Getting all the DLC next week, few questions. (Potential Spoilers)

#1Pure_LionHeartPosted 3/23/2013 10:30:39 AM
With the sale, figure it's best to just grab them since I'm pretty much sold on them (well, Dragonborn and Dawnguard. But Hearthfire is like 200 points, so what the Hell), and just have a few questions.

First off, might be a bit of a stupid one but it never crossed my mind to even think of it: Do I need to start a new character/game? I can't imagine I do, but I figure I better clarify this right away.

Second, I've heard lots about the vampire attacks, and as I guy who likes to keep all the NPCs around that he can, it's likely going to drive me nuts. But from what I understand, they stop permanently as soon as you complete the main quest for either faction, correct? And they start as soon as you install?

I've also heard about a glitch involving Breezehome's Alchemy Lab. I have it already, of course, so just wondering if they will affect me, or if it's even still an active glitch.

Lastly, assuming I don't need to start anew like I mentioned first, is there anything I should hold off on doing in the vanilla game until I start or complete the DLC? Or anything I should make absolutely sure to complete first (All I'm aware of at the moment is to get all three Marked For Death words to avoid a conflict with a new Shout)?

My plan is just to buy them all, but only install one at a time as I go through the game, if that makes any difference. I wanted to pretty much do everything I could in vanilla before loading up Dawnguard, then Dragonborn after that's tapped out. The exception is Hearthfire, which I'll probably install right away, assuming again there's no bugs or issues.

I appreciate any help. I know these are likely old questions everyone's already answered a fair few when each expansion came out, but I've only just got back into the game a few weeks ago. Thanks again.
---
Home? We can't go home. There's a line men like us have to cross. If we're lucky, we do what's necessary, and then we die.
#2mystic belmontPosted 3/23/2013 10:32:44 AM
You can continue with your old character, but you may want to start a fresh one (I did for Dragonborn).
---
"Freedom was meaningless without ownership and control over one's own body" -Henry McNeal Turner
[Evil Republican]
#3sunbro1Posted 3/23/2013 10:33:36 AM
1.Yes you can continue with your current char
2.People exaggerate the attack too much
3.Don't think so
4.nope
---
Ours is the fury
#4Happy_RobotPosted 3/23/2013 10:38:10 AM
This is going on sale?! I just bought Dragonborn yesterday, and it was 1600msp!!!
---
D:
#5Pure_LionHeart(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 11:01:12 AM
Sounds like my fears were mostly exaggerated then. Perfect. Thanks very much guys.
Looking forward to trying the new stuff out in the near future.

You can continue with your old character, but you may want to start a fresh one (I did for Dragonborn).

Oh, I'll no doubt do so eventually (maybe even create a separate side-character when I start just for the DLCs or something), but for the moment I'm trucking through a ton of quests on my current one and I'd like to see how far I can take him, DLC included.

This is going on sale?! I just bought Dragonborn yesterday, and it was 1600msp!!!

>_<
Yeah, it's all going half-off on the 26th man, sorry.
---
Gentlemen, welcome to Dubai.
#6Happy_RobotPosted 3/23/2013 11:10:06 AM
I should have looked for sales first ;(
---
D:
#7TheRealPhattyJPosted 3/23/2013 12:37:52 PM
More info on the vamp attacks....

They start around level 10. Most people get vampires scaled to their levels, I got hit at lv10 by a Nightlord and 2 Master Vamps but everyone else that chimed in on the discussion didn't.

They only happen at night, or at least they're only supposed to happen at night. First character I played through DG with was level 60 something and his vampires didn't care if it was day or night. The other 2 didn't have this problem, which is good 'cause it's not supposed to happen ;) To solve the problem, when you fast travel just make sure you arrive in the daytime and there won't be any attacks. Unless you're game bugs out like mine, and then they'll mostly come out at night. Mostly....
#8mystic belmontPosted 3/23/2013 2:08:24 PM
I haven't encountered vamlures really, at least not as much as I would hope so. I am level 41, so I would expect to receive at least a couple of them.

The same for dragon cultists, but I haven't started the main quest, so I assume it's the trigger for them showing up.
---
"Freedom was meaningless without ownership and control over one's own body" -Henry McNeal Turner
[Evil Republican]
#9TheRealPhattyJPosted 3/23/2013 2:32:15 PM
mystic belmont posted...
I haven't encountered vamlures really, at least not as much as I would hope so. I am level 41, so I would expect to receive at least a couple of them.

The same for dragon cultists, but I haven't started the main quest, so I assume it's the trigger for them showing up.

Bingo on the main quest...you have to get to a certain point where somebody notices that you're Dragonborn. After that....
#10mystic belmontPosted 3/23/2013 3:39:17 PM
It's interesting how different the game feels by not doing the main quest. I'm near the end of the "No Stone Unturned" quest (23/24) and I wanted to leave actual dungeon crawling till I had the passive.
---
[Evil Republican]