Player character in the game version of Skyrim....

#21MC2011Posted 3/17/2013 9:44:52 PM
Well we got trolls, and we got frost trolls... Fire trolls don't make a hell of a lot of sense, and the only other thing would be Health trolls.

They'll give you a friendly beating that will heal wounds, recover your strength and cure all diseases.

... OHGODWHATTHEHELLAREYOUDOINGSTOPTHATHEALTHTROLLINEVERASKEDFORTHIS!
---
http://i.imgur.com/zHLma5j.jpg
You're next...
#22CRtwentyPosted 3/17/2013 9:56:50 PM
ITT people with no idea how to correctly use the phrase "Gary/Mary Stu"
---
"I just came out of a PIE, you swooning harpy! That is totally bat-**** insane!" - Mehrunes Dagon
#23IamI3rianPosted 3/17/2013 10:01:41 PM
I think we established that.

Do explain, since I'm not about to bother looking it up.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya.
My dragon shout flow is sweeter than a SodaStream!
#24CRtwentyPosted 3/17/2013 11:18:55 PM
IamI3rian posted...

In this case the OP is complaining about the MC being a Sue for what are essentially gameplay features. "Mary Sue" is something that is applied to characterization, which as TES has shown in regards to their MCs from prev games (who are just as powerful gameplay wise) is always understated.

In-game your character is an unstoppable killing machine that takes control of all of Skyrims guilds and can do everything better than anybody else.

Storywise (which is where Sue traits come into play) he barely does any of that and those acts will be attributed to nameles "heroes".
---
"I just came out of a PIE, you swooning harpy! That is totally bat-**** insane!" - Mehrunes Dagon
#25Kant_Remoob_Eht(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 11:22:01 PM
CRtwenty posted...
IamI3rian posted...

In this case the OP is complaining about the MC being a Sue for what are essentially gameplay features. "Mary Sue" is something that is applied to characterization, which as TES has shown in regards to their MCs from prev games (who are just as powerful gameplay wise) is always understated.

In-game your character is an unstoppable killing machine that takes control of all of Skyrims guilds and can do everything better than anybody else.

Storywise (which is where Sue traits come into play) he barely does any of that and those acts will be attributed to nameles "heroes".

Dragonborn in game is still a sue, though he/she isn't in the lore. I still say he has sue traits in game, better than everyone else, everyone depends on him, he will always win... etc. while not a full sue, the DB does fit under being a partial sue character.... in game that is.
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
You do good, people will hate. You do bad, people will hate. You just sit there, people will hate. Welcome to the COD community.
#26CRtwentyPosted 3/17/2013 11:26:03 PM
Kant_Remoob_Eht posted...
Dragonborn in game is still a sue, though he/she isn't in the lore. I still say he has sue traits in game, better than everyone else, everyone depends on him, he will always win... etc. while not a full sue, the DB does fit under being a partial sue character.... in game that is.

Using that definition pretty much every single video game character in history is a Sue. Is Mario a Sue because he always beats Bowser and is the only one who bothers to do it?
---
#27Kant_Remoob_Eht(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 11:30:24 PM
CRtwenty posted...
Kant_Remoob_Eht posted...

Using that definition pretty much every single video game character in history is a Sue. Is Mario a Sue because he always beats Bowser and is the only one who bothers to do it?

Yes.... yes he is... he technically can't lose, as the only way to beat the game... is to defeat bowser and win... which is sort of weird. But I'm not sure if he falls entirely under the sue category... he could just be partially under it like the DB is.
---
You do good, people will hate. You do bad, people will hate. You just sit there, people will hate. Welcome to the COD community.
#28DragonLWPosted 3/17/2013 11:32:41 PM
I personally operate on the theory that the <nameless and formless so you might as well insert yourself here through this avatar> characters are Sues to start with. That is the point of them. A Sue is always a form of wish fulfillment for the author or in this case player. Immersion over all else players in particular are more guilty of Sueing than say someone who walks up and is 'ooh a game' and runs around doing everything they can simply because its a video game.

The reason most of you haven't heard this term is because it hails from fanfiction. It is a reference to some of the first Star Trek fanfictions where a character by the name of Mary Sue was able to do everything, was loved by everybody, had a lover from the main cast, and so on. Its considered bad writing to make such a character in an established world setting like that. It technically doesn't apply here due to the nature of this game though I think.
---
I used to tilt giants until someone convinced me they were windmills. Now I still tilt at giants but they have spinning arms.
#29charon78auPosted 3/18/2013 4:45:53 AM
In answer to topic - no.
---
(Im)mature Aussie gamer. Don't pay the ferry man. Don't even fix a price.
GT: Charon78
#30Kant_Remoob_Eht(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2013 10:40:56 AM
charon78au posted...
In answer to topic - no.

I still think does gameplay wise.
---