Tips for maximizing Enchanting experience?

#1MUDBUTTPosted 3/23/2013 10:44:23 PM
I searched threads and got some good ideas for enchanting basics, but I'm wondering what tips you would offer someone looking to level up enchanting quickly.

I have the Banish enchantment and I have been making iron daggers and using petty/lesser soul gems.

Is it better to use nicer weapons? Does the caliber of the soul gem affect the experience output? Should I improve the weapons at the grindstone before I enchant?

Thanks for the help.
---
4 8 15 16 23 42 - Got it Memorized?
GT: CptReilly
#2jammymacsterPosted 3/23/2013 10:55:43 PM(edited)
When enchanting items the experience you get is always the same (before the stone or rested exp modifiers). It doesn't matter what items you enchant, what you enchant with or what soul gem you use to enchant, the experience will always be the same.

The only time there is variation with experience is when disenchanting items. The higher the value of the item the more experience you will gain when you disenchant it. So disenchanting an enchantment on a higher value item and, if possible, tempered at a grindstone or workbench will yield more experience.

For enchanting items for experience just gather as many soul gems as you can and enchant loads and loads of items. Obviously make sure you have the well-rested and mage stone bonuses.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Zso2L.jpg
#3MUDBUTT(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 11:02:31 PM
Thanks, I will activate the mage stone. If I'm a werewolf, do I need to cure myself of that in order to get the well-rested bonus?
---
4 8 15 16 23 42 - Got it Memorized?
GT: CptReilly
#4VilcorPosted 3/23/2013 11:31:37 PM
MUDBUTT posted...
Thanks, I will activate the mage stone. If I'm a werewolf, do I need to cure myself of that in order to get the well-rested bonus?

Yes you would. I would suggest, if you are just grinding for experience, to get the Atherium Crown if you have the dawnguard dlc. That way you would be able to have the mage stone and lover stone active.
---
My brother asked "Why are you so Anti-social?" I answered "I am not Anti-social. I just lack any interest in interacting with stupid people"
#5HoonDingPosted 3/23/2013 11:55:35 PM
You really shouldn't sacrifice your lycanthropy just to level up Enchanting faster. It's not that painfully slow. Mage Stone (and Lover Stone if you get the Aetherial Crown) is plenty enough. Hell, the hardest part is getting the soul gems, and then getting the items to enchant (not that hard if you're simultaneously grinding smithing.)
---
Don't let the dragon drag on!
#6HoonDingPosted 3/23/2013 11:58:49 PM
Oh, and speaking of getting Soul Gems and Dawnguard! You'll be absolutely swimming in soul gems by the time you finish going through the Soul Cairn. I'd advise spending some time in there and harvesting from every single soul crevasse (they fill up your soul gems starting from Grand to Petty), and looting the soul gems off of every enemy you kill there. If you just keep an eye out while you're looking for pages of Saint Jiub's Opus, Arvak's skull, and the Conjuration spell tomes, you should have more than enough soul gems.

Oh, and there are lightning rod apparatuses (apparati?) that convert Grand/Greater soul gems into Black soul gems.
---
#7SaintFC_Posted 3/24/2013 12:03:26 AM
HoonDing posted...
Hell, the hardest part is getting the soul gems,

Just go to college of Winterhold, the mage traders have stacks of filled soul gems, you can buy them with your enchanted banish daggers and still make a profit.
---
'The average age of the UK gamer is 28'
#8Max58201Posted 3/24/2013 12:05:45 AM
by lv 20 i had 70 enchanting. just buying every common or lower gem and performing wildlife genocide with a 1 sec soulbound bow and enchanting fear on daggers i made. i didnt remember it lvling so fast
---
Official Occult Iaito of the Dark Souls board.
I just wanted to raise his affection, NOT have him lick my nipples
#9HoonDingPosted 3/24/2013 12:16:09 AM
Just go to college of Winterhold, the mage traders have stacks of filled soul gems, you can buy them with your enchanted banish daggers and still make a profit.

That is if you have the perk to sell daggers to mages. I prefer jewelry, myself, even if it isn't as insanely profitable.
---
#10Oni_TatsujinPosted 3/24/2013 12:25:58 AM
Like the other two crafting skills, the EXP you gain is based on the price of the item you create. Always go for the most expensive enchants possible.
---
The SAFE was slain in battle. A great flaming nautical pyre carries it off to VAULTHALLA.
www.youtube.com/user/Terrafuror - Gimme a view, sweet cheeks ;)