Side with Dawnguard + Be a Vampire?

#1auronrenouillePosted 3/20/2013 12:20:29 PM
I know it's not very good roleplay, but... I'm going to start a new replay when Patch 1.9 comes out because my current game has encountered too many fun-killing bugs, including the Marked for Death/Drain Vitality/Arngeir shout wall bug, where I didn't even realize the problem until it was too late - it appears that I'd have to go back 30 levels or more so to fix that, and by then I may as well start fresh. My Lydia also vanished with the Shield of Solitude, and I now know that the Shield's magic resistance would have opened up a lot of great options for enchanting :(. I always end up playing a stealth character but I'd like to add magic to the mix - usually I shy away from mage characters in Elder Scrolls games but I'd like to give it a try.

Point being, I played the Dawnguard DLC to completion on the vampire side, and I strongly prefer vampirism over lycanthropy; I don't care for either vampire lord or werewolf forms, but it appears that vampirism has far more benefits in human form than lycanthropy does. I also love Serana as a follower; she sneaks well, good for my stealth play style, and she seems to actually be pretty useful. And I hate ending the storyline stuck with two Elder Scrolls, even if they don't actually weigh the 40lb that the game shows them as weighing.

So can I pick Dawnguard side, ending the quest line both as a vampire and with Serana as a follower? If I become a vampire when I enter the Soul Cairn, I think I'd have to cure it, but can I cure it and then go vampire again afterwards via Serana? I have the impression that Serana makes it a revolving door, whereby I can cure/become vampire multiple times?

I don't have to figure it out immediately, as I know that I have to delete Dawnguard until I learn all three Marked for Death shouts - thankfully, I always join the Dark Brotherhood early in the game, so that'll be doable at least.
---
- Time is a river, and history repeats.
#2zane0144Posted 3/20/2013 12:37:10 PM
auronrenouille posted...
So can I pick Dawnguard side, ending the quest line both as a vampire and with Serana as a follower? If I become a vampire when I enter the Soul Cairn, I think I'd have to cure it, but can I cure it and then go vampire again afterwards via Serana? I have the impression that Serana makes it a revolving door, whereby I can cure/become vampire multiple times?

Yes, yes, and yes
---
Song of the Day: Battle for Freedom FFXII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PjEN-zFlDQ
#3SolidSaiyanPosted 3/20/2013 12:53:12 PM
It doesn't matter who you side with the quest still plays out exactly the same and Serena will turn u into a vampire lord after u finish the quest line if u wish.
#4auronrenouille(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 1:19:23 PM
Interesting, thanks.

So I finished the Dawnguard main quest line as a vampire but kept being attacked by the Dawnguard - if I finish it on the other side, do the vampire attacks continue?
---
#5martingolding96Posted 3/20/2013 1:55:16 PM
vampire attacks continue regardless of the side you choice they just become less frequent
#6kodosatozPosted 3/20/2013 2:37:36 PM
Not to commandeer the topic, but I don't want to start a new one for a relevant question...

Just so I'm clear in reading this, I can do Dawnguard, siding with DG and get a fully upgraded Crossbow, and STILL become a Vampire Lord?
---
GT - Kodos Atoz
http://ddogmachat.chatango.com/ - Live Xbox 360 Dragon's Dogma chat. Q&A, Ur-Dragon Updates, Trades, General Chat
#7martingolding96Posted 3/20/2013 2:40:57 PM(edited)
as long as serana isn't cured of vamparism yes
#8DocOdinePosted 3/20/2013 3:44:25 PM
kodosatoz posted...
Not to commandeer the topic, but I don't want to start a new one for a relevant question...

Just so I'm clear in reading this, I can do Dawnguard, siding with DG and get a fully upgraded Crossbow, and STILL become a Vampire Lord?

Yes. You give up some bonuses, though. Like 2 amulets/rings to boost vampire lord, a chalice blessing to drain, and the ability to turn your spouse.
---
Life is a concert, and I'll be your closing act.
#9auronrenouille(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 6:05:15 PM
Cool, good to know. Those bonuses don't sound all that hot to me; I tried to use Vampire Lord in some necromancer-occupied forts but ended up just beating on my followers; I'll stick with my play style of putting arrows through everyone's faces :).
---