Do Christians identify with Talos as the equivelant of God?

#101RevolverBlackPosted 3/22/2013 11:59:10 PM
JamaalCharles39 posted...
If you want to compare a fantasy religion to Christianity, then please compare it to the silmarillion by Tolkien, The first few chapters are almost the exact same as the creation of the world

God= Ilķvatar
Morgoth=satan
Balrogs=demons
Ainur=saints and angels

You do know Tolkien was a Christian, right?
---
Have a nice day.
#102obishawnPosted 3/23/2013 12:45:24 AM
rx54 posted...
obishawn posted...
rx54, you'll never find the proof you need to convince you that Christianity is real. Those who believe have the proof, its a spiritual experience that only comes from believing, so those who find it hard to believe in Jesus will not experience this proof.

And while I'm sure you'll reply with some comment that mocks and belittles Christians, what I said is the truth.

You want an honest answer?
I think people who genuinely believe in religion actually do feel mentally and physically different, I bet even I would if I could believe in it. You know why?

Placebo effect.
Give someone a sugar pill and tell them it will make them less depressed and feel better and they actually will a bit, if they believe it.
Religion is a sugar pill to me.

Like I said, its something you haven't personally experienced, so you can't comment on it intellectually, as seen in your reply.
---
Winter is coming
#103BeidhaPosted 3/23/2013 12:55:55 AM
RevolverBlack posted...
If you want to compare a fantasy religion to Christianity, then please compare it to the silmarillion by Tolkien, The first few chapters are almost the exact same as the creation of the world

God= Ilķvatar
Morgoth=satan
Balrogs=demons
Ainur=saints and angels

And best friends with CS Lewis.
---
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep
#104JamaalCharles39Posted 3/23/2013 12:58:02 AM
Beidha posted...
RevolverBlack posted...

God= Ilķvatar
Morgoth=satan
Balrogs=demons
Ainur=saints and angels

And best friends with CS Lewis.

He also started the LOTR in a trench during WW1 im pretty sure
---
Tony Gonzalez is the best tight end ever. Not Winslow SR., Gates,Gronk, or Mackey are even close to being as good as him.
#105rx54Posted 3/23/2013 1:16:10 AM
obishawn posted...
rx54 posted...
obishawn posted...
rx54, you'll never find the proof you need to convince you that Christianity is real. Those who believe have the proof, its a spiritual experience that only comes from believing, so those who find it hard to believe in Jesus will not experience this proof.

And while I'm sure you'll reply with some comment that mocks and belittles Christians, what I said is the truth.

I think people who genuinely believe in religion actually do feel mentally and physically different, I bet even I would if I could believe in it. You know why?

Placebo effect.
Give someone a sugar pill and tell them it will make them less depressed and feel better and they actually will a bit, if they believe it.

Like I said, its something you haven't personally experienced, so you can't comment on it intellectually, as seen in your reply.

Explain how placebo isn't plausible?
If I genuinely believed someone or something was guiding me through life, or watching me and looking out for me, obviously that would bring me comfort and make me calmer, happier, and more optimistic.

You can't give an intellectual explanation as to why my reply is not intellectual. At least I can explain myself.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvSMp7T2Kes
^ Drugs.
#106obishawnPosted 3/23/2013 1:36:08 AM
rx54 posted...
obishawn posted...
rx54 posted...
obishawn posted...

Placebo effect.

If I genuinely believed someone or something was guiding me through life, or watching me and looking out for me, obviously that would bring me comfort and make me calmer, happier, and more optimistic.

You can't give an intellectual explanation as to why my reply is not intellectual. At least I can explain myself.

I have already explained it; it is something you haven't personally experienced and therefore can't speak intelligently about. That's not rocket science.

And the fact that you keep regurgitating the placebo theory is proof. You don't believe in God or Jesus, that's fine. I look at you no differently whether you do or don't. But you will never understand what it is to be born again and you'll always find ways to explain it all away. But until you experience it for yourself, the simple fact will always remain; you haven't experienced it so you don't truly know what's happening.
---
Winter is coming
#107LenneValkiryePosted 3/23/2013 1:49:08 AM
Are you kidding me? Why would consider a fictional character the equivalent of God?
#108rx54Posted 3/23/2013 1:50:11 AM
obishawn posted...
rx54 posted...
obishawn posted...
rx54 posted...
obishawn posted...

Placebo effect.

I have already explained it; it is something you haven't personally experienced and therefore can't speak intelligently about. That's not rocket science.

And the fact that you keep regurgitating the placebo theory is proof. You don't believe in God or Jesus, that's fine. I look at you no differently whether you do or don't. But you will never understand what it is to be born again and you'll always find ways to explain it all away. But until you experience it for yourself, the simple fact will always remain; you haven't experienced it so you don't truly know what's happening.

Yeah, you can only understand things if you've experienced them, that's why all astrologers have been to the sun and planets that have been discovered.

If religion were a sugar pill, and all of its effects were simply felt because the taker/believer believed they would feel them, could this not be possible?
Are you telling me that the placebo effect does not exist and that there is no way that believing anything could make you feel different even if there were no actual effects?

You fail to explain how if someone is given a sugar pill and told that it will make them happier, that it actually will.
You fail to realize that if someone is told believing in religion will make them happier, it could do the same thing.
You fail to explain how it is impossible that any of the effects or feelings that believers of Christianity experience aren't simply experienced because they believe they will feel them, regardless of whether Christianity is true or false.

Maybe I can't understand it, but apparently you can't understand how this is a possibility, or refuse to address it.
---
^ Drugs.
#109BeidhaPosted 3/23/2013 1:56:08 AM
rx54 posted...
Yeah, you can only understand things if you've experienced them, that's why all astrologers have been to the sun and planets that have been discovered.

If religion were a sugar pill, and all of its effects were simply felt because the taker/believer believed they would feel them, could this not be possible?
Are you telling me that the placebo effect does not exist and that there is no way that believing anything could make you feel different even if there were no actual effects?

You fail to explain how if someone is given a sugar pill and told that it will make them happier, that it actually will.
You fail to realize that if someone is told believing in religion will make them happier, it could do the same thing.
You fail to explain how it is impossible that any of the effects or feelings that believers of Christianity experience aren't simply experienced because they believe they will feel them, regardless of whether Christianity is true or false.

Maybe I can't understand it, but apparently you can't understand how this is a possibility, or refuse to address it.

Youíve got to be kidding me. Iíve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. Itís just common sense.
---
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep
#110rx54Posted 3/23/2013 2:02:43 AM
Beidha posted...
rx54 posted...

Youíve got to be kidding me. Iíve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. Itís just common sense.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
---
^ Drugs.