate. You do bad, people will hate. You just sit there, people will hate. Welcome to the COD community.
#5legend4ryg4m3rPosted 3/17/2013 8:40:31 PM
well I guess you could say so, but each of those things you mentioned are intended to be played by different characters, not by one person. That's why the only "canon" events done by the Dragonborn are the MQ and the DB DLC. Anything else was done by someone, but not necessarily the Last Dragonborn. It's the way Bethesda dealt with previous Heroes, and also why I wish conflicting factions would come back. It's honestly ridiculous that a character of a single playstyle is able to become the LEADER of so many different factions
#6IamI3rianPosted 3/17/2013 8:45:54 PM
I want to start this off by saying I love everyone.

It's honestly ridiculous that a character of a single playstyle is able to become the LEADER of so many different factions

Is this the new board meme today? Every thread I click has this discussion going on somewhere.

@Kant... odd that I've never heard that before. Fits the PC rather perfectly though. Not canon of course, but gameplay-wise nonetheless.

If I'm thane of [city], I can eat everyone in the city who will die, then apologize and name-drop my way out of it. = ) Sounds pretty Gary Stu to me.
---
#7Kant_Remoob_Eht(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 8:49:25 PM
IamI3rian posted...
I want to start this off by saying I love everyone.

It's honestly ridiculous that a character of a single playstyle is able to become the LEADER of so many different factions

Is this the new board meme today? Every thread I click has this discussion going on somewhere.

@Kant... odd that I've never heard that before. Fits the PC rather perfectly though. Not canon of course, but gameplay-wise nonetheless.

If I'm thane of [city], I can eat everyone in the city who will die, then apologize and name-drop my way out of it. = ) Sounds pretty Gary Stu to me.

Yeah... lore wise the PCs are in no way Gary Stus/Mary Sues.

But gameplay wise... they actually are... well in Oblivion/Skyrim that is. Not so sure about the ones before Morrowind.

Now that you bring the thane thing up.... the PC in game can be thane of all... well most of the holds.
---
#8MC2011Posted 3/17/2013 8:50:11 PM
Alright, I'll start this off by saying.... 13rian, I still have you tagged as "Potential Rapist" from quite a while ago.

That said... Never heard of this Gary Stu/Mary Sue stuff, but now I have the urge to kill them as they seem like a potential threat.... Then maybe consume them to gain their power and courage.
---
T8e w*!m+% i, wh[>e 1)v=d [o6r %8fe.
The woman in white saved your life.
#9IamI3rianPosted 3/17/2013 8:54:00 PM
All, unless I'm missing something. Which is totally unreasonable when you consider political climate & expectation of service (as a thane).

Either way, I grow weary of talking about this. No offense.

You neglected: Champion of all (available) Daedric Princes, 'Master' level (90+) in all skills, richest man/woman in the world, and (potentially) the wealthiest land owner in the province. Though I'm unclear if you actually own any of the houses or just get to live in/build them.

Oh, and DLC stuff too.
---
#10IamI3rianPosted 3/17/2013 8:55:09 PM
MC2011 posted...
Alright, I'll start this off by saying.... 13rian, I still have you tagged as "Potential Rapist" from quite a while ago.

= )

Potential?

Seriously though, what's that about? Kinda funny though. I'm happy I dunno how to tag people. I can only imagine what would be up there.
---